BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #21
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

didnt see this post. i am going to merge the threads.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:53 PM   #22
SVT Amateur
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

So here is your question:

"Can I tether my 8830 to my Mac using Mac OS X with a USB cable?"

It seems like no one has successfully (at least on the forums) done this without using Parallels or Fusion, which means you are actually running Windows while running Mac OS X. I'll try personally to see if I can do this myself (just using Mac OS X as I use Boot Camp to run Windows) and see what I can figure out.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:09 PM   #23
SVT Amateur

Still a no go on the USB. Unless you want to run Fusion or Parallels (which means you will have to install Windows) you will not be able to use your 8830 as a USB modem. It seems like there is a program out there which allows you to do this but I can't find it and it supposedly costs money.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #24
sickchilly
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: 20CFA98A
Carrier: AT&T

Geez guys, you're getting pretty scattered here. Let me summarize with that I know I can personally do on my machine.

My equipment:
1. MacBook Pro 17" with 2.33 GHz Core2Duo and 3 GB of RAM
a. OS X 10.5.2
b. Microsoft Office 2008
c. Mark/Space Missing Sync for BlackBerry 1.03
2. Parallels 3.0 build 5584
a. Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2, all updates applied
b. BB Desktop Manager 4.3
c. Microsoft Office 2003
3. BB Curve 8310
a. OS 4.2.2.184
b. AT&T Service

My capabilities:
1. USB to Parallels: Sync, tether, transfer files, install apps, update OS, etc.
2. Bluetooth to Parallels: no point, haven't tried.
3. USB to Mac: Sync and transfer files.
4. Bluetooth to Mac: Tether and transfer files.

While tethering to either the Mac or Parallels, it is in fact possible to share the internet connection with the other OS. However, this is a big PITA. You must have your Parallels VM Network Adapter set to the "Shared networking" mode and this causes a few problems.

1. It seems that more often than not, both the Mac and PC side fail to get DHCP information from the other. So this requires some static IP assignment. Each time you enable/disable internet connection sharing on each OS, the IP schema can change, so you have to reset static entries each time.

2. Using "Shared networking" mode on my virtual machine prevents me from connecting to my work VPN, so I just don't use it.

So pick your mode of operation. It will depend on what capabilities you want on each OS. You can have full functionality on both sides, just that simultaneously on both side may be cumbersome or simply not practical.

Further, tethering with an Edge device is very painful. Can't wait for 3G BB's. Until then, I just don't tether unless I really have to. And when I know I'll really have to, I bring my Windows Mobile handset and swap SIMs!

Last edited by sickchilly; 03-02-2008 at 08:51 PM..
Old 03-02-2008, 09:45 PM   #25
SVT Amateur

OP, I've got good news. I just successfully tethered my Verizon 8830 using the USB cable and I'm posting this using that connection.

What I did was download the VZAccess Manager for Mac which can be found on the Verizon Wireless website. They say the BlackBerry 8830 is not supported but I just installed it with no issues. It definitely seems faster than using the 8830 as a bluetooth modem.

Here's the link for the software for any of you Verizon Wireless BlackBerry users who want to tether with the USB cord in Mac OS X:
VZAccess Manager

I chose Mac 10.5.x as my operating system, PDA / Advanced Device as my device, and Motorola Q as my hardware. I know it isn't anything close to the BlackBerry but the software is the same for all devices.

Last edited by SVT Amateur; 03-02-2008 at 09:57 PM..
Old 03-03-2008, 01:03 AM   #26
Blackberry fiend
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Default MacBook Air OS 10.5.2 and Verizon BB 8730e tethering

I had no problem setting up the BB 8730e as a tethered modem using a USB cable. I was unable to setup the BB 8730e as a tethered modem using Bluetooth - the 2 devices pair just fine, but when I go to configure the phone, I get a message: "There were no configurable services found on your device. This could be due to services not being enabled on the device, or the device migh not have any services that need to be configured with the computer."

If anyone has been able to use the BB 8730e as a Bluetooth tethered modem, please say so. It sure would be nice to connect to the Internet and especially to my network at work without a cable connecting my laptop to my Blackberry. Or is the throughput too slow using Bluetooth?

How unpleasant/slow is a Bluetooth-Internet connection using Verizon's faster network? I know that everything is quite unpleasant using ATT's Edge but my USB connection using Verizon on a PC has always been excellent. When I tried it from the Mac side with a USB cable just now it seemed just fine. Should I keep trying to use Bluetooth or is it too slow to bother?

Thanks.
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT Amateur View Post
OP, I've got good news. I just successfully tethered my Verizon 8830 using the USB cable and I'm posting this using that connection.

What I did was download the VZAccess Manager for Mac which can be found on the Verizon Wireless website. They say the BlackBerry 8830 is not supported but I just installed it with no issues. It definitely seems faster than using the 8830 as a bluetooth modem.

Here's the link for the software for any of you Verizon Wireless BlackBerry users who want to tether with the USB cord in Mac OS X:
VZAccess Manager

I chose Mac 10.5.x as my operating system, PDA / Advanced Device as my device, and Motorola Q as my hardware. I know it isn't anything close to the BlackBerry but the software is the same for all devices.
Closed Thread