Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
srotman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Default Switch Device - BB Messenger Contact Problem

Please Login to Remove!

OK. I've searched the forums and can't find any help on this issue. I used to think when getting a new BB (eg. an RMA replacement, upgrade, etc.) you would have to notify all your BB contacts of your new PIN. I then learned that doing a Switch Device from within BB Desktop Manager and logging into your BIS account and changing your device PIN would take care of things for you and you could continue messaging your contacts from your new device like nothing had changed and your contacts wouldn't even know you were using a new device.

But... now I'm having a problem again. Got an RMA Pearl for my gf because her's was acting up and when I did the Switch Device wizard, everything transfered fine but her BB Messenger was being a pain! Her phone would show that messages were delivered to me even though they weren't, and my BB wasn't showing her new PIN for her contact info. And yes, she did go into her BIS and it asked if she wanted to set her new device as the new PIN for her BIS account, so that was already taken care of. In the end we had to remove and re-add each other to our contact lists. Now she's often showing as "unavailable" on BB Messenger and many/most of her other contacts cant message her and vice versa because their phones don't know her new PIN I guess and I would assume that when she messages them it doesn't go through simply because their end doesn't recognize who's sending the message. The odd thing is that even with all these problems the Switch Device wizard still managed to transfer the contact list in the first place, so you'd think this should work...

Any other users out there know what to do or have been in my position before?
Old 12-14-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Yes, I have. She will simply need to send new invites to those in her BBM contact list. I have had to do the same. I would simply delete one, and add.inte back, one after the other.

Good luck to her.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
vawireless
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell

does this problem only happen if you add Messenger contacts via their PIN instead of their email address? i've changed devices, and even wiped my device, and nothing changes on my Messenger, but I've added everyone via their email address, and vice versa.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
srotman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Yes, I have. She will simply need to send new invites to those in her BBM contact list. I have had to do the same. I would simply delete one, and add.inte back, one after the other.

Good luck to her.
Seriously?! That's the only way to do it?

It seems a little odd that a business device would be made this way. What if someone with hundreds of contacts changes devices? He has to re-invite all of them one-by-one? I think there has to be something else to it.

Maybe someone else knows something about this problem, and if not, she's going to have to re-invite each one. That'll be a pain with 30 contacts...
Old 12-14-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

eh, how many does she really talk to? do those few first, and the others over a few days, no big deal.

When I have used the SD Wiz I usually don't have a problem either, just a few didn't move over correctly. Believe me, between myself and my friends, one of us seems to change their BB almost every 3 weeks, and reinviting them manually is the only way to get the ones that don't make the move.

But if someone else has a better way... we're listening.
Closed Thread