BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
WashingtonEsquire

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T
Angry Gsm; No Edge

Please Login to Remove!

I have service through AT&T. Starting last month I had no problem receiving emails in my apartment with full bars of EDGE. About a month ago, however, I started to get EDGE only once every two hours in my apartment (when a flood of emails would come in). When I am in my apartment I get four or five bars of GSM on my phone (i.e., a great signal), but no EDGE (or even small cap edge/gprs). However, when I go to work, I get full EDGE and my email works all day. I have done battery pulls, resets, changed SIM cards--everything I can think of (and, of course, I called technical support who said I should have a great signal, which I do). This is very frustrating. In case it matters or there are others suffering the same fate, I live in Rockville/North Bethesda (about a mile outside Washington, DC's Beltway). I work in downtown DC, where I get a strong EDGE signal all day. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

You need to speak to someone at a higher level then the front line CSRs at AT&T and open a network quality ticket for your apartment. If you have a corp rep at your office they might have a phone number for you.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
kailanihawk
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
PIN: 22C2A5CE
Carrier: ATT

Wow, this is very distressful to hear. I had a user who described the exact same problem as you are having including when the trouble started. He did everything that you did and maybe slightly more He did a battery pull, tried different SIM cards and different blackberries, I security-wiped his device and re-enterprise activated. I even gave him other blackberries to carry around (tried another 8800 and an 8700C) along with his and he reported having the same problem on all of them. I emailed his blackberries about every hour sending PIN and <CONFIRM> emails and would get bouncebacks every couple of hours, not instaneously as would be normal. We even called a higher level tech support. They checked his neighborhood for problems and couldn't find any. We were told that he was the only person to call in this problem! He lives in the North Bethesda area. He finally gave up and went to a different carrier and has been fine since.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
WashingtonEsquire

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Very interesting. I have a Pearl, but I have also used my 8700c and the same thing happens-full GSM, no EDGE or edge. I really do not want to change carriers as I have never had a problem with Cingular/ATT before. Once again I am at work and have full EDGE. I will definitely let the ATT tech know that there was at least another person with this issue. I know it is not my phone because it works everywhere else...and I had the same result on another BlackBerry. Very frustrating to say the least.

Last edited by WashingtonEsquire; 12-04-2007 at 11:04 AM..
Closed Thread