BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 10:57 AM   #181
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Please Login to Remove!

Sam -- wind noise, as you can tell, is a pretty common problem. It sounds like the Voyager 510 does a decent job of dealing with the wind (meaning better than most). I'll probably have to give one a shot. Looks like Amazon has them for $47.49 shipped right now.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:56 AM   #182
maverickvergara
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

I have been testing both the voyager 510 and the jabra BT250v. I can't tell too much of a difference in sound quality, from what I can tell on most tests the v510 is slightly louder, wind noise has been about the same between the two when testing it in the car with all te windows rolled down. There still is wind noise on both, but significantly lower than previous models tested. The main difference to me more cosmetic and construction. Personally for me the v510 is not very comfortable in the long usage (wearing for a couple of hours). Of course that definitely is subjective to everyone else's fitting preference. The construction is feels much more flimsly and though after test shaking does not come off, is a little loose. As I said this is more construction and cosmetic then anything. The BT250v feels much more comfortable and natural on the ear for me and jabra claims on the 250v box that it has a noise reducing mic which seems pretty correct in testing. The gel earpiece is much more comfotable to me than the all three eartips I've tried with the v510. Although the price for the v510 was about $20 less, for me the comfort factor won out. Both were tested on a Nextel 7520 with the range being the same (clarity for about 15 feet, then ssome static). No dropped calls or dropped connections with either of them. Both have been tested for about a week each. Hope this helps.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:58 AM   #183
maverickvergara

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

I have a scala 500 due in today and I will compare all three together.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #184
Snapdragon

Model: 7250

Based on what I have read so far, I'm going to pick up the Logitech Freedom Mobile for my 7250 from Impact Wireless... they are just a couple blocks away... we'll see how it goes

Edit: I just ordered my headset and the guy is going to drop it off for me tomorrow morning. woooooo... excited

Last edited by Snapdragon; 07-07-2005 at 04:01 PM..
Old 07-08-2005, 11:00 AM   #185
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

I went to post my recording of the following four items in a side by side comparison test for noise reduction only to discover that when I made the recordings for the computer I screwed up and I had already erased the originals so I couldn't re-record them. I will redo the tests. Four items tested for comparison:
Lexus built in system
Plantronics V510
FlaminGo
Plantronics M3000

The test conditions will be in car with air on high and speed 70 mph on noisy pavement.

I will try and get it up and running this week end along with the caomparison matrix requested by others.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 07-08-2005, 11:03 AM   #186
Snapdragon

Model: 7250

I got my Logitech headset this morning, it paired very easily, I can hear pretty decently, my callers say you can tell you are on a cell phone for sure, and switching back to the BB is much louder.. might just take some playing, but it's definately acceptable, no popping or clicking.

Question about charging... the connector sure looks like a mini USB, and the adapter is rated 500 ma @ 5VDC, which is USB level for sure... can I just get another blackberry USB cable to charge it with? Or a Y cable?
Old 07-08-2005, 08:46 PM   #187
barjohn

You all have been asking for it so here are a set of comparisons between the FlaminGo, the M3000 and the V510 all performed the same day and recorded sequentially. The tests involved driving at 70 windows up, windows down and stopped. I threw in the Lexus built in system at 70 for a comparison. I also used all three in high wind. It is all posted on my web site's front page. All were recorded at the same level using the same software and mic for transfer to PC and web. No editing or cleanup was performed.
Review Page

Active PIN 203A5535

Last edited by barjohn; 07-08-2005 at 09:21 PM..
Old 07-09-2005, 03:31 PM   #188
barjohn

I have now added a top three grid to my web site home page. You can see how I compare the top three on a variety of items. I don't include battery times as these appear to be too variable and difficult to measure with any degree of accuracy. I could simulate using a PC dongle but I'm not sure it is worth the effort. I do note on my reviews both the manufacturers times and if I encounter any anomalies in my own use on battery life. I hope this helps.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 07-11-2005, 10:23 AM   #189
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Wow, the M3000 had very poor wind noise handling in your tests! Just got the Voyager 510 and it's charging on my desk right now. The comfort is definitely much better than the M3000 (no surprise, but I was willing to deal with the M3000 for short periods). If the sound quality on both ends with the 510 is even close to the M3000, it's a definite keeper.

Thanks again, barjohn! I think, anyway. I haven't spent as much as you have on headsets, but it's slowly adding up...

Last edited by takeshi; 07-12-2005 at 03:27 PM..
Old 07-11-2005, 10:59 AM   #190
barjohn

I should add that those tests were conducted in a pretty windy condition, not just a light breeze blowing as you walk. Because I am located near the dessert, we get Santa Anna winds when things heat up and they blow pretty hard. That day wasn't the worst in terms of wind but it kept the flag flying straight out most of the time.

The thing that amazed me was how bad the Lexus built in system was. No wonder callers complained to me when I was using it. I also conducted a test standing still and the Lexus was ok then but the volume level is very low compared to the headsets.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 07-12-2005, 12:16 AM   #191
paulfr2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO

Recently purchased the following headsets:

Plantronics M2500
Scala 500
Logitech Mobile Freedom

The plantronics would have been a great headset, however the sound quality on the other end of the conversation was choppy at best. The first one I thought was defective so I returned it to get a different one and it too did the same thing. Everyone that I talked to while using that headset said that my voice was choppy. It didn't matter how low or high the volume was set, my voice was choppy on the other end. This headset was also not all that comfortable to wear on either ear as I have to wear glasses.

The Scala 500 would have been an AWESOME headset, except the darned thing would not stay attached to my ear with either the flexible hook or the eyeglass attachment. Sound quality was great on both ends, but never stayed on my ear.

Finally... last weekend I purchased the Logitech Mobile Freedom from CompUSSR... only place in town that carried it. This headset is very comfortable and the sound quality is just as good if not better than the Scala 500. It stays attached to my ear on either side no matter if I am wearing my glasses or sunglasses. It synchs quickly to the BB 7520, which is a plus!!

Thought I'd share my experiences with the different headsets that I've tried in the past couple of months.
TMO Blackberry Pearl 8100
Lee's Summit - MO
Old 07-13-2005, 03:23 AM   #192
Leetneo

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Telus Mobility

I use the Scala 500 (On my nextel 7520)and its a nice headset, i do have the same prob of keepin it in my ear but i have gotten kinda used to it just hanggin out there. Sound Quality is great and the other end says its not bad either, if ur on a budget and don't mind it hanging on ur ear get one.

LeetNeo
Old 07-17-2005, 08:20 PM   #193
delmarco
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9790
Carrier: T-Mobile

So After reading the last 5 pages...I can only come to a conclusion that big bulky headsets are the least comfertable to wear, but will have the best sound. Small, comfortable headsets will not feel cumbersome but will have the worse sound.

I'm considering the Jabra BT800 or one of the motorola ones based on what I heard and what I would like...I'm also looking at the Plantronics M3000...
But as of today what is the best sounding headset for the size (smaller being desirable)?
It seems to be the Cellpoint Flamingo? is that right?
Old 07-17-2005, 08:43 PM   #194
barjohn

The Plantronics Voyager 510 is the best compromise of size and sound. The sound on the FlaminGo is not bad but the noise cancellation is not as good and the wind resistance isn't even close. If noise cancellation is key, then the M3000 is the way to go. I haven't tested the Logitec or Scala and some folks swear by them.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 07-18-2005, 04:27 PM   #195
PingGuy

Model: 8300

John,

I read the review at your site to make sure I didn't miss anything but I still have a question. I'm currently using an HS850 and I love the functionality of answering a call by turning it on when you flip it open. With the 510 is it feasible to pull it out of the holster and hit the power button one handed while putting it on to use it in a similar way?

Also is the holster included by default?

Thanks

Previous: Nextel BB7520 w/ Plantronics Discovery 640
Old 07-19-2005, 04:41 AM   #196
barjohn

The holster is an option that must be ordered separtely. You really don't need to turn it off and you can answer the phone by just hitting the answer button as you put it on, at least that is what I do since I keep it in my shirt pocket. While it pairs up quickly, the power up requires you to hold the power button for several seconds so you wouldn't want to try and operate that way. Just leaving it on and hitting the answer button is just as fast as the flip open if not faster.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 07-20-2005, 05:09 PM   #197
PingGuy

Model: 8300

Great, thanks for the info. I was just hoping to squeeze extra batterly life out of it like I do with the 850. One charge will last me several weeks since it's rarely on standby.

Previous: Nextel BB7520 w/ Plantronics Discovery 640
Old 07-23-2005, 04:40 AM   #198
ufkal

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizion

I finally figured out how to record these headsets on my computer so now I will give you the ability to listen to them. They are in .wav format for now. Later I will change to MP3 when I get some more time to play. Updated to add Bluespoon AX sound using computer and BT800 first with 7250 then with 7100t, HS850 with 7250 and 7100t. These recordings using the phone are recorded on my voice mail and then recorded from my voice mail to the computer.

How did you manage to record from your voice mail to your computer. My daughter (22 mos) left me a voice mail I want to make into a mp3 and eventually a ring tone. Any help would be great. Thanks for the great headset reviews.

Last edited by ufkal; 07-23-2005 at 04:48 AM..
Old 07-23-2005, 06:02 PM   #199
barjohn

I use sound recorder on Windows and either a microphone or a bluetooth headset via a dongle as the microphone.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 07-25-2005, 08:52 AM   #200
gary599
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon
Default Why Do I get the idea this is wrong

From the Jabra website:

Compatibility Guide Step 2 of 2

Selected phone brand Blackberry
Selected phone model 7500 Series
Selected Jabra product Jabra BT250v

Compatibility Other Information
Blackberry 7500 Series and Jabra BT250v are not compatible.

I have a Nextel BB7520 and the Jabra BT250V on my phone I see this:

Paired Devices
Jabra BT 250v

Device Properties

Device Name Jabra BT 250v
Trusted Yes
Ecryption Enabled

Hands-Free unit
Headset

My question why can't I answer a second phone call when already on the phone IE call waiting.

I know I don't have voice dialing but what should work? and what should not work, as far as being compatable.

Gary
Closed Thread