Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 11:50 PM   #1
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Desktop 4.3 Woes - and Fixes

Please Login to Remove!

It's possible this is already known and has been posted. If redundant, my apologies. I'm posting here just in case somebody else runs into this - maybe it will help.

I've been running the Singapore Telecom release of the OS on my 8300 Curve since it came out.

I've also had the BB Desktop 4.2.2 version that went along with OS, until 4.3 desktop became available. I downloaded - and installed it - on top of 4.2.2. All seemed fine..until tonight.

I'm in the midst of beta testing something totally unrelated to the BB, except for the fact that it has to do with a keyboard and mouse driver that are on the same machine as the BB Desktop. I've had some trouble with the beta software/hardware, so I thought I'd clean up my PC as much as possible to see if that helped things. Over the last few days, I uninstalled a ton of old software, ran Microsoft Update, updated iTunes, update all sorts of drivers - and then tonight updated my video driver. In the midst of all this, I was looking through Add/Remove programs, and noticed that 4.2.2 was still showing as "installed" on the PC, alongside 4.3. So...I uninstalled 4.2.2 and rebooted.

Now Desktop 4.3 loaded and could see the Blackberry. I could configure Intellisync. BUT when I went to run the sync, I got a "device specific connection error". I reinstalled 4.3 a couple of times (painfully slow!), rebooted, etc.

Finally started to think that perhaps installing 4.3 OVER 4.2.2 didn't really replace the portions of 4.2.2 that were needed to properly talk to the 4.2.2 OS in my Curve -- so when I uninstalled 4.2.2 from the PC, THAT is what broke my ability to sync.

So...I uninstalled 4.3 and rebooted (another 15 mins of my life used up).

Then I installed 4.2.2 Desktop again and rebooted yet again. Plugged the Curve into the PC, was recognized, fired up Desktop 4.2.2 - and voila! I am now once again able to sync.

Unless I'm totally mistaken, it seems that 4.3 desktop installed by itself -- as opposed to being installed on top of 4.2.2 -- will not sync properly with a Curve running a 4.2.2 OS version.

Make sense to anyone else? Any reinforcing or contradictory experiences?
Old 11-17-2007, 12:52 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I've not been able to sync with Outlook in DM 4.3. I'm not real impressed with the build of that DM. Hopefully they will release something else soon.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
biggem001
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I've not been able to sync with Outlook in DM 4.3. I'm not real impressed with the build of that DM. Hopefully they will release something else soon.
i did a straight install, w/o uninstalling sp2. and i can sync with any programs it seems.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
John - With 4.3 installed on TOP of 4.2.2, it seemed to work. I was able to sync, and had the option to sync with a variety of programs. BUT...system has become increasingly unstable. I don't know if it was the combination of 4.2.2 and 4.3, or the beta version of the bluetooth keyboard software I'm beta testing (quite likely). However - as I noted above, when I tried uninstalling 4.2.2, rebooting, then installing 4.3 by itself and rebooting - the "pure" 4.3 install could not sync. So it would seem the what earlier behavior (where it DID sync) with 4.3 was only due to the fact that parts of 4.2.2 were still installed.

What an ugly mess!

Like you, I hope for a new release sometime soon - one that works well. Also: I remember Intellisync when it was a brand new product from a teeny tiny company - and it was painful and buggy back then as well. I've never been too impressed with it, and continually wonder why syncing software has to be so flakey.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
Cyclops

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

I'm having a similar issue with DM 4.3 as well, I noticed that if I don't sync my calendar (Outlook 2007) the address book, memo pad and task, sync without a problem.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:49 PM   #6
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
I'm having a similar issue with DM 4.3 as well, I noticed that if I don't sync my calendar (Outlook 2007) the address book, memo pad and task, sync without a problem.
Well...I found that 4.2 by itself was "working" again... but as before, I noticed that multiple instances of BB device manager were winding up in task manager. Earlier, when I installed 4.3 on top of 4.2, this stopped happening. So I finally gave in and reinstalled 4.3 on top of 4.2. With this config, everything syncs, no multiple copies of BB device manager.

It seems that my best config is the hybrid with 4.3 on top of 4.2. I'll keep this for now.

Also seriously following up the leads Rivviepop suggested re use of SyncML, a SyncML server. This would let you (us) do OTA sync of tasks, calendar and address book, and let BIS handle the email delivery.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:10 AM   #7
BFEINZIMER

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Anyone else notice if you set your BB to sync with Yahoo, when it askes for your Yahoo user/pass that entire interface is in some weird language...
Closed Thread