Old 10-28-2007, 12:56 PM   #1
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default UMA rocks

Please Login to Remove!

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 10:40 PM..
Old 10-28-2007, 01:45 PM   #2
cblackberrynyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: at&t your world. Delivered.

Yet another reason why I continue to call for a few well placed RIM corp stores. UMA and WiFi Blackberry's are the cutting edge.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
seanwilliams

PIN: N/A

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I'm a newbie, what exactly does UMA mean?
Old 10-28-2007, 03:51 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

UMA=Unlicensed Mobile Access. When it says UMA you can do everything over the wifi (including phone calls/sms.)

I was at a hotel last night where there was almost no cell coverage in my room. 1 bar at best and most of the time it was "searching for network." I plugged in my travel router to the hotel's wired internet in the room and had my own wifi signal in my room and UMA worked excellent!

http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...hlight=wtr54gs

Last edited by John Clark; 10-28-2007 at 04:37 PM..
Old 10-28-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
USNAVY
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.9080/1716; en; U; ssr))

UMA rocks? I wouldn't know, I've never gotten it to work. Even on the rare occasion when my phone is in a UMA status, if I make a call I get the dreaded 3 escalating tones. This is all at home on my dsl modem/router, I've never tried to connect anywhere else.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

You likely have something not setup correctly on your router. It works well at most places I've connected with open wifi systems. Occasionally, I run into trouble with free wifi's that need authentication in a browser window but most of the time it works great.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:45 PM   #7
onyx00
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
You likely have something not setup correctly on your router. It works well at most places I've connected with open wifi systems. Occasionally, I run into trouble with free wifi's that need authentication in a browser window but most of the time it works great.
UMA sucked for me to, and I tried all types of configurations. I'm pretty confident in my technical abilities and can say quite surely that I think UMA just doesn't work well for everyone.

My solution? I just signed up on ATT this weekend, and am waiting for the SIM card. When I travel out of the country, if I don't want ot pay the roaming fees I can easily use Skype, and honestly it is a heck of a lot easier to get working than UMA seems to be...
Old 10-28-2007, 10:12 PM   #8
flash24

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

Yes, indeed!

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 10-28-2007, 10:26 PM   #9
Helmdawg

Model: 9700
PIN: ned down...

I agree. UMA has been great for me as well. I think those who are having issues may be due to a set-up problem or the internet provider.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:39 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx00 View Post
UMA sucked for me to, and I tried all types of configurations. I'm pretty confident in my technical abilities and can say quite surely that I think UMA just doesn't work well for everyone.

My solution? I just signed up on ATT this weekend, and am waiting for the SIM card. When I travel out of the country, if I don't want ot pay the roaming fees I can easily use Skype, and honestly it is a heck of a lot easier to get working than UMA seems to be...
Too bad. It's a great feature and works well. It does take the correct setup, though. Good luck with Skype. You are at the mercy of your router and ISP (as stated above.)
Old 10-29-2007, 03:09 AM   #11
spblat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: T-Mo

I fought and fought with UMA, but I'm glad I did. I think I've got it working pretty reliably, and it pleases me greatly to have closed my vonage account. Now I have one work number, and if I'm home or at a reliable hotspot I can be on the phone all day at no extra charge. And when I'm on a call, all my data services still work...can't do that without UMA.

John's travel router is an awesome idea. May have to try that out, I'm in hotels rather a lot.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:05 AM   #12
pinhead
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 30EC5097

I LOVE the UMA/HS@Home that T-Mobile provides. It really works quite well and it certainly makes it hard to go over the allotted minutes for whatever plan and knowing that I can have service pretty much anywhere that has wifi, which is pretty much everywhere in the city, is a huge plus.

I have been with Verizon and AT&T in recent years and both have given me some spotty service in areas of Chicago and Atlanta. T-Mobile is MUCH better in Chicago than I experienced with either and is certainly as good, if not better, in Atlanta. However, there are always a few spots that nobody seems to cover...but T-Mobile gives us a way to get around that. I love it.

Using my E61i I was introduced to VOIP, and found that there was little impact on battery life and the phone sounded wonderful using it, plus it was/is free. But calls do not, of course, transfer seamlessly over to the mobile network the way they do with UMA and it requires a different phone number for VOIP than of the mobile line. But, overall it is still a little more advanced (overall) than the Curve's setup...just without the UMA. The Curve's setup is so much simpler that it is hard to fault. I love it when things just work right out of the box and this phone does it.

The Curve certainly makes for a better mobile phone. The E61i now seems like a better office phone/mobile phone hybrid though.

The OP is right...UMA ROCKS!
Old 10-29-2007, 06:58 AM   #13
bdraco
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I couldn't agree more. However you might want to get a better ap then tmobile provides as its not so great unless you have < 1000sqft.

I managed to get it working perfectly everywhere @home using:

Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 Wireless-G MIMO Performance Router and Access Point
with DD-WRT (dd-wrt.com) [This one has the best out of box performance according to dd-wrt's wiki) -- Make sure you turn WMM on after flashing with dd-wrt. (got mine from amazon.com good luck finding them though as they seem to be sold out everywhere but amazon)
and
D-Link 2.4GHz Omni-Directional 7dBi Indoor Antenna ( ANT24-0700 )
(This was the best one after testing about 7-8 of them) (got mine from tigerdirect.com, but it looks like newegg.com & amazon.com have a better deal now)

Net result is -57db one floor away. Quite a change from the linksys which was -86db in the same spot. YMMV
Old 10-29-2007, 07:00 AM   #14
bdraco
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead View Post
The Curve certainly makes for a better mobile phone. The E61i now seems like a better office phone/mobile phone hybrid though.

The OP is right...UMA ROCKS!
I miss the e61i. I just wish nokia could get it together, but in a better processor and deliver a symbian 9.5 platform w/UMA on it. I ended back up on a blackberry because blackberry connect + e61i worked great, but opening an email took way too long. I can read twice as many messages on the 8320 before I can even open one on the e61i.

Last edited by bdraco; 10-29-2007 at 07:02 AM..
Old 10-29-2007, 04:48 PM   #15
USNAVY
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have no doubt that my router is probably the cause of my wifi/uma issues. Does TMO still have the 50 dollar mail in rebate on the router? I may just try that and see if it fixes my problems, I mostly have issues keeping connected and once I drop the connection it takes a long time to come back. I think my router has horrible range too...
Old 10-29-2007, 04:50 PM   #16
USNAVY
Thumbs Must Hurt

Do I have to have the hotspot@home to access wifi hotspots like that? I have a starbucks in the shopping center next to my place, I went over there and my phone never connected? I even scanned for networks and didn't see anything in relation to Starbucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
As I was driving back to work from lunch I stopped at a red light and there was a Starbuck's about 75 feet away. I decided to take a look at my 8320 and sure enough it said T-Mobile - HotSpot with uppercase UMA. I even received an email while sitting there. As I drove away it flipped back to EDGE with no issues.

Dave
Old 10-29-2007, 05:14 PM   #17
sgtcasey

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 10:40 PM..
Old 10-29-2007, 11:02 PM   #18
Helmdawg

PIN: ned down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNAVY View Post
I have no doubt that my router is probably the cause of my wifi/uma issues. Does TMO still have the 50 dollar mail in rebate on the router? I may just try that and see if it fixes my problems, I mostly have issues keeping connected and once I drop the connection it takes a long time to come back. I think my router has horrible range too...
The rebate is for the purchase of the router between 6/27/07 and 9/30/07 which needs to be post marked by 10/31. That's not saying you cannot call CR and complain that you are having issues. I would highly recommed getting the T-mobile router. I am confident it will resolve some if not all of your issues. That is of course, its set-up properly and your ISP is working like it should. Good luck!!
Old 10-30-2007, 09:05 AM   #19
harveyjc_2001
Thumbs Must Hurt

I got UMA "in the wild" for the first time the other day. I was outside a Borders, and the phone just connected to a HotSpot without having to do anything. Handoff was seamless back to EDGE.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:26 PM   #20
flash24

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

UMA is the second best invention ever (TV was the first one of course)

Proud to Serve USAF
Closed Thread