Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
SchmutzBerry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Evil Mr. Rogers
Default data, passwords etc between Mac and Blackberry 8800

Please Login to Remove!

I recently got a Mac. And now got a new bb with a storage card. it's all good, except where do i find a program that will help me sync notes between, and ones that can be password protected.
yojimbo notes sync is being promised.
any other options out there?
thanks.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:31 AM   #2
jax
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Vodafone

Yes, this is something I want to do as well. For notes I currently use ideaMatrix from REXWireless that's an app that works on the BlackBerry and syncs with a server that can be accessed through the web using my Mac. I only use this for notes though - I'm not sure about the security angle so I don't store passwords in ideaMatrix.

I haven't found anything that does what I want with passwords, which is to integrate my Keychain passwords (on my Mac) with an application on my BlackBerry. I did read that 1Passwd is developing a BlackBerry reader and this would be ideal.

Just in case you're not aware, here are some other tools I've come accross:
- Splash ID works on both a Mac and BlackBerry (and syncs).
- PocketMac SecureNotes runs on a Mac and syncs with the notepad on your BlackBerry.

Yojimbo notes will apparently be synced using The Missing Sync (although I don't think it works in the current beta).
Old 03-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
SchmutzBerry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Evil Mr. Rogers

I think we're thinking alike because I just found out about the rexwireless programs and they are amazing! One of the best designed suites I've ever seen, for both programs.
I thought about using that as a crypt, and they do have password protection, but it's online? any thoughts on that?
if 1passwd, which i have, had a bb app that would be incredible.
i didn't think splash id would sync with mac though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax
Yes, this is something I want to do as well. For notes I currently use ideaMatrix from REXWireless that's an app that works on the BlackBerry and syncs with a server that can be accessed through the web using my Mac. I only use this for notes though - I'm not sure about the security angle so I don't store passwords in ideaMatrix.

I haven't found anything that does what I want with passwords, which is to integrate my Keychain passwords (on my Mac) with an application on my BlackBerry. I did read that 1Passwd is developing a BlackBerry reader and this would be ideal.

Just in case you're not aware, here are some other tools I've come accross:
- Splash ID works on both a Mac and BlackBerry (and syncs).
- PocketMac SecureNotes runs on a Mac and syncs with the notepad on your BlackBerry.

Yojimbo notes will apparently be synced using The Missing Sync (although I don't think it works in the current beta).
Old 03-15-2007, 02:59 PM   #4
jax
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Vodafone

Yes, with rexwireless apps I'm not sure about the security so I don't put anything confidential in them (like passwords!).

I assumed that because Splash ID had an app for Mac and BB that they synched, but you're probably right (they don't). Splash ID wouldn't work for me as I want to use the passwords in Safari.

Here's the thread about 1Passwd potentially support BBs:

Agile Web Solutions :: View topic - Password Reader for Blackberry

Suggest you add a vote as well!
Old 04-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
Johnathan III

Model: 8703
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Exclamation Password Protection Programs for Mac and Blackberry

I have been using Splash ID for a while and find it to be a wonderful program to store account numbers passwords and sensitive info. However I am quite dismayed that there is NO program that sync's this type of info between a Blackberry and a Mac. After buying my first mac in 20 years I'm looking for every reason I can NOT to go back to windows..... If anyone knows of a program that sync's Blackberry to Mac please let me know.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
rdj

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

It would be nice to have some form of integration between Keychain and a Blackberry secure storage manager.

For those of us using IdeaMatrix, thought I'd pass along that I recently asked REXwireless support about the data security aspects and did not get a definitive response. For example, I do not know whether the "checked-in" database is stored encrypted on their servers, what measures they take to protect data in transit during syncs and 'net backups, etc.

It troubled me slightly that their "desktop" (web-based) app does not use SSL (https). One useful thing I did discover, however, is that you can manually add the "s" to "https" and continue interacting with their server using SSL.

I asked why they didn't make that the default mechanism, and their (support's) reply was that they didn't want to slow down the app's responsiveness with the inclusion of encryption and decryption.

Keep in mind that I am relating an "off-the-cuff" response from their support staff which does not necessarily reflect an official corporate stance on these issues.

I should also point out that, notwithstanding my concerns, their ToDoMatrix and IdeaMatrix products are superb, and having any form of web-based access to my data is what sold me on purchasing regi$trations.
One thing to keep in mind about this stuff is that the Blackberry, like the Palm, is engineered to consume as little power as possible. REXwireless seems to have honored that design precept in their products. There are trade-offs: you cannot "have it all", though it remains somewhat astonishing how much we do have.

It probably wouldn't hurt to apply some pressure to REXwireless to respond more fully to data security concerns as they seem rather responsive to their user base.

-^-rdj-^-
Closed Thread