Old 08-11-2007, 08:20 PM   #161
JDWallace
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
BS nextel already has abandonded their customers, When you cant complete a simple phone call or ten then there is a problem. Jan 1 through jan 19th of this year I dropped 97 calls all logged. This is the same area I have lived for ten years with Nextel and it worked fine. From September 1, 2006 through jan 19th 2007 I dropped over 1567 calls thats way to much what did I get for my troubles not a thing. They wouldnt even waive the 400 ETF when I left even with the documentation.
I have had the same problem. I have had Nextel since Nextel began. Now that everyone I know is leaving them, I only used my PTT for my wife. Now she left and went Sprint, who I have hated over the years. Where has that left me.....it left me ordering a new BB8830 from Sprint, should be here on monday.....wtf?..... OH THE IRONY

www.breachbangclear.com
Old 08-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #162
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDWallace View Post
I have had the same problem. I have had Nextel since Nextel began. Now that everyone I know is leaving them, I only used my PTT for my wife. Now she left and went Sprint, who I have hated over the years. Where has that left me.....it left me ordering a new BB8830 from Sprint, should be here on monday.....wtf?..... OH THE IRONY
You'll be happy. The 8830 works great on Sprint. Had mine about a month, no problems.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:35 PM   #163
kidd

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel
Default Nextel and BlackBerry

OK, Found out from a friend that is close with knowledge of BB. Last he heard was Nextel won't be pursuing anymore BB until a deal goes through. The deal is Spring may be taking over Nextel fully or AT&T is looking at buying out Nextel from Sprint.

The deal that Nextel has with Sprint is only a contract and not that of a partnership, so that gives Nextel some leverage if they are going for the big bucks. Which I beleive they are.

If AT&T gets them, then RIM will consider to intergrade Nextel features into some newer phones.

Last heard is any type of annoucements will be made in mid to late 4th quarter this year. Possible new phones we are looking at 3rd quarter of 08.

PLEASE!!!!! if anyone has any other updates to this or can defunk this for me, please let me know. Having the 7100i and coming from a 8700 model SUCKS!!!!

I am one that hate the SURE typing feature and still a fan of a full keyboard model.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:31 AM   #164
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

I respectfully disagree. There is no partnership. SPRINT BOUGHT NEXTEL. There is no independent Nextel. Nextel has no "leverage" as there is no Nextel anymore.

Read this - SPRINT NEXTEL COMPLETES MERGER
Old 08-20-2007, 06:00 AM   #165
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd View Post
OK, Found out from a friend that is close with knowledge of BB. Last he heard was Nextel won't be pursuing anymore BB until a deal goes through. The deal is Spring may be taking over Nextel fully or AT&T is looking at buying out Nextel from Sprint.

The deal that Nextel has with Sprint is only a contract and not that of a partnership, so that gives Nextel some leverage if they are going for the big bucks. Which I beleive they are.

If AT&T gets them, then RIM will consider to intergrade Nextel features into some newer phones.

Last heard is any type of annoucements will be made in mid to late 4th quarter this year. Possible new phones we are looking at 3rd quarter of 08.

PLEASE!!!!! if anyone has any other updates to this or can defunk this for me, please let me know. Having the 7100i and coming from a 8700 model SUCKS!!!!

I am one that hate the SURE typing feature and still a fan of a full keyboard model.
so far out in left field you are in the cheap seats with this one. deals done nextels dead
Old 08-20-2007, 06:06 AM   #166
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
so far out in left field you are in the cheap seats with this one. deals done nextels dead
Cheap seats? He's not even in the stadium.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:05 AM   #167
JDWallace

Model: 9530

Quote:
deals done nextels dead
Oh how I hate to agree with this, considering the love I had for Nextel, but I agree. Dawg, you couldn't have put it any better.

www.breachbangclear.com
Old 08-21-2007, 01:12 PM   #168
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDWallace View Post
Oh how I hate to agree with this, considering the love I had for Nextel, but I agree. Dawg, you couldn't have put it any better.
tell me about it I wish it wasnt sprint killed nextel
Old 10-09-2007, 09:20 AM   #169
KeyzBerry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
tell me about it I wish it wasnt sprint killed nextel
i think they did, us nextel users, dont give up just yet, wait till winter/spring, i heard some good news
Old 10-09-2007, 10:20 AM   #170
smoothballer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyzBerry View Post
i think they did, us nextel users, dont give up just yet, wait till winter/spring, i heard some good news
Care to elaborate on the good news?
Old 10-09-2007, 11:05 AM   #171
tstrike

Model: 8830
Angry Yes what about the good news?

I am really close to ditching Sprint Nextel and I have been a customer since the beginning as well...

Sprint has done everything to piss us off in more ways than I can count. Wouldnt it be funny if the entire PTT community just suddenly abandoned Sprint/Nextel? Maybe they would get the clue?

I am so embarassed carrying my 7100i around while folks are silently giggling and showing off their 8xxx series......

wtf is going on I wonder??
Old 10-09-2007, 01:37 PM   #172
PowerCell

Model: 8100
PIN: che Cabron
Carrier: T-

It's pretty simple really. The FCC's forcing Nextel off the 900 bands and into the 1800's... right next to Sprint. In this shift, Sprint is going to have to replace the entire network, and trust me, it won't be iDEN. This all has to take place by 2010. Thirteen billion of your tax dollars say so...

RIM isn't interested in buiding new subscriber units for a dying network... they have better things to do with their resources. So iDEN is the new red headed step child of the interconnect world. Sorry guys, it was sweet while it lasted...

And for those of you who can remember the early beta years of CDMA, Sprint got into a big law suite with Motorola regarding a network buildout contract. Motorola, being one to always hold a grudge, has never forgiven Sprint for going with Qualcomm. That's why when Sprint bought Nextel on December 18th, 2004, Motorola walked away from the maintenance contract that they had with Nextel. I guess they didn't want to sully themselves with the unclean. This explains why the iDEN network has been slowly going to crap ever since the "merger". Motorola claimed Qualcomm was infringing on patents, and from what we've been seeing with Qualcomm this last summer, Motorola may have been right all along...

The iDEN network is a pretty complex bird and requires Motorola's involvement to keep it running properly. If you don't believe that, just look at what happend to Nextel's venture into Mexico when the Mexican government decided to federalize the network... it sat dormant for 6 years until Mextel was formed and Motorola was brought back into the picture. Now it's working better than the domestic network...

Sprint's just a bunch of whacky wannabees that haven't a clue as to what it takes to run a class A wireless network. The best thing that could ever happen for iDEN now, is for the two companies to split up and for Nextel to start focusing on their core market again - industrial communications. But trust me, Direct Connect will never rise again as a billable service. Those days were lost when the PTT customer base began to vacate the network.

I can't envision subscribers paying extra for DC after being burned by Sprint. The DC network was only valuable when it had a large construction and industrial user base. This ain't Field of Dreams... if they build a new DC network in the 1800's, people may come, but they will never pay a premium for the service again. And if they won't pay extra, I don't see the marketable value in the cost of buildout. So PTT may very well be dead...

~ Ken

Last edited by PowerCell; 10-10-2007 at 10:47 AM..
Old 10-11-2007, 03:40 PM   #173
bbtrlb

PIN: 319B6B3E
Default Please do elaborate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike View Post
I am really close to ditching Sprint Nextel and I have been a customer since the beginning as well...

Sprint has done everything to piss us off in more ways than I can count. Wouldnt it be funny if the entire PTT community just suddenly abandoned Sprint/Nextel? Maybe they would get the clue?

I am so embarassed carrying my 7100i around while folks are silently giggling and showing off their 8xxx series......

wtf is going on I wonder??
Yes. Please do elaborate. I have about had it with my 7100i. And my berry is paid for through work so I do not have liberty to switch. I am hostage to Nextel for the time being, though I have flirted with buying my own personal BB a few times because I am sick of being so dated with my two year old technology.

How long until Sprint at least merges so we can use Sprint bbs on our Nextel-based corporate account? At least that would be a slight improvement and we would get a fast network. What is the point of a merger if you are not going to merge? WTF?
Old 10-11-2007, 07:10 PM   #174
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many

Sprint Nextel never planned to "merge" the networks. At some point there will be a device to replace what you have now.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:43 PM   #175
bbtrlb

PIN: 319B6B3E

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm View Post
Sprint Nextel never planned to "merge" the networks. At some point there will be a device to replace what you have now.
I am not talking about merging networks. I am talking about merging billings, accounts, customer support, etc., so that one company who has all their staff on a company plan can let their staff choose, for example, Sprint blackberries for use on that account, or nextel devices, such as the case may be. FWIW, we do not use PTT so that is not an issue.

"At some point there will be a device to replace what you have now."

At some point, I will also be dead. I really am not encouraged to know that "ate some point" I can move forward, when "some point" is 18 months to two years and counting after superior RIM products showed up on other networks.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:49 PM   #176
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many

Sorry. Didn't understand your original Q. Sprint is in the process of merging billing systems. My bill used to bill in the SPrint P2K system but is now in the "Unified Billing System" which is the Nexel system.
You can move your service to CDMA devices any time if you don't use the Direct Connect.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:24 AM   #177
PowerCell

Model: 8100
PIN: che Cabron
Carrier: T-

Quote:
Actually "merge" would not be the appropriate word. Sprint's original plan included replacing the iDEN network with the next generation WCDMA/HSDPA network from Qualcomm. Backwards compatable, the two networks would share subscribers.

In light of Sprints current financial situation, I would expect the company to be aquired by a third carrier (BT, SK Telecom?) who would sell off or retire the iDEN side. The licenses are very valuable, but need to be loaded quickly, and I find it hard to see the value in trying to revive the Nextel brand or buildout a PTT network. 1800 calls out for an LTE (4GSM) network...
Old 10-17-2007, 08:33 PM   #178
tstrike

Model: 8830
Red face

Quote:
Sorry. Didn't understand your original Q. Sprint is in the process of merging billing systems. My bill used to bill in the SPrint P2K system but is now in the "Unified Billing System" which is the Nexel system.
You can move your service to CDMA devices any time if you don't use the Direct Connect.
Well I did!

I went and got a 8830.... Nice to live in the real world of blackberry instead of the ancient times...

Old 10-19-2007, 08:06 AM   #179
mikemac64

Model: Tour
PIN: PM for this.

I was loyal Nextel user until May 07. After the merger Nextel service went down hill....fast...then faster....

I called, obtained new handsets, did everything I was asked to do. Finally I could not take it any longer so I switched to Verizon. Nextel was so bad I actually beat them on the early termination fee. They gave up and waived it.

I was going to get a BB, but my work network woud not support it so I went another route. Maybe someday.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:15 PM   #180
PCgirl

Model: iP 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemac64 View Post
I was loyal Nextel user until May 07. After the merger Nextel service went down hill....fast...then faster....

I called, obtained new handsets, did everything I was asked to do. Finally I could not take it any longer so I switched to Verizon. Nextel was so bad I actually beat them on the early termination fee. They gave up and waived it.

I was going to get a BB, but my work network woud not support it so I went another route. Maybe someday.
Wow! I'm surprised this thread is still alive! Are they still trying to tell people that Next-hell is coming out with a new BlackBerry???

This is where I first posted when I joined BBF in January of this year back when I too was suffering the nightmare known to us as Next-hell/Splint and its heinous service and customer service. Nextel reps actually confirmed (lied) that a new Nextel BB device was coming in mid-February 07. Remembering those days makes me appreciate T-Mobile so much more.

I remember when Nextel was THE device to have -- great reception and DC was totally convenient for working at the studios or on location. (Let's face it, 2-way radios are fun to use -- remember playing with walkie-talkies as a kid?) Loved that it worked nationwide as well. And then the merger happened, and like mikemac64 said, it went downhill from there.