BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
away
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Questions about message inbox. (email, SMS, gmail)

Please Login to Remove!

First off, hello all. I've been lurking around here for a week or so, comtemplating purchasing my first BB and I finally picked up a Curve from AT&T yesterday. Loving it thus far and I'm sure even more as I learn the in's and outs.

Now, my question... On my home screen I have a folder for "messages" (presumably text and mms), a second folder for "xxxxx@gmail.com" (my email), and then thirdly my gmail mobile app I downloaded. Seems a little redundant to me. Not only do my emails show up in both the "messages" folder AND my "email" folder, but then I end up loading the gmail mobile app to respond and manage my mail. (I know I CAN replay via the other regular "email folder" but I really love the gmail mobile.)

Ideally I would want ONLY my text and MMS messages to come to the "messages" folder and in addition some notification from the gmail mobile app when I have a new email. I really see no reason for the other "xxxxx@gmail.com" folder. It's just an extra place I have to click and delete the mail from after I deal with it in gmail mobile.

Sorry if that's a bit confusing, but does someone understand what I mean?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew
Old 10-08-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
swizz152

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Hide all of the email folders except for the "messages" one.

Delete the GMAIL app, and now all of your mms/sms/email (including gmail) will go to your "messages" folder.

Downsize.

7105t -> 8700c -> 8100t -> 8320t
Old 10-08-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
away

Well I suppose I could simply hide the [email address] message folder since it's effectively useless to me since I'm using the gmail mobile. That would eliminate that eyesore. However I'm trying NOT to have both my email and text messages come into the same "messages folder". What I'm trying to accomplish is separating them. Simply hiding the email folder doesn't eliminate my problem of them both still going into the general "message" folder.

Anyone?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:25 AM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

You can separate sms from email by going to Messages >>Options >>General Settings. Scroll to the bottom. You'll see the settings there.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
away

A little update. I was able to get them in separate inboxes when using the zen theme. I typically use, and generally prefer, the AT&T theme though and while using that theme it doesn't seem possible to separate them.

John, I took your advice and separated them using the method you told me, however after I did that, ONLY my email messages showed up in the "messages" folder and I couldn't locate my SMS messages at all. (is there somewhere else they go when separated?) The only way I was able to find a SMS message I received was to combine the messages again and then there it was back in my "messages" folder along with my emails. Again, this is using the AT&T theme.

It seems like such a simple thing. SMS shows up "here" and emails show up "there". Two distinctly different types of messages that definitely shouldn't be lumped together as simply "messages".

Still looking for a better solution...
Old 10-10-2007, 04:04 AM   #6
Aquabob

Away:

Once you've chosen to separate them, look around (I think it's in the Applications folder) for an SMS/MMS folder icon. I believe it gets created when you choose the option to separate them from the other emails.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:07 PM   #7
away

AHA! Thank you sir, that worked great. Now I have a specific folder for my SMS + MMS messages and another folder for my emails. Almost perfect.

So then I chose to hide my email folder. (since I use gmail mobile to check them) The only thing is when I get an email now the notification still comes up at the top of the screen with the number of emails, I check them in gmail, but that notification will stay up top until I go back into the now hidden email folder and delete it there. Does the phone not realize I've checked and deleted the email in gmail? Seems like I still have to use that email folder to delete the message.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
kdog1176
Thumbs Must Hurt

Your gmail emails are being pushed to the BB, which is why the indicator lights up. If you are going to be checking your gmail through the mobile app only, I suggest removing the [email address] account through your BIS website.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #9
away

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; Google Wireless Transcoder;))

That would be fine, except how would I get any indictation that I had a new email? Gmail mobile doesn't have a notifier like on my desktop does it? Otherwise I'd just have to randomly check for emails which isn't very efficient.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:32 PM   #10
kdog1176
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by away View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; Google Wireless Transcoder;))

That would be fine, except how would I get any indictation that I had a new email? Gmail mobile doesn't have a notifier like on my desktop does it? Otherwise I'd just have to randomly check for emails which isn't very efficient.
No, the gmail mobile app does not have a notifier. This application is separate from the BB native email client which only provides BB notfications for email accounts setup through BIS/BES.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:37 PM   #11
away

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Well it looks like that's the end of the line then for me. I'm destined to have duplicate email folders for now until google comes out with a notifier download for mobiles. Thank you all so much for your help.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:33 PM   #12
Aquabob

Does anyone make an application that would color code the emails depending on which account they came from? I like the idea of having one folder to check, but hate not knowing which account they're from (without opening them, etc.) PIN messages show up in red; how can I get the other messages to be different colors?
Old 10-29-2007, 09:08 PM   #13
Mattical69

Model: 8110
PIN: Sharpie Blue Fine Point

Update: If you download and install the current binary OS for your BB (such as the new AT&T OS 4.2.196 (bundle 154) then you'll get the separation of MMS/SMS messages from your main messages Inbox. There isn't a way to separate your Internet Message accounts - they still default to the main Messages "bucket" folder. A hassle for us all in the BES world who have customers asking for this feature to split them up on a daily basis. However, if you are a Gmail users just download the Google Mobile apps... it does work better, and the new Yahoo! mailer app promises to be better.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:20 PM   #14
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Try this app:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...-messages.html
Closed Thread