Old 10-02-2007, 08:58 PM   #1
trunkzilla
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Question about Blackberry e-mail address

Please Login to Remove!

If I created a Blackberry e-mail address, is it possible to delete that one and create a different one for my blackberry? I am on AT&T.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:05 PM   #2
tomdkat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Yes log into your BIS and you can delete that account
Old 10-02-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
trunkzilla

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Ok, just so I am clear, I go into personal e-mail setup and log in. Once I see the e-mail accounts, I delete the blackberry one I created. I can then create a new one?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

yes
Old 10-02-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
tomdkat

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

correct
Old 10-03-2007, 03:08 AM   #6
wirelessforever
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: XXXX
PIN: XXXX
Carrier: XXXX

I really don't see the benefit to a BlackBerry email address.

First of all, it's hard to tell someone the address and have them remember it.

[email address]?

1/2 the people are gonna forget the tmo part. The other 1/2 are going to mix it up and forget what comes first ... tmo or blackberry?

I'm using one Gmail account now and giving that to everyone. It's simple ... [email address]. Everyone can remember it and I can access my email everywhere ... on my BlackBerry, on my computer at home, on my computer at work ... everywhere.

Sorry but I just don't see any advantages to a BlackBerry email address.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:48 AM   #7
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessforever View Post
I really don't see the benefit to a BlackBerry email address.
You are not alone.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunkzilla View Post
Ok, just so I am clear, I go into personal e-mail setup and log in. Once I see the e-mail accounts, I delete the blackberry one I created. I can then create a new one?
You should delete the blackberry.net email address and then NOT create a new one.
Just use a free GMail or Yahoo email account instead.

You can't control spam on the blackberry.net email address like you can with other free email services.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:01 PM   #9
anthonymoody

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile

My $.02: the blackberry.net email is more reliable and fast - over the long haul with thousands of emails - than either yahoo or gmail. Don't get me wrong - yahoo and gmail push to the BB has gotten much better, faster, and more reliable over time.

If you don't like the blackberry.net address itself, then use the account to speed delivery - simply forward your gmail (or whatever) to the blackberry.net address, and your mail will almost invariably arrive faster than if you send it to a gmail account configured on your device.

At the very least, if you *don't* use a gmail or yahoo account, and use a POP account instead (say from your ISP), you can forward it to the blackberry.net account to get it in real time, rather than POP into it periodically.

TM
Old 10-03-2007, 05:34 PM   #10
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
My $.02: the blackberry.net email is more reliable and fast - over the long haul with thousands of emails - than either yahoo or gmail. Don't get me wrong - yahoo and gmail push to the BB has gotten much better, faster, and more reliable over time.

If you don't like the blackberry.net address itself, then use the account to speed delivery - simply forward your gmail (or whatever) to the blackberry.net address, and your mail will almost invariably arrive faster than if you send it to a gmail account configured on your device.

At the very least, if you *don't* use a gmail or yahoo account, and use a POP account instead (say from your ISP), you can forward it to the blackberry.net account to get it in real time, rather than POP into it periodically.

TM
I realize you're just stating your opinions here... but in all honestly, your entire post is way off the mark. Your statements and setup may have been appropriate several months ago, but they don't hold any weight anymore.
It's no longer true that forwarding GMail or Yahoo to a blackberry.net account will result in faster message delivery.

GMail and Yahoo are now very tightly integrated with BIS, both offering instant push message delivery and two-way wireless message reconciliation.
Yahoo even reconciles read/unread marks as well as deletions.

Forwarding a Yahoo or GMail address to a blackberry.net address will actually cause a loss in functionality because you are now giving up the wireless message reconciliation and will need to separately manage your messages in both locations (device and web client).
You also open yourself up to a flood of spam, simply by having an active blackberry.net address.
Lastly, you can no longer reply to messages with the proper email address for your account if you rely on message forwarding.
Replies will then come from your blackberry.net address, which is not often desired, and puts your blackberry.net out in the open for spammers to harvest.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:57 AM   #11
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
I realize you're just stating your opinions here... but in all honestly, your entire post is way off the mark. Your statements and setup may have been appropriate several months ago, but they don't hold any weight anymore.
It's no longer true that forwarding GMail or Yahoo to a blackberry.net account will result in faster message delivery.

GMail and Yahoo are now very tightly integrated with BIS, both offering instant push message delivery and two-way wireless message reconciliation.
Yahoo even reconciles read/unread marks as well as deletions.

Forwarding a Yahoo or GMail address to a blackberry.net address will actually cause a loss in functionality because you are now giving up the wireless message reconciliation and will need to separately manage your messages in both locations (device and web client).
You also open yourself up to a flood of spam, simply by having an active blackberry.net address.
Lastly, you can no longer reply to messages with the proper email address for your account if you rely on message forwarding.
Replies will then come from your blackberry.net address, which is not often desired, and puts your blackberry.net out in the open for spammers to harvest.

It is you who are wide of the mark my friend, on several points. First, if you don't believe me about the speed, try it. The bb.net account *always* gets there first, sometimes by a few seconds, sometimes by several minutes.

Second, the read/unread and delete reconciliation is not a big deal to me. I use my laptop to manage and archive all my messages - my bb is simply a mobile client for me.

Thirdly, I've not had any problems whatsoever with spam, so either your experience is out of date, and/or they've instituted server-side filtering that we don't know about, or i'm lucky, but my experience is 100% true, right now. Today.

Fourth, as far as managing replies, there again you're wrong, and in fact very much so. Perhaps the situation you described was once the case. But today, you can set up the bb.net account to show a different "reply to" address - both as the default, as well as on the fly. I know because I do this all the time. My ISP account is the default reply-to, and I sometimes choose another of my accounts when it makes sense.

TM
Old 10-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #12
wirelessforever
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
It is you who are wide of the mark my friend, on several points. First, if you don't believe me about the speed, try it. The bb.net account *always* gets there first, sometimes by a few seconds, sometimes by several minutes.
This is simply silly.

I have my Gmail account linked to my Blackberry. I also have times in my day where I am sitting at my desk processing email live and can see the timing of email going to my BlackBerry and I've never noticed any appreciable delay between Gmail and my Curve.

If you enjoy your solution that's fine but there is no need to challenge the other poster's points which are very valid.

And you indeed have missed a very significant point. Please ask yourself which email address is easier to communicate and remember ...

johnsmith@gmail.com ... (that's john smith at gmail dot com)

or

johnsmith@tmo.blackberry.net ... (that's john smith at tmo dot blackberry dot net - please remember to put the tmo first and then the blackberry and don't forget that it's dot net not dot com, did you get that or do I need to tell you again so you remember or should I write it down for you?)

The BlackBerry email address is simply not an easy or practical solution for most people.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:09 AM   #13
doppeljr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMobile

Yahoo and GMail both provide notification service to RIM for new messages, thus speeding up the delivery of new messages to those mailboxes.

Forwarding to the TMO address is no longer necessary, but the address is useful , if you need it.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:16 AM   #14
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessforever View Post
This is simply silly.

I have my Gmail account linked to my Blackberry. I also have times in my day where I am sitting at my desk processing email live and can see the timing of email going to my BlackBerry and I've never noticed any appreciable delay between Gmail and my Curve.

If you enjoy your solution that's fine but there is no need to challenge the other poster's points which are very valid.

And you indeed have missed a very significant point. Please ask yourself which email address is easier to communicate and remember ...

johnsmith@gmail.com ... (that's john smith at gmail dot com)

or

johnsmith@tmo.blackberry.net ... (that's john smith at tmo dot blackberry dot net - please remember to put the tmo first and then the blackberry and don't forget that it's dot net not dot com, did you get that or do I need to tell you again so you remember or should I write it down for you?)

The BlackBerry email address is simply not an easy or practical solution for most people.

Wow, the way you guys simply misread and misrepresent posts is truly astonishing.

First, you point out that email hits gmail.com and your blackberry at the same time. Wonderful. However, that's not the point. At all. The point I made, which is 100% true, is that mail to the bb.net account will arrive at the device sooner than mail to gmail configured to that same bb. Sometimes by a few seconds, sometimes by several minutes.

Second, you chide me for deriding other peoples valid points and methods, when that's *exactly* what the prior poster did to my post. And as has been pointed out, his post was filled with misunderstanding, misinformation, and FUD.

Third, I never suggested, even once, that using a bb.net account as ones primary address - i.e. having to give it out and ask people to remember it - was part of the value of the account. Nor did I suggest the poster do it. Nor did I say that *I* do it. I pointed out that it has valid, important, alternate uses - particularly when paired with an ISP account which would otherwise require periodic polling (as opposed to being real-time). Why is that so difficult to understand or accept? You do realize there are tons of people in the world whose primary email addresses are neither gmail nor yahoo, don't you? And aren't in a position for BES? But who would nonetheless like to get their email in real time? And can therefore use their bb.net address for this purpose? Sheesh.

You guys - I don't post often, but check my sign up date - I've been around here for a lot longer than most of you. I suggest you read posts a bit more carefully, and think about what you write before you write it.

TM
Old 10-05-2007, 09:18 AM   #15
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppeljr View Post
Yahoo and GMail both provide notification service to RIM for new messages, thus speeding up the delivery of new messages to those mailboxes.

Forwarding to the TMO address is no longer necessary, but the address is useful , if you need it.

100% agreed. It is precisely that notification process which slightly delays delivery to the device as compared with mail to a bb.net account. Sometimes it's a few seconds, sometimes several minutes, behind a message to the bb.net account.

Certainly no need to forward gmail or yahoo to the bb.net account these days (that was part of my original post). But absolutely helpful to do so with a pop/isp account.

TM
Old 10-05-2007, 07:38 PM   #16
wirelessforever
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Wow, the way you guys simply misread and misrepresent posts is truly astonishing. Second, you chide me for deriding other peoples valid points and methods, when that's *exactly* what the prior poster did to my post. And as has been pointed out, his post was filled with misunderstanding, misinformation, and FUD.
Please SPECIFICALLY cite what in the following is misrepresented, deriding or invalid:

[email address] ... (that's john smith at gmail dot com)

or

[email address] ... (that's john smith at tmo dot blackberry dot net - please remember to put the tmo first and then the blackberry and don't forget that it's dot net not dot com, did you get that or do I need to tell you again so you remember or should I write it down for you?)

Again, please be specific and note EXACTLY what is misrepresented, deriding or invalid.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:35 PM   #17
natan

Model: 8320

Quote:

Fourth, as far as managing replies, there again you're wrong, and in fact very much so. Perhaps the situation you described was once the case. But today, you can set up the bb.net account to show a different "reply to" address - both as the default, as well as on the fly. I know because I do this all the time. My ISP account is the default reply-to, and I sometimes choose another of my accounts when it makes sense.

TM
How do you set that up? How do you make your ISP account the default reply-to address and the ability to choose another account from which to reply?
Old 10-07-2007, 04:51 AM   #18
wirelessforever
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by natan View Post
How do you set that up? How do you make your ISP account the default reply-to address and the ability to choose another account from which to reply?
Mr. Moody is not a serious poster. He's made wild claims and now seemingly has fled from clarifying his personal attacks. Really that stuff is unneeded here. That kind of thing is what ruined HoFo.

As for your specific email questions, the Blackberry email function is reduntant and not particularly useful for the reasons noted in this message set. You are better off just sticking to your principal email address. There really are no substantive advantages to the BlackBerry email address option.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:01 AM   #19
rocky999
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: at&T
Default no web interface though, right?

I cannot access my att.blackberry.net account from my desktop, correct?
Old 10-08-2007, 06:25 AM   #20
wirelessforever
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky999 View Post
I cannot access my att.blackberry.net account from my desktop, correct?
Correct.

It can only be accessed from your BlackBerry.

Another reason it's not a very good email solution option.
Closed Thread