BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 04:12 PM   #1
JinFocker
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint
Default possibly jumping ship from 8800 to iphone(now that its cheaper and can be unlocked)

Please Login to Remove!

has anyone done the change? pros and cons of each?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Pros and Cons of each? That's a way loaded question... since you're comparing Apples to Berries. (pun intended)

The two devices serve different purposes and are meant for two different types of users.
It all depends on what your particular needs are and how you will use the device.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Do sell your Blackberry as you will be back.

I have to admit it is a slick device but could not replace what I need a Blackberry for. A friend has one and the battery will not last a full workday so get an extra charger and one for the car if you travel.

Enjoy
Old 09-18-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

It might be able to be unlocked, but I don't think it is an easy or quick task and is somewhat risky. Has anyone done it without using a soldering iron?
Old 09-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #5
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Unlocking is no longer a problem.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
wiscaudi

Model: 8820

anySIM

iUnlock
Old 09-18-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscaudi View Post
Thanks. Learn something every day.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:30 PM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

You won't find a bigger Apple fanboi than me, anywhere. But even I have to say, as slick as the iPhone is, it can't compete with the Blackberry as a communication tool.

Plus, keep this in mind. One of the coolest features of the iPhone is Visual Voicemail. It's a huge selling point and figures prominently in Steve Jobs' demos. And you can only get it with AT&T. So if you're going to get an iPhone and unlock it, this feature will be missing.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:45 PM   #9
atuarre

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re

The iPhone cannot compare to the Blackberry. I own both, and although the iPhone is a nice toy to have, it can never nor will it ever compete with a Blackberry device.

E-mail on the iPhone is severely glitched. It does not play well with exchange. It does not even work well with Yahoo! mail, the mail they advertising that would be pushed to the iPhone from Yahoo.

Software is web based, which also creates some issues.

I suggest you do comparison between the two devices before you rush out and buy one.

Last edited by atuarre; 09-18-2007 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: Added some additional information
Old 09-19-2007, 12:19 AM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

I wouldn't recommend it if you like to IM alot either. No IM clients for the iPhone. What IM software there is is web based as the above poster stated.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:53 AM   #11
RobM

Model: 8800
PIN: 240721B8
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
You won't find a bigger Apple fanboi than me, anywhere. But even I have to say, as slick as the iPhone is, it can't compete with the Blackberry as a communication tool.

Plus, keep this in mind. One of the coolest features of the iPhone is Visual Voicemail. It's a huge selling point and figures prominently in Steve Jobs' demos. And you can only get it with AT&T. So if you're going to get an iPhone and unlock it, this feature will be missing.
There is a visual voicemail app for the blackberry (I remember seeing it)...do a search and I am sure you will find it

rob
Old 09-20-2007, 08:10 PM   #12
motogq
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
PIN: 23F635E7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
There is a visual voicemail app for the blackberry (I remember seeing it)...do a search and I am sure you will find it

rob
Simulsays is visual voicemail for the Blackberry. To add the transcription feature, you can add Simulscribe for a fee. Simulsays works better than the Iphone's visual voicemail because the message is sent directly to your Blackberry so you won't need to dial your voicemail. Just select the message in the app & click the play button. Instant gratification!

Last edited by motogq; 09-20-2007 at 08:13 PM..
Old 09-20-2007, 09:41 PM   #13
nuopus
No longer Registered.

Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinFocker View Post
has anyone done the change? pros and cons of each?
So what if it is unlocked? You do know that an unlocked iPhone on another carrier is gimped right? Lots of things won't work on it including visual voice mail?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:12 AM   #14
JinFocker

did my research and i think i'm going to make the switch. they have tons of hacks for 3rd party apps. i actually still have another bb (8700) for work so im not leaving the bb family totally, but i cant wait to mess around with the media and wifi features of the phone. plus,i'm sick of watching videos on a 1 inch by 1 inch screen(sarcasm) when the iphone is bigger. i'll keep yall posted once i make the switch and let you know how it is. also, im going to be doing the unlock by myself as well as all the 3rd party software, NES emulator, youtube hack, etc.

ps--anyone looking to buy an 8800 unlocked or a 4gb sandisk micro sd, or a 1gb microsd-sandisk, or a 1 gb kingston microsd??
Old 09-21-2007, 11:25 AM   #15
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinFocker View Post
did my research and i think i'm going to make the switch.

i cant wait to mess around with the media and wifi features of the phone. plus,i'm sick of watching videos on a 1 inch by 1 inch screen(sarcasm) when the iphone is bigger.
Well, there ya go! Absolutely NO doubt that the iPhone is the best video iPod media thing out there. Enjoy that media, hopefully phone, email and IM functionality ain't that important to ya!
Old 09-21-2007, 12:40 PM   #16
jewberry
No longer Registered.

Model: 1
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Aircraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by atuarre View Post
The iPhone cannot compare to the Blackberry. I own both, and although the iPhone is a nice toy to have, it can never nor will it ever compete with a Blackberry device.

E-mail on the iPhone is severely glitched. It does not play well with exchange. It does not even work well with Yahoo! mail, the mail they advertising that would be pushed to the iPhone from Yahoo.

Software is web based, which also creates some issues.

I suggest you do comparison between the two devices before you rush out and buy one.
I got super bored with my iPhone after a week and was lucky to get my money back. It's not even a toy- it's a pure novelty.

My advice? Pick up a new iPod Touch and get the real benefit of the Apple without sacrificing pda functionality.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:22 PM   #17
MichaelBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 0000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
Well, there ya go! Absolutely NO doubt that the iPhone is the best video iPod media thing out there. Enjoy that media, hopefully phone, email and IM functionality ain't that important to ya!
Everything you knock will come eventually to the Iphone, it did not happen over night for BB's so its definetly not going to happen overnight for the Iphone.

As far as switching I did and have had the following experiences with the Iphone.

The activation was a PITA for the IPhone, Did everything according to the steps in Itune's and it was fine, till I went to use the Iphone and make calls. took an hour and a half for them to figure it out and fix the problem and then came the YOU TUBE issue of not loading and other problems with Safari.

In the end and the following morning I called Apple support and got the rest of the problems cleared up, and Wifi is awesome on this. The email issues are being worked on and as I already said with something new theres going to be problems and fixes

There are opinions and limitations with everything . For me the BB I get @45% discount and NO contract and a 22% discount off the monthly bill, also the things that I look at is this, diagnostics and time to ship a new bb if mine has problems that cannot be fixed over the phone. You can buy more memory and put music and movies on the BB as long as it meets the BB standard, I believe.

With the IPhone I can get an extended warranty and the device fixed or swapped out on the spot at the local apple store. I have to have a two year contract with AT&T which should be OK, it has so far , the only alternative is to go back to VZW and get there crippled BB8830, which is in the back of my mind right now.

The Iphone can only get better, Verizon should have met Apple halfway and worked out something. Data speeds between surfing the web with bb's on AT&T and VZW are the same , myself and a co-worker tested this and included his Palm also, we saw NO difference in the speed's at all and loaded graphics intensive sites.

I would NOT bash either one. I don't know myself if I am going to keep the IPhone, the biggest thing that pisses me off is the two year contract, and to have to deal with CS reps that just SUCK and should not even have the job. Network speed and data speed are fine.

I am sure theres more I could add, but I think I already got long winded enough.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #18
JinFocker

o...i'm soooo getting the iphone now. they just got a hack for visual voicemial for unlocked iphone;

iPhone Hacks : Use this Hack to Activate the Voicemail Button on your Unlocked iPhone)
Old 09-21-2007, 02:39 PM   #19
DJAnyStyle

Model: 8820
Default Keep the BB and forget the iPhone for now...

So, here's a disclaimer: Everything I own is Apple. Since forever. Bought the iPhone for me and my wife as soon as it came out. Thought it would change my life - and, it did. I lost touch with the world.

It's a great iPod and browser device (when connected via WiFi - NOT EDGE). But a serious communication tool it is not - not yet at least...

It's all software, so it's got potential, but it just not there yet. Plus, it's only 8GB - c'mon - really???

Needless to say, I have two iPhones for sale and my wife and I are back to our beloved BB's. Me on the 8820 and she on the Curve...

Never thought I'd write something like this, but KEEP THE BLACKBERRY!!!!!

My two pennies...

DJAnyStyle
Old 09-21-2007, 02:56 PM   #20
MichaelBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 0000

R U using your BB's for Pleasure or work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnyStyle View Post
So, here's a disclaimer: Everything I own is Apple. Since forever. Bought the iPhone for me and my wife as soon as it came out. Thought it would change my life - and, it did. I lost touch with the world.

It's a great iPod and browser device (when connected via WiFi - NOT EDGE). But a serious communication tool it is not - not yet at least...

It's all software, so it's got potential, but it just not there yet. Plus, it's only 8GB - c'mon - really???

Needless to say, I have two iPhones for sale and my wife and I are back to our beloved BB's. Me on the 8820 and she on the Curve...

Never thought I'd write something like this, but KEEP THE BLACKBERRY!!!!!

My two pennies...

DJAnyStyle
Closed Thread