Old 08-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #1
EmeraldICE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Thumbs down Plantronics Voyager 510

Please Login to Remove!

I was contemplating on whether I should buy either this headset or the Jawbone, but I looked up some reviews on pcmag.com and the 510 seemed like a very good headset, and also since I found this headset on sale, I decided to order one.
So, I received the Plantronics Voyager 510 in the mail last Friday and I've been testing it this weekend, and the range is excellent compared to my previous headset (Jabra BT250) but everyone has been complaining to me about static and that my voice is very quiet.

What's the problem with it?
Did I just get a defective unit or is my phone not compatible?
Pearl 8100.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

This is why I don't really use the Bluetooth headsets. While they are convenient I still prefer the wired headset that comes with the BlackBerry. My Motorola H700 seemed to work better when I would set the "Trusted" parameter to Yes, disable Encryption and set the Echo Control to On, but some people still said that I sounded as if I was in a closet. That was with my BlackBerry 8700g in the Device Properties for my H700. But I no longer use it any longer because the wired headset is soooo much clearer.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
alslsb
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
PIN: erest
Carrier: Verizon

I have the 510. Great low cost bluetooth headet. I can hear everyone clearly but get the same comments. I think you get what you pay for. I use it to listen in on conference calls, but if I ever need one for extended two way conversations, I will cough up the extra bones for the Blackberry branded plantronics; it has great reviews
Old 08-26-2007, 02:57 PM   #4
EmeraldICE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yeah, I have a wired headset which I use for long phone calls and of course, wired headsets will always be better than wireless.
But there is no way I can use the 510 with a two way conversation.
And like alslsb said, I can hear them perfectly, but then, as soon as I start talking, I get told that they hear some static-ness to my voice and that it sounds like I am far away from my phone.

I think I might send this one back and get the Jawbone... or maybe I'll just wait until bluetooth headsets become better.

It's just very odd because the 510 pcmag review (The Best Bluetooth Headsets - Plantronics Voyager 510 - Review by PC Magazine) makes it sound like an incredible headset.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:16 PM   #5
nonsequitur

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

i've had this headset for a while with no complaints from others i talk to. it may be that recent runs of this model haven't had the same quality. it is a model that has been around for a while, so production quality may not be getting the same attention.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:58 AM   #6
JimPearl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Angry Can't disconnect call w/headset button

Pressing the button on the boom ~1 sec should disconnect the call; on my unit it turns off the bluetooth icon on the screen, but the CALL IS STILL CONNECTED.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:32 AM   #7
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Ive tried alot of the bluetooth headsets and the jawbone is by far the best
Old 08-27-2007, 12:17 PM   #8
TheGreggers

Model: 8320
PIN: 24708EAC
Carrier: T-Mobile

Personally, I'm a long time fan of Plantronics bluetooth products.

I'm not saying I don't get the typical static, background noise, and wind that everyone else gets.

But I've always found the Plantronics devices (Explorer & Voyagers mainly) to be very comfortable, affordable, and reliable.

I'm currently running the Explorer 330, and haven't had very many issues other than the expected on it.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:17 PM   #9
EmeraldICE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yeah I agree with you Gregger. The headset is EXTREMELY comfortable. It's the most comfortable one I've tried.
This headset would be perfect for someone who had to wear a headset all day, using it for short phone calls.

Dawg, is the jawbone comfortable?
Have you received any complaints from any callers?
Old 08-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #10
TheGreggers

Model: 8320
PIN: 24708EAC
Carrier: T-Mobile

Oh yes. The comfort level is really what stands out to me.

I usually wear mine from around 8am to 8pm..
I make long to short phone calls.. but the static/issues don't bug me enough for me to switch to another device.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:03 PM   #11
nextelnutt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100
Carrier: Nextel
Default My thoughts...

I have had the Voyager 510, the first one which did not have a built in wind screen and the second one, which did. I loved the second ones until my dog chewed it. Obviously, it tasted good too.

The Discovery 665 in my opion sucks...

Battery life isn't that great and the noise reduction. What noise reduction, there isn't none. I have talked to my dad on a conference call to check it and its a joke.

Don't buy that one. If you don't like the 510, I trade you even up for the 510 if it has the built in wind screen.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:18 PM   #12
ShelW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T Mobile

I tried the Voyager 510, and could not get it to lay against my face, it kept pointing away from me. I also didn't find using it that good.

I ended up trying (along with a LOT of other bt headsets) the Plantronics Explorer 340.

GREAT headset! Excellent sound, battery last me days, and one of the models comes with a car charger and storage clip (clips on to your air conditioning vent)

I really spent quite a while trying out numerous headphones, including the more expensive Plantroics. They either had incoming/outgoing sound problems, or wouldn't stay in my ear, or felt VERY uncomfortable... this one really had the best sound quality, and is really comfortable to wear.

Being it comes with a car charger, and I use it almost exclusively when I'm in the car, it basically stays in the car. No need to take it out, as I can charge it from my car.

(There are two versions, with the same headset... one comes with an A/C charger and (I believe) usb charger, the other model comes with car charger and holder.

Might be worth your checking out.