Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
rafise
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Cool BB 8830 VS Treo 755P

Please Login to Remove!

Blackberry 8830 or Treo 755p from sprint?
I am getting a new phone and i am still undecided between the two. Can anyone help?
Old 08-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
AndrewAZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafise View Post
Blackberry 8830 or Treo 755p from sprint?
I am getting a new phone and i am still undecided between the two. Can anyone help?
Depends on what you want. If you want something that has quality issues (I had 3 755p's all replaced because of hardware issues like key not working out of the box, button stop working, back light died.) Also the 755p and all palm smart phones crash all the time. But the 755p does win out in the area that it has more programs and you can stream video and stuff to it easily, I aslo experienced higher tethering speed with the 755p, along with a cheaper data package it makes the 755p an attractive phone.

The BB on the other hand is rock solid, the internet is always on so you dont have to wait for it to connect every time you want to use it on the treo, email is 100 times better on the BB. BB has built in GPS which is useful, treo you have to carry around a GPS puck. Battery life on the BB is at least twice as long as on the treo. I would have to recharge my 755p halfway into the day and my BB can last easily 1 1/2 days. BB on sprint you pay for the BB data which is $39.99 a month which is $20 more than what you would pay for the treo, but you ge to use your BB as a modem for your computer and on the treo you cant unless you upgrade to the $39.99 a month package. The only downfall of the BB for me is the texting its still good, but the treos method of handling text messages are unmatched in the cell phone world. But with a few updates to the BB that could easily be achieved... Oh one last thing I had the 700p before hand and it took palm more than a year to pump out an update for the OS, BB seems to be on top of things and has updates for their phones. Also bluetooth on the BB is much better than the treo.

Once you go blackberry you dont go back. Dont listen to people who say its got no touch screen its not any good. I used to say that but once you learn how to use the BB its a much better device to navigate. Plus the screen doesnt get smudged up or scratched like the treos.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
pinhead
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 30EC5097
Carrier: T-Mobile

Since you are comparing the 8830 and the 755p it makes the choice pretty easy. The 8830 is a MUCH better device all around. You have BlackBerry email, GPS internally, a very simple OS, rock solid stability, useful speakerphone (one of the best on mobiles), a great keyboard, great battery life (even on CDMA it is good), better security features, easy synchronization, complete device backup and restore is INCLUDED in the desktop manager, more aesthetically pleasing device, and dangit...it is a BlackBerry!

I really love touchscreen devices, especially Windows Mobile devices, as they ARE often easier to use than all of the scrolling required with BlackBerry devices. Running Blackberry connect on some of them is really making them excellent as well (though I wish PIN messaging was possible) for email. I think many Blackberry users think that they are the best, and for good reason, but this is not always true. In this particular comparison it is though.

Get the 8830.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:23 PM   #4
pacman777

hmmm... I wonder what kind of replies you would get if you posted this question in the Treo section. I think you're going to get BB biased replies here. Don't get me wrong, I love my sprint BB8830!
Old 08-10-2007, 06:57 AM   #5
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

I had a 700P. The 8830 is much better in both performance and stability. They only negative is the BB data plan is $25 more then the cheapest Power Vision Plan that the 755P uses.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #6
rafise

Thanks guys, I just got today the bb 8830 I love it very easy to use & the emails I love it. let me ask one more thing, can I install a wireless minisd card on the card reader on this phone? hhmmm?
Old 08-10-2007, 12:33 PM   #7
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

phone takes microSD and i think the answer is no.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
rafise

Let me correct my self ---> Yes microSD wireless that's what I ment.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:52 PM   #9
AndrewAZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

No a wireless card wont work. You just have to use the EVDO which is as fast as built in wi-fi since the phone itself can not handle the full EVDO speed on the browser rendering anyways.

I had a ppc 6800 (mogual) and I couldnt tell a difference between wi-fi and evdo everything still ran at the same speed, so when people talk about having wi-fi in a phone I brush that off cuse I know its not faster than EVDO and the only reason they have it like the iphone is because they dont have a high speed data network like sprint and verizon.

But if you post 8830 vs treo in the treocentral I would say most of the poeople that have had the 700p and 755p would tell you to try the 8830 first and they wish they could get out of their contract and get one. I know a lot of us changed from the 700p to a free upgrade of the 755p and only a few of us were given options to move to the 8830 at no cost and I took that.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:30 PM   #10
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ?
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
Depends on what you want. If you want something that has quality issues (I had 3 755p's all replaced because of hardware issues like key not working out of the box, button stop working, back light died.) Also the 755p and all palm smart phones crash all the time. But the 755p does win out in the area that it has more programs and you can stream video and stuff to it easily, I aslo experienced higher tethering speed with the 755p, along with a cheaper data package it makes the 755p an attractive phone.

The BB on the other hand is rock solid, the internet is always on so you dont have to wait for it to connect every time you want to use it on the treo, email is 100 times better on the BB. BB has built in GPS which is useful, treo you have to carry around a GPS puck. Battery life on the BB is at least twice as long as on the treo. I would have to recharge my 755p halfway into the day and my BB can last easily 1 1/2 days. BB on sprint you pay for the BB data which is $39.99 a month which is $20 more than what you would pay for the treo, but you ge to use your BB as a modem for your computer and on the treo you cant unless you upgrade to the $39.99 a month package. The only downfall of the BB for me is the texting its still good, but the treos method of handling text messages are unmatched in the cell phone world. But with a few updates to the BB that could easily be achieved... Oh one last thing I had the 700p before hand and it took palm more than a year to pump out an update for the OS, BB seems to be on top of things and has updates for their phones. Also bluetooth on the BB is much better than the treo.

Once you go blackberry you dont go back. Dont listen to people who say its got no touch screen its not any good. I used to say that but once you learn how to use the BB its a much better device to navigate. Plus the screen doesnt get smudged up or scratched like the treos.

I am in the same boat and wondering if I made a mistake. I was a current palm user and a nextel user and I tryed the 7100 briefly and hated the slow internet speeds on the dated 7100 phone. I decided to give a Treo a try and now wondering if I did the right thing . I work for local government and get 21% off my whole bill this helps with data plan add ons.I also got my unlimited web and email for 10.00 , then added the 1,000 text messages for a data total of 20.00. I assumed that the threaded sms on the Treo is using texting so I needed it correct? I just got my first bill and found an additional 10.00 in sms charges above my 20.00 dollar data? Anybody understand how sprint figures this out? I setup a email address with my boss of [email address]. I assumed this was a text message like my last nextel phone was but starting to wonder if that is my sms charges that I can't figure out?

So what i am wondering is I am 2 weeks into my trial of sprint as I ported from Nexsnail. Do you think it would benefit me to return the Treo and add the data plan to a 8830 use the blackberry address for sending instant messages to the phone to avoid extra charges? I am finding I don't use the camera, video or sprint tv. I need a good phone first, todo list, calendar,memos, sync with outlook, email.

I am a weather freak and hate having to wait for weather updates or email while the network logs on but 10.00 unlimited is hard to beat.

Last edited by Tritan; 08-12-2007 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-13-2007, 04:57 AM   #11
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post

what do you mean by updating this can be achieved ? Are there 3rd party programs to handle texting like the Treo is that an extra charge for text or is it included in your plan like your teather to the laptop. How often do you teather and what kinds of speed to you get. I looked into this with the Treo but found the same thing an extra 39.99 to use it with my treo.

I am also wonder does the 8830 come with a holster or case of some kind I was really disappointed to see the Treo with nothing. Any pics?

What is the build quality compared to the 8830? I am really cautious with my Treo it doesn't seem like it has good build quaility and the touch screen makes me nervous.

when i would send to this email address [email address] it would cost me a MMS message when I tryed the 7100 on nextel. Is this true with sprint?

My Treo has the option of roaming on ,roaming automatic or Sprint only is there a way to turn this on and off?

Last edited by Tritan; 08-13-2007 at 05:05 AM..
Old 08-13-2007, 07:03 PM   #12
epp

Carrier: Verizon
Thumbs up Fantastic device

I've owned a 650 and 755P before switching to the 8830.

No comparison.

I love the stability and the instant push/pull of email.

I've had this phone for a month with no lockups nor problems.

Took 1/2 hour to figure it out, don't miss the touch screen, don't miss docs to go....too small to be useful anyways. No camera on 8830...don't care.

For ME, the phone is perfect.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:06 PM   #13
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

You can get weather on the home screen is this true? I also have some questions can you dowload google maps? Can you use google maps for real time directions without subscription? I was told you can take advantage of the gps for real time directions without needing a gps puck for turn by turn.
I read you can use the 8830 on sprint and teather your laptop without added cost is this true?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:21 PM   #14
bubbatex

Model: Storm
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritan View Post
I read you can use the 8830 on sprint and teather your laptop without added cost is this true?
Yes, the $40/mo BB plan includes PAM (heck, for $40 it SHOULD!).
Old 08-14-2007, 04:38 PM   #15
GT5L
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: askme
Default here is what I think

I have been a loyal palm customer for over 10 yers. I bought almost every device they ever came up with (even before the smartphone craze). I have bought also every smartphone (Starting with handspring) all the way to the Treo 700p. I have recently switched to the BB and I have never looked back. Palm failed to meet my expectations more time than I could count, with poor OS support, devices with bugs and over 12 month to release an MR update that only added salt to injury. The endless reset loops, the tons of 3rd party apps that you needed to get the device to do what it should out of the box is what drove me away from the Palm OS. I would not own another palm device even if it was given to me for free.
I bought the 8800 and used it for a couple of months overseas and now I have the 8830 on the sprint network. I don't miss anything and I feel that I have more with a more compact reliable true business device.
My advice, pick the BB and you will not regret it, there is nothing palm has to offer that the BB does not (one could say the touch screen, I would say that I did not use it on the palm so I don't miss it)
Old 08-14-2007, 09:36 PM   #16
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
Yes, the $40/mo BB plan includes PAM (heck, for $40 it SHOULD!).

is this true for all blackberries? I have been looking at a 7100 again, I miss the 2-way.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:09 AM   #17
Bat9th

You can't stream video on the BB 8830!? I can't goto espn or whatever and watch videos? Also they ONLY way to get internet on the BB is a 39.99 plan? Wow. The normal unlimited data plans for sprint is 15 dollars. So if I bought a BB I would have to agree to the 39.99 plan? I want the BB but thats expensive.. i'm pretty poor. Oh and can the BB or Treo play a.m. radio? Sports talk radio is where its at. May it possibly make more sense and pay a extra 100 to get the Sprint Mogul to avoid the 39.99 plan?

Last edited by Bat9th; 08-17-2007 at 10:12 AM..
Old 08-19-2007, 07:17 PM   #18
damnfly

Model: 8300e
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by epp View Post
I've owned a 650 and 755P before switching to the 8830.

No comparison.

I love the stability and the instant push/pull of email.

I've had this phone for a month with no lockups nor problems.

Took 1/2 hour to figure it out, don't miss the touch screen, don't miss docs to go....too small to be useful anyways. No camera on 8830...don't care.

For ME, the phone is perfect.
Docs to go is coming out for blackberry!
Old 08-20-2007, 07:14 PM   #19
bubbatex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritan View Post
is this true for all blackberries? I have been looking at a 7100 again, I miss the 2-way.
I honestly don't know - I have always been on the Sprint side of the house.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:16 PM   #20
bubbatex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat9th View Post
You can't stream video on the BB 8830!? I can't goto espn or whatever and watch videos? Also they ONLY way to get internet on the BB is a 39.99 plan? Wow. The normal unlimited data plans for sprint is 15 dollars. So if I bought a BB I would have to agree to the 39.99 plan? I want the BB but thats expensive.. i'm pretty poor. Oh and can the BB or Treo play a.m. radio? Sports talk radio is where its at. May it possibly make more sense and pay a extra 100 to get the Sprint Mogul to avoid the 39.99 plan?
For everything you said above that is important to you - I would get the Mogul.
Closed Thread