Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
sunshineprincess

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Default thinking...curve

Please Login to Remove!

Hi. so i don't have a blackberry. I signed up on this forum to get and find information on my boyfriend's 8700 since he didn't want to find it himself. ANYWAY...I like the features on his phone, BUT love the idea of having a camera. SO, with that said, I'm thinking of getting the Curve from AT&T, the new cingular who is my carrier, but not sure if it's the right decision yet.

concerns:
1. the fact that i have to buy add on to use internet and whatnot for the phone.
2. the fact that for me, not cheep.
3. will I be disappointed?

help me please!

-noob-
Old 08-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Sunshine, I don't think you will be disappointed. I don't work for RIM, or a BB retailer, and there are lemons in the bunch some of the time. Most people dearly love their 8300, and some have had some glitches here and there. You can read of both in the 8300 forum (BUT, remember--the wide majority of the peeps out there using a BlackBerry or the 8300 specifically are not looking at these forums because they have not had a problem. Those users are just crusin and smiling and enjoying the toy).

That said, if it is too expensive, get a 8100 Pearl. Still a camera, and a little easier on the price now a days. You do need the monthly BlackBerry Data Plan to enjoy your BB to its fullest.

I am sure others will chime in with their opinions as well. Weigh it all and ask back if you need more info. You are using these forums for exactly their purpose.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
mishycupcakes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C
Carrier: Cingular

Well, if you sign up for a new contract, it's not that expensive. x_x

I'm very happy with my Blackberry. Even if you don't wish to pay for the internet, you can still use it for messaging... it'd probably be more useful to if you have unlimited texting. But... without an internet plan, it's almost pointless to have this kind of phone (that's just my personal opinion, though).

I used to have an 8700c and I loved it. You can get a refurb with a new contract for very cheap, and maybe just spend the rest of the money on a great digital camera (Canon, haha)
Old 08-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
Defiance
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: 3030AD2E
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

It's a good phone. I haven't been disappointed yet. It's a decent phone and worth the cost.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have to agree w/Michelle (mishycupcakes) -

Doesn't make a lot of sense to spend the money on a BB without a data plan, unless you pick up an older / used one cheap, and just take advantage of the keyboard to make texting easier.

I've had a LOT of phones in the past 15 years, and in recent years I've used Windows Mobile, Treo's, and four or five different blackberry's. The 8800, the Pearl and the Curve are all fantastic. I personally found the 8800 a bit too big and clunky for comfort. The pearl is delightful - so compact that I never used a case - just slipped it in a pocket, and it always performed well. The only things I wasn't crazy about with the pearl were the small screen and the 2-letter-per-key layout. The Curve came out, and to me, it was the ideal device. I've had one every since, and wouldn't trade it for any other phone on the market. In my opinion, it's about the best trade-off between design, form factor, convenience and functionality on the market today.

Be sure, though, that you know why you're buying the device and committing to a carrier plan. If you don't want internet and email, then it's likely that a new blackberry is overkill. If you just want a big keyboard like this so you can text more easily, I'd suggest getting either a used blackberry (older model), or a used Treo.

If you're considering email and internet, and can afford a data plan add-on (BIS / Blackberry Internet Service - typically $20 to $30 a month on top of your normal calling plan, depending on carrier), then I wholeheartedly recommend the Curve.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:00 PM   #6
akg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: Mont Blanc
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 9000: BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I agree with everything that's been stated so far and wholeheartedly recommend the Curve. This phone deserves a data plan though if you can afford it. Otherwise it's pretty much just phone and text (officially).

BES 4.1.6 Exchange 2003 SP2
Old 08-08-2007, 09:27 AM   #7
jsaradhi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: curve
Carrier: AT&T

hi there,

i was in the same boat as u abt a month ago...and i finally got my curve from amazon.com with at&t. the phone was $90 and it had $100 in mail-in rebates...so i got paid $10 for getting the curve. and now the price went down to $60, so they credited me with the $30 because of their policy! did i mention that i love amazon! so i guess what i'm trying to say is that u can get a great deal on the phone, but yeah the monthly data plan is something that u will have to pay ($20-30 per month) if you are with at&t. i believe pearls are even cheaper than curves. not sure though...i love my curve though...its awesome! i'm completely satisfied that i got it

and there r ppl here that can help u with improving ur curve experience...

Last edited by jsaradhi; 08-08-2007 at 09:29 AM..
Closed Thread