SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I added all that in after the OP posted the upgrade thread....
Well then a gold star for Mr. Clark class.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #142
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco View Post
Well then a gold star for Mr. Clark class.
Nah, but it does save me from saying "delete the vendor.xml file" 300 times in a thread!
Old 07-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #143
hartmanbj
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob2k View Post
my multitap works great now that i downgraded to 71....or was it 79? its one of those.
How did you downgrade?
Old 07-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #144
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartmanbj View Post
How did you downgrade?
Simply uninstall any OS later than the one you want to install again. Be sure to uninstall from Control Panel >Add/remove Programs.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:12 PM   #145
zero7404

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

so what's everyone's verdict on this OS release ? solid as a brick or buggy ?

i think i need to jump to this release from my current 4.2.1.96 if i want 4GB support.

also, would it be ok to uninstall my previous 4.2.0 and 4.2.1 OS's using add/remove programs in XP ? i am going to do this before installing this new 4.2.1.164 OS on my PC.

Last edited by zero7404; 07-14-2007 at 08:16 PM..
Old 07-15-2007, 03:35 PM   #146
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I think it's pretty solid.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:16 PM   #147
lakercrazed79

Model: 8900
PIN: 24AA984D
Carrier: tmobile

what are alot of the main differences of the new software compared to the tmobile software that we already have ?
Old 07-16-2007, 08:58 AM   #148
rouen1969
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: 312D2644
Carrier: Verizon
Default Multi Tap Better

I've been using the new OS since Friday morning... so far everything is good... no bugs. No major changes that I can see yet. My multitap issue is much better! It still will double type on occasion, but not like it was doing previously.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:40 PM   #149
JinFocker
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint

just upgraded to this software...what a pain in the arse. first off, i didnt back up...so its my bad. secondly, it took forever. so its confirmed that 4gb will work on this?
Old 07-16-2007, 03:41 PM   #150
John Clark
BBF Moderator

4Gb SD cards in the Pearl:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ork-pearl.html
Old 07-16-2007, 08:13 PM   #151
claykin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile

I would like to take a poll from Pearl users, especially those using this new software as to whether you are experiencing sluggishness or hourglassing to the point where its bothersome.

Just today I had a chance to use a friends Curve and his phone is so much snappier than mine. Just using the Browser and going to cnn.com, his Curve completed loading the page in less than 1/2 the time. We both had signal of about -70db at the time but he's on at&t and I'm on TMobile.

Anyone know how to setup the poll and if so can you do it for me.

Thanks in advance

Scott
Old 07-16-2007, 11:58 PM   #152
adorableone

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T US

I upgraded on Tuesday night, and I am not happy with the way the phone is performing. The phone lags an unnecessary amount, the internet will freeze, and now I am unable to access my pictures of my memory card.

This release did how ever fix the call dropping, it was the only thing i did not like about the .96 ATT release.

So I am on the fence about downgrading, I liked .96, but not the dropped calles. I like .101, but I don't know how much longer I can tolerate this. maybe I'll get lucky and another carrier will release an upgrade next week?
Old 07-17-2007, 07:17 AM   #153
SanFrancisco

PIN: HEAD

I like the new OS. I was on the original T-MO 42 OS from back in Sept. 2006. I have always avoided upgrading because I did not want to lose the ability to turn auto-dim off.

But since I wanted to use 4GB chips, I migrated to this OS.

So this new OS has the option to turn auto dim off and I am now using a 4GB MicroSD SDHC chip.

I do not notice any flaws. I use my Pearl for phone calls, e-mail, playing videos, MP3 and taking pics. I do NOT access the Net all that much. I don't think I have logged on the browser in about two months. I have used the Pearl as a modem about three times a week.

I have not noticed any issues because I don't pay that much attention to what is going on. My Pearl with the new OS has performed the above functions fine, so I don't have anything to complain about. It seems to operated fast enough for me, but like I said, I am not benchmarking it from earlier performance stats, etc.

I also have not had any issues with crashes, etc. The multi-media functions have all been fine.

For those of you having problems, maybe you have some program on the Pearl that is causing conflicts? I have noticed in the past that programs can cause problems with the OS.

For example, I had that program "BlackBerry Alerts" which was a program to change the way the LED notifier acts when messages comes in [changes colors, etc.].

Well, for a long time whenever I used the "delete prior" feature in e-mail [to delete a group of e-mails] once in awhile the OS would crash and I would have to reboot.

It was by fortuitous coincidence that the problem stopped, but when I installed BlackBerry Alerts after a system wipe, the crashes started occurring again. So it was then that I figured out that BB Alerts was the issue. I removed the program and the crashes when using "delete prior" stopped and has not happened since.

Another example, Metsfan's free trackball color program conflicts with the $5 Colour Your Trackball program. Basically, you cannot have both on your Pearl because Colour Your Trackball will keep stepping aside to let the free program work over it. In other words, the Colour Your Trackball program would at times not work. Once I uninstalled the free program, the other worked perfect.

So that is why I say you might want to review what third party apps you have installed and consider if one of them might be causing problems such as conflicts, crashes, etc.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:13 AM   #154
larryj357

Carrier: TMobile/AT&T

I followed the OP instructions last night and was able to upgrade a replacement 8100 that TMobile sent me. So far so good, but I can't figure a few things out.

1. How do I get MyFaves added back. I did a search and saw a post with a way to edit the BlackBerry.alx, but it didn't work for me. Maybe I am missing something. I know I can get the calls for free but I really like the MyFaves application and the way it looks making and receivig calls.

2. I had five email address setup. 1 BES and 4 BIS. Well they are all on the applications list after my restore, but the 4 BIS don't seem to work. Is there a way to go to the TMobile site and repush the settings or do it from the device?

3. I didn't do the edited files for the package theme installation with the edited blackberry.alx because I don't fully understand the advantages. Can I have all themes at once on the device? Like Tmobile and Verizon if I wanted to?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:17 AM   #155
rouen1969
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: 312D2644
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco View Post
I like the new OS. I was on the original T-MO 42 OS from back in Sept. 2006. I have always avoided upgrading because I did not want to lose the ability to turn auto-dim off.

But since I wanted to use 4GB chips, I migrated to this OS.

So this new OS has the option to turn auto dim off and I am now using a 4GB MicroSD SDHC chip.

I do not notice any flaws. I use my Pearl for phone calls, e-mail, playing videos, MP3 and taking pics. I do NOT access the Net all that much. I don't think I have logged on the browser in about two months. I have used the Pearl as a modem about three times a week.

I have not noticed any issues because I don't pay that much attention to what is going on. My Pearl with the new OS has performed the above functions fine, so I don't have anything to complain about. It seems to operated fast enough for me, but like I said, I am not benchmarking it from earlier performance stats, etc.

I also have not had any issues with crashes, etc. The multi-media functions have all been fine.

For those of you having problems, maybe you have some program on the Pearl that is causing conflicts? I have noticed in the past that programs can cause problems with the OS.

For example, I had that program "BlackBerry Alerts" which was a program to change the way the LED notifier acts when messages comes in [changes colors, etc.].

Well, for a long time whenever I used the "delete prior" feature in e-mail [to delete a group of e-mails] once in awhile the OS would crash and I would have to reboot.

It was by fortuitous coincidence that the problem stopped, but when I installed BlackBerry Alerts after a system wipe, the crashes started occurring again. So it was then that I figured out that BB Alerts was the issue. I removed the program and the crashes when using "delete prior" stopped and has not happened since.

Another example, Metsfan's free trackball color program conflicts with the $5 Colour Your Trackball program. Basically, you cannot have both on your Pearl because Colour Your Trackball will keep stepping aside to let the free program work over it. In other words, the Colour Your Trackball program would at times not work. Once I uninstalled the free program, the other worked perfect.

So that is why I say you might want to review what third party apps you have installed and consider if one of them might be causing problems such as conflicts, crashes, etc.

Great post! I'm not noticing anything lagging, crashing, bugging, etc. I agree w/ with checking your applications to be sure they're not causing some sort of issue.

On the BB Alerts thing... I've not had any issues with it. I'm glad too, because I really like it.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:20 PM   #156
t_boufford585

Model: 8100
Carrier: cingular

what are the benefits of installing a new OS for the BB
Old 07-17-2007, 08:29 PM   #157
swifty2happy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Vodafone Australia

just updated mine, working like a dream!!!!

will update if i have any problems
Old 07-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #158
larryj357

Carrier: TMobile/AT&T

I got my working with MyFaves and the BIS email accounts. I like the new OS.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the preloaded Myfave Icons on the phone since I didn't use the vendor specific install.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:37 PM   #159
hotburnttoast
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Unique 8-character hexadecimal ID number assigned to all BlackBerrys

It takes forever to open folders on my Pearl, like the pictures folder and my media folder. Anyway to fix this
Old 07-19-2007, 07:11 AM   #160
billclark
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8120

It appears that this OS has introduced that "memory leak" everyone was talking about with 4.2.0.79 or whatever it was. Woke up this morning and my phone log, SMS messages, and email messages lists were all blank.

Never had this issue with previous OS versions, so I'm sure it's not my device. Going to downgrade to AT&T's 4.2.1 OS and see if that helps any. Too bad I'm going to lose the multitap functionality in the phone app :/

When I was your age, Pluto was still a planet.
Closed Thread