Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 06:49 AM   #1
Jim B

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default 911 accidental call

Please Login to Remove!

I just acquired the 8300 and apparently it called 911 on its own while in the holster. I don't think the keyboard was locked but I usually lock it when I use the holster. I can't find anything in the user book provided about emergency calling but I have heard that hitting the roller ball 3 times may do that. My caller log doesn't show any call to 911 but it does show the response number. What do I need to do to prevent unintended calls to 911? Can that feature be disabled?
Other than that I am pleased with the phone so far.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:36 AM   #2
stewsan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-mobile,AIS,Globe

Pressing the standby button on the top locks my 8300...
Old 06-29-2007, 07:40 AM   #3
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

If the keyboard is locked and a key is hit or the trackball is clicked, a menu comes up asking if you want to unlock or make an emergency call. If you select Emergency call you are asked again if you really want to make an emergency call. You have to select Yes and an emergency call is made.

That's a LOT of coincidental scrolling and clicking that has to be made in a specific sequence for an emergency call to be made. None of the defaults lead to this action. You have to scroll and hit [Enter] or click the trackball for this to happen.

You can not disable the ability to be able to make an emergency call on any phone. It's the law.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
ChadTheFrog

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile
Angry

That may be a lot of coincidental things, but it has almost happened to me numerous times. I can't count the number of times I have pulled my phone out of my pocket to see it asking, "Are you sure you want to make an emergency call?" - and it really bugs me when the YES is highlighted! It's almost better to keep the keylock off, because then the chance of accidentally dialing an emergency number would be infinitely smaller. I've owned 2 blackberries over 2 years, and I've been dreading the day I accidentally call - especially because the phone will probably be in my pocket and I'll have no clue it has happened.

About a month ago, I'm watching TV and my 1 year old suddenly has my phone in her hands. I take it away quickly, and notice she's dialed someone's number. I hang it up. The Police Department calls me back and asks if everything is ok because they just received an emergency call, to my embarassment.

Pressing ANY KEY on the phone brings up the menu. Click the trackball, roll it slightly to select the other option, and click it again. Or press enter in place of clicks. That's REALLY easy to do! Too easy.

So to say that this sort of thing can't easily happen and that "click-move-click" is a wonderful protection against it, you obviously haven't been dealing with this trackball phone or small children. Why not have it so that when you click Emergency Call, you have to actually dial 911 or something to dial it - similar to typing to verify a security wipe of the phone. I'm sure this will never be implemented, as the number of users that complains about this seems to be small. Makes me angry.

Last edited by ChadTheFrog; 07-09-2007 at 01:24 PM..
Old 07-09-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadTheFrog View Post
Why not have it so that when you click Emergency Call, you have to actually dial 911 or something to dial it - similar to typing to verify a security wipe of the phone. I'm sure this will never be implemented, as the number of users that complains about this seems to be small. Makes me angry.
Because the last thing I want to have to do while tied up in the trunk of car, in the dark, is to have to figure out some code to dial to get 911. Hence it is made easy.

In all seriousness, it is made that easy so that anyone who picks up the phone (not just the owner) is able to dial 911.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #6
ChadTheFrog

Smile Hi - Joined to find an answer to a problem

Hi everyone.

I've always used the "free" phone from my service provider when extending my contract. I always hated the limitations on it for taking notes, cutting and pasting, text messages, and calendar issues. Finally, I started searching for a new phone and decided to go with a Blackberry 7105T. I loved it! It didn't have any of the fancy features that other "fun" phones have, but it was great for work.

I never could get picture messages to work though, and after speaking with T-Mobile's customer support they informed me they would have to replace the phone. Due to the 7105T being out of stock, they sent me a Pearl. I love that thing even more.

My biggest complaint about the Blackberry is how the emergency call function is placed. My 1 year old managed to make one about a month ago. It's as easy as "click-scroll-click" I don't let her play with my phone, but it is hard to keep it hidden from her when I have it with me all the time. I posted my anger here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...tml#post594410

Can anyone tell me how to write programs for this thing? I would love to create some custom applications.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Hi everyone.

I've always used the "free" phone from my service provider when extending my contract. I always hated the limitations on it for taking notes, cutting and pasting, text messages, and calendar issues. Finally, I started searching for a new phone and decided to go with a Blackberry 7105T. I loved it! It didn't have any of the fancy features that other "fun" phones have, but it was great for work.

I never could get picture messages to work though, and after speaking with T-Mobile's customer support they informed me they would have to replace the phone. Due to the 7105T being out of stock, they sent me a Pearl. I love that thing even more.

My biggest complaint about the Blackberry is how the emergency call function is placed. My 1 year old managed to make one about a month ago. It's as easy as "click-scroll-click" I don't let her play with my phone, but it is hard to keep it hidden from her when I have it with me all the time. I posted my anger here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...tml#post594410

Can anyone tell me how to write programs for this thing? I would love to create some custom applications.
------------------

Last edited by Dawg; 07-09-2007 at 02:01 PM..
Old 07-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #8
ChadTheFrog

Dawg, you're kidding right? I didn't post this thread to discuss the problem so much as introduce myself and talk about my BB... That's why I included a LINK to the problem thread!

According to the read me about this thread, "Post in this forum to introduce yourself, where your from, what you do, what blackberry you use and anything else you wish to share with the community!"

Well, that's what I wish to share. Mods, please do not merge unless you want me to edit my topic. Sorry to offend ya Dawg. Thanks for the warm welcome...

Last edited by ChadTheFrog; 07-09-2007 at 01:52 PM..
Old 07-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #9
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Because the last thing I want to have to do while tied up in the trunk of car, in the dark, is to have to figure out some code to dial to get 911. Hence it is made easy.

In all seriousness, it is made that easy so that anyone who picks up the phone (not just the owner) is able to dial 911.
correct I have used this feature several times while on the road too. To report wreck or what have you.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:02 PM   #10
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Dawg, you're kidding right? I didn't post this thread to discuss the problem so much as introduce myself and talk about my BB... That's why I included a LINK to the problem thread!

According to the read me about this thread, "Post in this forum to introduce yourself, where your from, what you do, what blackberry you use and anything else you wish to share with the community!"

Well, that's what I wish to share. Mods, please do not merge unless you want me to edit my topic. Sorry to offend ya Dawg. Thanks for the warm welcome...
The reason I asked them to merge becuase it was the same question you posted here. The new members section isnt for asking questions its about introducing yourself.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:05 PM   #11
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Because the last thing I want to have to do while tied up in the trunk of car, in the dark...
Yeah, I can think of better things to do int hat situation as well... ;)
Old 07-11-2007, 12:28 PM   #12
Meatus

Model: 8100

I can't not mention how many times I've called 911 because of that stupid feature. Most of the time I get a call from them because I've called them while the phone was locked in my pocket. It's only 2 extra key strokes to unlock your phone and dial 911 manually than it is to do it from that stupid menu. I think that whole menu thing while your phone is lock is totally pointless. It gives you 3 options. Unlock, which you can't really unlock from there. If you select that it just tells you how to unlock your phone, which it does anyways if you hit any key while your phone is locked. Then you have the annoying emergency call option which I've already mentioned how much I hate it and last a cancel option to get out of that stupid menu. You wouldn't even need a cancel option if you didn't have those other pointless things on there. The whole point of locking your keys is to keep you from calling or getting into things while your phone is in your pocket! I absolutely love this phone but this is the stupidest feature on a phone I've seen in a long time!!! Can't RIM/Blackberry at least give us the option to turn that option off? That couldn't be that hard. I'm just afraid that one day if I actually need to make an emergency call that they won't answer because my number has been put on some black list or something haha.
Closed Thread