BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
exrazr

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Switch fromT-Mobile to AT&T to get 8300?

Please Login to Remove!

Since we now have the answer of a 90-day wait for the Curve to come out on T-Mo, my question is this; is it worth switching from T-Mo to AT&T to get the Curve?

As a former AT&T customer, I know their customer service is pitiful compared to T-Mo, and their plan prices are higher, but I was speaking to a T-Mo rep. today, and she claimed all things being equal, that AT&T multi-media programs are just plain better than T-Mo. Apparently T-Mo is going in another direction with their programming – something to do with expanding coverage, more business use, etc.

Bottom line, as a medium intensity email user, who simply wants to have contacts/calendar in hand, and would enjoy some cool multi-media features and a good web browser, aside from customer service and price, does AT&T really provide a better multi-media setup?

Thanks
Old 05-30-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

I left Nextel and came to AT&T and everything has been fine. Better coverage and zero dropped calls. As far as service, I have not needed any as all is working fine. What few changes I did have to make, I was able to do on the Internet. I suggest you set it up for account access, too.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

Im tired of switching everytime a device comes out I want. I just pay the full price and get it unlocked. What happens if tmobile releases the 9000? I switched to Cingular and the CS was so bad I went back to tmobile.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:05 PM   #4
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

My 2 cents is to stay with TMO and either get an unlocked 8300 or wait for TMO's 8300.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
abell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: "The New" AT&T\Old Cingular (previously had T-Mobile)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucejr View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

My 2 cents is to stay with TMO and either get an unlocked 8300 or wait for TMO's 8300.
I was seriously going to switch... TMO hasn't updated their family plans in forever and cingular's are the same and offer rollover so they're a better deal... then I looked at cingular's BB plans... wow... $60 a month to have email and be "allowed" to connect through your laptop?!?!? T-Mobile is $30 for the same thing... and I have 3 bb's on the account... ouch, no way...
Old 05-30-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
No Longer Registered.

I'm getting the TMO 8300 when it gets released. But first -- for now, I'm getting the AT&T 8300 when it comes out I open a new contract everytime I find a mobilephone that I like. That's why I have 1 Nextel, and 7 with Tmo. Anytime I want a new phone, I just upgrade whichever is not under contract to get a good device pricing.

To answer your question exrazr, as the saying goes, "form follows function". With your case, it'll be coverage first before device when it comes to mobile devices. Go with what you need more than what you want. Don't follow me, I go with what I want more than what I need

Last edited by No Longer Registered.; 05-30-2007 at 06:21 PM..

Old 05-30-2007, 06:15 PM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by exrazr View Post
Bottom line, as a medium intensity email user, who simply wants to have contacts/calendar in hand, and would enjoy some cool multi-media features and a good web browser, aside from customer service and price, does AT&T really provide a better multi-media setup?
Not as far as I know. The carrier's "multimedia setup" is pretty irrelevant in my experience but I never bother getting ringtones or anything else from my carrier (why bother if your device supports MP3 ringtones?).

Coverage should really be your top concern above all else (including device availability).

Last edited by takeshi; 05-30-2007 at 06:16 PM..
Old 05-30-2007, 09:58 PM   #8
exrazr

Thanks all for the feedback. Seems like staying with T-mo makes sense for a variety of reasons. Now the question is should I get the unlocked at&t phone or wait until the 8320 comes out. Is it worth the wait to get the gps and wi-fi features? As richard371 alludes to, you can never really win, because the new models with even more features (9000) are right around the corner.

As I don't change hardware very often, I know that whatever I pick I will wind up keeping for awhile, and just want to get the most useful model and service that will last at least 1-3 years.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:25 PM   #9
BB4Life
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

Quote:
Thanks all for the feedback. Seems like staying with T-mo makes sense for a variety of reasons. Now the question is should I get the unlocked at&t phone or wait until the 8320 comes out. Is it worth the wait to get the gps and wi-fi features? As richard371 alludes to, you can never really win, because the new models with even more features (9000) are right around the corner.

As I don't change hardware very often, I know that whatever I pick I will wind up keeping for awhile, and just want to get the most useful model and service that will last at least 1-3 years.
just wait until Tmobile's 8300...it will be packed with goodies ...you'll regret it if you're switching services just for one phone...i do have cingular, i have no problems with it, but switching for one specific device isn't really worth it...trust me, T-Mobile will have the better 8300...you can count on it 200% and you can even quote me on this when it comes out later...
Old 05-31-2007, 02:37 AM   #10
SoCal Cingular
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

I would jump ship not only for the phone, but the service is way better!
Old 05-31-2007, 07:43 AM   #11
rustypixel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

I might have missed it since I just browse this board from time to time, but has it been announced that T-Mo will in fact be getting thier version of the Curve in 90 (ish) days? I'm with Verizon with my Treo and have been seriously looking at a BB and the Curve caught my eye the second I saw it. Also, I don't mind waiting (I have to find a way to get out of a 2 year contract with VZW (only 5 months in) so I can go with the Curve on T-Mo, but now I'm reading that the T-Mo Curve will have some other goodies that the AT&T Curve doesn't. Is this accurate?

Thanks.

Quote:
Since we now have the answer of a 90-day wait for the Curve to come out on T-Mo, my question is this; is it worth switching from T-Mo to AT&T to get the Curve?

As a former AT&T customer, I know their customer service is pitiful compared to T-Mo, and their plan prices are higher, but I was speaking to a T-Mo rep. today, and she claimed all things being equal, that AT&T multi-media programs are just plain better than T-Mo. Apparently T-Mo is going in another direction with their programming – something to do with expanding coverage, more business use, etc.

Thanks

Out of my mind and out of control!
Old 05-31-2007, 11:43 AM   #12
ARHYTHMATIK
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none

Yeah- I think that's why ATT is insisting on getting all these data devices first. Their voice plans are pretty much the same, but the data charges are outrageous. Plus customer service isn't 24 hours like T-Mo. I think I'll stick with T-Mo with an unlocked Curve until the 8320 comes out- then get that one. But where has this been confirmed? It's all rumors at this point whether T-Mo is getting the 8320 with wifi (I don't doubt that too much though because of T-Mo's hotspot network) and GPS.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:21 PM   #13
Baggman

Model: 9800
PIN: 7-10 split
Carrier: AT&T Mobility

Quote:

Thanks

I'm thinking about the switch and have been for over a year due to better AT&T reception where I'm at (TX Hill Country). 90 day wait for the 8300 is a factor, though!
Old 06-29-2007, 12:41 AM   #14
Baggman

PIN: 7-10 split
Carrier: AT&T Mobility
Default The Ol' Switcheroo !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggman View Post
I'm thinking about the switch and have been for over a year due to better AT&T reception where I'm at (TX Hill Country). 90 day wait for the 8300 is a factor, though!

Made the switch yesterday - AT&T 8300 and ported over my T-Mobile number.

Wasn't mad at T-Mob. I live on the fringe of an urban area and the T-Mob signal was weak. 8300 played a little part in move. Love the phone so far!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jumping-ship.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	8509  
Old 06-30-2007, 03:38 AM   #15
JFBoard

Default yeah

I think it's all about the coverage, the wifi is a sweet feature, but I live in a city that my T Mo friends and roomates drop calls in all the time, my roomate doesn't get service in my apartment and my dad had T mo and had to be near a window in his house, I LIVE IN ATLANTA a huge city to. So it's all about who's coverage is better in your area. Wifi will be sweet though, you know you can use wifi for your phonecalls in a wifi area, thats pretty sweet. Good luck! PS ATT's cust service doesn't suck, their online forum admins know the deal a lot better than their phone people.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:07 AM   #16
Mako5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T via Bluefish

So I just did the switch from TMO yesterday and heres what I've learned so far.
1. Most amazingly, coverage so far is quite i bit better both at my house and along my drive to/from work. I live in CT so lots of dead areas for all GSM carriers.
2. I travel a lot globally and compared to TMO, AT&T's International plan really bites it.. With TMO I just call and tell them I need to use it outside the US and boom, done. With AT&T, I have to pay an additional $70/mo! Not to mention exorbitant roaming charges. That is crazy especially for a coprorate plan.
3. TMO is cheaper per minute.

I do love the Curve though ;\
Old 06-30-2007, 07:32 AM   #17
sdetweil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako5 View Post
2. I travel a lot globally and compared to TMO, AT&T's International plan really bites it.. With TMO I just call and tell them I need to use it outside the US and boom, done. With AT&T, I have to pay an additional $70/mo! Not to mention exorbitant roaming charges. That is crazy especially for a coprorate plan.
Hm.. the unlimited BB data plan is 49.99 and the International unlimited is 69.99.. thats $20/mon dif.. just did the switch for the second time in 6 months without problem.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #18
Mako5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T via Bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
Hm.. the unlimited BB data plan is 49.99 and the International unlimited is 69.99.. thats $20/mon dif.. just did the switch for the second time in 6 months without problem.
What do you mean? Are you saying it may make sense for me to switch to the International plan and that covers unlimited BB data already?
Old 06-30-2007, 10:12 AM   #19
wayneholbrook

Model: 9000
PIN: 20D214AB

T-Mobile is much cheaper plan to use your blackberries
Old 06-30-2007, 10:40 AM   #20
vandal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Quote:

Thanks
for me, i switched from t mobile to at&t because of cost. I was with tmobile for more than 3 years and I thought about settling for the 8800 and I asked what kind of upgrade they could give for being a loyal customer...they said they could give me the 8800 for $300.

I looked on amazon for the curve and it was $100 (then $50 a week later) with a 2 year contract. Thats why i switched. The one thing i give tmobile is that the international plans are GREAT. AT&T does poorly in that catagory.
Closed Thread