BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 07:29 PM   #1
supercrackberry

Default Forced to give up on BB - Can't install Desktop

Please Login to Remove!

I received my much anticipated BB7100 from Venicom yesterday, and immediately had the low volume issues (while handheld and when using headset.). That led to installing BB desktop which is required in any case.

I cannot install the BB desktop after many attempts and several fixes.
T-mo tech support sent me to RIM, who gave up after applying one simple fix. I've worked in software QA, and we had ways to escalate customers we considered important. Developers would duplicate the customer's issue and write a fix. Not so at RIM. I did a search here and found a few posts with similar issues but no applicable fix.
BB Desktop condensed history. There were 2 items to install; BB_Handheld_7100t installed fine. Item 2, 050214-TMUS-40033dt-en.exe was also required and has never installed.
i. Attempted to install off CD, failed near the end with a Windows Script error. T-mo had me download the above file off their site, no fix.
ii. T-mo tech escalated to RIM. This was a known issue in the RIM KB, so we installed a new MS script engine via scripten.exe.
iii. We then receieved an error "1607 Unable to install Installshield runtime"
iv. Recreated a new Temp directory and set the user environment vars to point to it. No change. Tried 40033dt-en.exe off the RIM site. Nada.
v. RIM tech throws up hands, says that's all they can do.

Having worked on the tech support desk myself some years back I do have some idea of what issues can be resolved and what not. This isn't a tough one for developers to tackle. My system is a standard image in good shape: a recent model Thinkpad which I reimaged in December. I have no games, file "sharing" programs, spyware or registry tweaks on it.

I'd like to keep the BB, but I have limited time for fixing broken gadgets+their flakey software. Ironically that's what drove me to the BB7100; I actually wanted a Treo but it's less reliable and there's too much overhead with workarounds, patches + fixes plus swapping hardware if you get a bad example. Hmn,,, my next smart communicator may be
2 tin cans and some flexible linear multifilament physical medium <<string>>

Does anyone know what causes this issue and if there is a fix? Sorry, wipe + re-image my HD on a system that's had no problem with many Installshield scripted installs is not an option.

thanks

Larry
Old 04-23-2005, 07:56 PM   #2
BB Junkie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercrackberry
I received my much anticipated BB7100 from Venicom yesterday, and immediately had the low volume issues (while handheld and when using headset.). That led to installing BB desktop which is required in any case.

I cannot install the BB desktop after many attempts and several fixes.
T-mo tech support sent me to RIM, who gave up after applying one simple fix. I've worked in software QA, and we had ways to escalate customers we considered important. Developers would duplicate the customer's issue and write a fix. Not so at RIM. I did a search here and found a few posts with similar issues but no applicable fix.
BB Desktop condensed history. There were 2 items to install; BB_Handheld_7100t installed fine. Item 2, 050214-TMUS-40033dt-en.exe was also required and has never installed.
i. Attempted to install off CD, failed near the end with a Windows Script error. T-mo had me download the above file off their site, no fix.
ii. T-mo tech escalated to RIM. This was a known issue in the RIM KB, so we installed a new MS script engine via scripten.exe.
iii. We then receieved an error "1607 Unable to install Installshield runtime"
iv. Recreated a new Temp directory and set the user environment vars to point to it. No change. Tried 40033dt-en.exe off the RIM site. Nada.
v. RIM tech throws up hands, says that's all they can do.

Having worked on the tech support desk myself some years back I do have some idea of what issues can be resolved and what not. This isn't a tough one for developers to tackle. My system is a standard image in good shape: a recent model Thinkpad which I reimaged in December. I have no games, file "sharing" programs, spyware or registry tweaks on it.

I'd like to keep the BB, but I have limited time for fixing broken gadgets+their flakey software. Ironically that's what drove me to the BB7100; I actually wanted a Treo but it's less reliable and there's too much overhead with workarounds, patches + fixes plus swapping hardware if you get a bad example. Hmn,,, my next smart communicator may be
2 tin cans and some flexible linear multifilament physical medium <<string>>

Does anyone know what causes this issue and if there is a fix? Sorry, wipe + re-image my HD on a system that's had no problem with many Installshield scripted installs is not an option.

thanks

Larry
Its your windows Issue. Reformat and reload windows then report back here.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:33 AM   #3
supercrackberry

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Junkie
Its your windows Issue. Reformat and reload windows then report back here.
Way back when I worked as a senior tech support rep that was our "Go To Hell" answer. IMHO, "Burn down the house and build a new one" is not an appropriate fix for a misaligned door.
I did a wipe and install in December and have had many InstallShield scripted softare installs before and since with no issues. The system runs without issues. There may well be a file, service, process, or reg entry etc BB relies on of which I have a different or even corrupted version and which causes no issues to any other app or process; RIM may rely on a rarely used bit of the Windows environment. They should know the dependencies in thier sw.x
It would be easy enough to run a debug build of the RIM software installer, which would generate a trace file allowing RIM developers to see what's broken. There seems to be a small but not insignificant number of people who've had issues with the BB PC software; I would expect a company offering a corporate class product would support it beyond a 1st level tech reading out of the KB then throwing up their hands. Every other organization I've worked in had support escalation.

Last edited by supercrackberry; 04-24-2005 at 02:43 AM..
Old 04-24-2005, 10:19 AM   #4
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Curve
Carrier: tmo

100's of 1000's of people install the desktop manager, if there really were some kind of broken install script we'd be hearing more about it. In this case I think it just has to be your PC that is messed up...

Quote:
Way back when I worked as a senior tech support rep that was our "Go To Hell" answer. IMHO, "Burn down the house and build a new one" is not an appropriate fix for a misaligned door.
I did a wipe and install in December and have had many InstallShield scripted softare installs before and since with no issues. The system runs without issues. There may well be a file, service, process, or reg entry etc BB relies on of which I have a different or even corrupted version and which causes no issues to any other app or process; RIM may rely on a rarely used bit of the Windows environment. They should know the dependencies in thier sw.x
It would be easy enough to run a debug build of the RIM software installer, which would generate a trace file allowing RIM developers to see what's broken. There seems to be a small but not insignificant number of people who've had issues with the BB PC software; I would expect a company offering a corporate class product would support it beyond a 1st level tech reading out of the KB then throwing up their hands. Every other organization I've worked in had support escalation.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:23 AM   #5
harleyxlc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
Carrier: T-Mobile

Things I would try (which you may have tried already) and I am assuming those filesd are the latest versions.

Reboot PC.
Uninstall desktop mgr, really, following the instructions on RIM's page about removing folders and itesm from the registry.
Reboot again.
Hard reset 7100 just for fun

If you still get an error, can you post the full error message and exactly where in the process it appears?
Old 04-24-2005, 02:52 PM   #6
authentication_key
Thumbs Must Hurt

I would call back and have TMO send you back to RIM. I feel that the tech you spoke to didnt really want to deal with the issue.

When you call in dont blow you stack, just be calm, im sure youll get better service! (not accousing you of doing that the first time)
Old 04-24-2005, 10:05 PM   #7
supercrackberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentication_key
I would call back and have TMO send you back to RIM. I feel that the tech you spoke to didnt really want to deal with the issue.

When you call in dont blow you stack, just be calm, im sure youll get better service! (not accousing you of doing that the first time)
Yup, phone techs do get a lot of pressure and it helps to treat them decently.

It's been 2 hrs on hold (2 separate calls) and no T-mo tech. Tried during and outside regular hours, same deal.
There is probably some file, variable, or registry entry on this machine that's preventing the install. Could be corruption or simply another bit of software that creates something incompatible with BB desktop. It seems to uniquely affect the BB software - everything else installs, reinstalls and runs fine.

It turns out that this is a known issue; RIM has a KB article on it as does InstallShield. Excerpt below. Note the cause: "We don't know". The RIM tech that I was able to reach simply read from the BB KB article, got to the bottom, then said "I dunno what to do". Prior to reciting that KB, she used Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP as a fix for another problem, not bothering to explain what it is or does. Not a trivial ommision: That installs WSH, which is a glaring security risk. In 30 seconds I found 4 respected sources reccomend that WSH be removed or disabled from a typical home user's machine - you rarely hear advice that severe from them, they usually suggest that one should update one's AV, use a firewall, etc. Funny that a tech who works there 8 hours per day can't seem to find 30 seconds learn that. < I didn't tell the tech that >
Seems like it would be a great device... if the desktop sw and volume issues could be resolved.

From the BB KB:

Support - Error 1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime
Last Updated: 18 April 2005
Article Number: KB-02797
Summary

This article applies to the following:

* BlackBerry® Desktop Manager
* BlackBerry Wireless Handheld™
* Microsoft® Windows®

Problem

You receive the following error when installing the desktop manager.
Error 1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime
Cause

No cause has been identified for this issue.

........ ( details removed for brevity )

Additional Information

See the InstallShield® Knowledge Base Article: Q107094, “ERRDOC: Run-time Error 1607.”

If you check on the InstallShield site, you get
Your search - Q107094 - did not match any documents.
No pages were found containing "Q107094".

Last edited by supercrackberry; 04-24-2005 at 10:09 PM..
Old 04-24-2005, 10:18 PM   #8
BB Junkie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Talking

try again when this current issue you are having to be resolved (maybe days, weeks, or years.)

Good Luck
Old 04-24-2005, 10:51 PM   #9
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

Have you tried an older version of DM?

I would try to install a 3.6 version of DM and see if that works. If it goes through ok, then try the upgrade process instead of a fresh install. Maybe that will bypass whatever it is in the script that is fouling things up.

If not, you still have 3.6 to work with.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:28 PM   #10
supercrackberry

Solved.

Via Fedex.

After the last post I had occasion to open a Word doc.. and got an error that it could not be registered. I've never had registry issues etc on my Thinkpads, and since this is now my only machine I tolerate no flakyness on it. Chasing that uncovered that the Windows Installer service was hosed, apparantly by either the BB desktop 4 or by RIM support's "fix".
Found the err in MS KB, un/re-registered the installer and read the rest of that article... essentially stating that if reregistering doesn't work then boy are you hosed. Reregistering msiexec.exe didn't do it.
Like I said, I keep a clean system and have never had issues remotely like that. This was more like the customer machines I straightened out (or pronounced dead) years back.
Last chance, MS's unreliable System Restore.
It worked, this time.

The BB is going on the next Fedex back, and sw to make disk images + sheduled file backups is Fedexing in. I really wanted to like this thing; it seems most people love their 7100s. But if a product or it's support waste my time or hose my work environment, it's history. Buh-bye, BB.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:31 AM   #11
EdmondT
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I had a similar problem with my BB7250. Verizion help led me to the Microsoft weg page, where I had to download a small program for Windows. Fixed the issue.

Still have a big problem with Desktop Manager though. Not a good program. People all over this site talk about problems with it.

EdmondT
Old 04-26-2005, 11:44 AM   #12
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

And there are over one million BB users. If you have a PC/Windows problem, fix it.
Enough.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:55 PM   #13
aristobrat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
We've had this problem on about 2 or 3 of the 50+ boxes we've put Desktop Manager on.

In trying to isolate the issue further (on those "broken" machines), we found other InstallShield packages that wouldn't install on them either, so the problem was NOT unique to Desktop Manager.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:50 AM   #14
Aikidoka
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat
We've had this problem on about 2 or 3 of the 50+ boxes we've put Desktop Manager on.

In trying to isolate the issue further (on those "broken" machines), we found other InstallShield packages that wouldn't install on them either, so the problem was NOT unique to Desktop Manager.
I have had this issue also. Usually it happened around trying to install .NET 1.1. After a lot of uninstalling, reinstalling of .NET versions and I think a forced reinstall of Windows Installer 3.0 I was able to get it resolved.

I also had the scripting error mentioned above and installing that Windows Scripting update worked for me. That only started with version 4.0 of the Desktop Software.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:01 PM   #15
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I have been able to install the Desktop software just fine, I just cant get it to let me put outlook as the source for my calendar and such. it says to browse for the file but wont let me browse for it. I have the same DM installed onmy home pc this is for my work laptop.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:43 PM   #16
theblackphone

Model: 7520

I had similar problems with DM, but after hours of pointing and clicking, I somehow got DM to work, now OS 4 is another problem. I was getting the 1607, but after doing EVERYTHING (except system restore) Installshield, Microsoft, RIM, and Sony support told me to, OS 4 Installshield just hangs. Is there any other way to get OS 4? Do I need to install it on my computer first, or can I just get it unpacked and ready to go? I just got my 7520 and would like to use the browser.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:47 PM   #17
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

How long did it hang I thought mine would never go through then all the sudden boom it went and no issues
Old 05-05-2005, 06:22 PM   #18
theblackphone

Model: 7520

I gave up after twenty minutes.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:38 PM   #19
OrcP

Model: 7780

For those that didn't know:

If you go to http://consumer.installshield.com, which is install shields website for consumers, there is a handy link RIGHT ON THE FRONT PAGE for error 1607. Not a BB error, this is an install shield error.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:00 AM   #20
pattyjo

Model: 7290
Unhappy Windows Installer is interrupted before Desktop Software installed

I seem to be having a similar problem. I just got a 7290 and tried installing the software from the CD but everytime I get an Installshield Wizard message saying that the Installer was interrupted and the Wizard will close and that the Desktop Software was not installed. So far:

1) I've turned off my Norton Antivirus.
2) I've gone to Installshield site and deleted my 07 01 folder and reinstalled that, as well as installed the 0900 folder. Actually it was very confusing because it says to check which file version the setup file uses before updating Installshield but the Desktop Software has 2 setup files, one is 9.0.33 and other is 4.0 file version.
3) checked pages and pages of the forum for similar problems
4) called my service provider (3 in Hong Kong) whose lines are busy and will call me back 'within 24 hours'

At this point I am very annoyed and am wondering if my computer can even support the sofware. On the website it says I should have an email account running on MS Exchange server which I'm not sure is the case. But it seems to be some incompatibility b/w the Desktop Software and Installshield which is the problem.

HELP anyone, thanks!
Closed Thread