Old 06-07-2007, 09:15 AM   #22
Blackberryer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
Verizon will most likely not have a Curve like device until the Fall or Holiday season! I'm pretty sure they'll release a Blackberry with a camera before the year is up! But, who knows what series Blackberry it'll be? Probably the newer version of the Pearl
that's been talked about or something like the Curve! As usual we'll just have to wait and see! I must say, there really missing the Blackberry boat !
According to most rumors, Verizon will be releasing a Pearl. I would assume that means the Curve is at least a year away from the lineup - no sense in releasing two consumer BlackBerrys so close to each other. Of course, it may not release for Verizon at all.

I don't understand why the carriers can't be up front about which devices they'll be releasing. If I knew for a fact VZW was getting a Curve or something like it in a year, I'd probably hold out and wait. Although the cheaper data package with ATT does interest me. ;)

Last edited by Blackberryer; 06-07-2007 at 09:16 AM..
Old 06-07-2007, 11:21 AM   #23
husef9926
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Well, as people have pointed out already – you shouldn’t switch carriers just because of the phone selection alone. A carrier’s coverage availability should be your first priority. A phone without service or in this case, a blackberry without service, is just an expensive paperweight.

My general experience with AT&T has been great and I recommend them to everyone. They have roll over, overseas coverage, great customer service, and excellent coverage where I use them. I have a FAN attached to my account so I don’t know if I’m routed to a different customer service call center as opposed to the standard consumer CS department. In addition to that, I love their phone selections. It seems they get the latest and greatest before the other carriers.

I switched from Verizon to AT&T and I haven’t looked back. Sure, a lot of my friends are on the Verizon network but I have more cons than pros with Verizon. The biggest thing that drove me away from Verizon was that they couldn’t provide service in my house. The signal was weak in and around my neighborhood and immediate streets. I’ve been told they were going to add towers real soon – that was 2.5 years ago. I’d had it.

The best thing to do is to try AT&T out for 30 days and then make your decision at that time.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #24
b3n_asian_freak

Model: 9700
PIN: It changes so often....
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by husef9926 View Post
Well, as people have pointed out already – you shouldn’t switch carriers just because of the phone selection alone. A carrier’s coverage availability should be your first priority. A phone without service or in this case, a blackberry without service, is just an expensive paperweight.

My general experience with AT&T has been great and I recommend them to everyone. They have roll over, overseas coverage, great customer service, and excellent coverage where I use them. I have a FAN attached to my account so I don’t know if I’m routed to a different customer service call center as opposed to the standard consumer CS department. In addition to that, I love their phone selections. It seems they get the latest and greatest before the other carriers.

I switched from Verizon to AT&T and I haven’t looked back. Sure, a lot of my friends are on the Verizon network but I have more cons than pros with Verizon. The biggest thing that drove me away from Verizon was that they couldn’t provide service in my house. The signal was weak in and around my neighborhood and immediate streets. I’ve been told they were going to add towers real soon – that was 2.5 years ago. I’d had it.

The best thing to do is to try AT&T out for 30 days and then make your decision at that time.
Quick question, if you decide to cancel the service within 30 days, would you have to return the phone in order to get the money also?
Old 06-07-2007, 11:56 AM   #25
whoscalling

Model: 9550

uh, yea. I am assuming you didn't pay full retail for the phone. If you paid full retail the phone is yours, if you paid a contract price for the phone, give it back.

I have done this many, many, many times. Also if you hate it quickly and make the return within the first 10 days you pay nothing. After 10 days you pay activation fees and pro rated usage.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:57 AM   #26
Blackberryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3n_asian_freak View Post
Quick question, if you decide to cancel the service within 30 days, would you have to return the phone in order to get the money also?
Yes, you'd have to return the phone. You're purchasing the phone at a discounted rate in exchange for signing up for two years. If you elected to keep the phone, you'd have to pay the full retail cost of it.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:33 PM   #27
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberryer View Post
Yes, you'd have to return the phone. You're purchasing the phone at a discounted rate in exchange for signing up for two years. If you elected to keep the phone, you'd have to pay the full retail cost of it.
LOL what if you decided to just keep it? are they personally gonna go to your house and take it from you?

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 06-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #28
Blackberryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash24 View Post
LOL what if you decided to just keep it? are they personally gonna go to your house and take it from you?
No, they just keep sending you statements and then eventually farm it out to a collection agency.

Also, there's a term for what you're suggesting, it's called "stealing".
Old 06-07-2007, 01:22 PM   #29
Davesnothere

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

I have had wonderful support from Cingular. They took off $121 roaming international charge from my bill because I told them they screwed up. Gave me a $25 credit they forgot to apply when I bought my Pearl last week. They gave me an awesome deal on my Pearl, was supposed to pay $79.99 throught the premier site ( - $25 for buying online ) for upgrade, instead they offered to charged me $39.99 ( - $25 ) which is what they were charging for new activations. All this in one call, and no haggling.

Yes, I got my Pearl for $14.99
Old 06-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #30
gabatta

Model: 7130

I am contemplating the same switch due to my disapointment with the 8830 in particular, and Verizon's devices in general.

I tried Cingular about 18 months ago (with the Treo 650). My big beef was not customer service or coverage area. Call quality was why I stayed with Verizon. The quality was noticable better on Verizon. The calls on CIngular sounded much more hollow. I use my mobile as my primary phone (I have no home line) and thus need excellent call quality.

Was this poor quality related to the device (650), or just the GSM in general? Has it improved? Any insight is welcome...
Old 06-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #31
whoscalling

You have asked about a debate that has been going on for some time, and I feel will never be settled. My opinion is CDMA (VZW) is superior to GSM (ATT/CINGY), relating to call quality. I have service with both right now and have left voice mail messages to my work voicemail using each carrier from the exact same location. Night and day difference. I have done this probably 7 different times. Amazingly, even if the CDMA signal strength was lower at that particular call, it still sounded better. Finally, believe me when I say I am all for GSM- (Global ability, phones are more current, etc) but I am still waiting for it to sound as good as CDMA.

Last edited by whoscalling; 06-07-2007 at 03:28 PM..
Old 06-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #32
Blackberryer

I think as long as call quality isn't noticeably lower for me, I might wind up making the switch to ATT. I use my phone mostly for data/email/PIM, so while call quality is important it would have to be atrocious for it to be a deal breaker.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #33
whoscalling

Quote:
I think as long as call quality isn't noticeably lower for me, I might wind up making the switch to ATT. I use my phone mostly for data/email/PIM, so while call quality is important it would have to be atrocious for it to be a deal breaker.
Atrocious would be a good description sometimes.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:34 PM   #34
Blackberryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoscalling View Post
Atrocious would be a good description sometimes.
Well, no matter how much I fall in love with the Curve, if I'm dissatisfied with ATT's call quality I will send it back within a week and I won't look back. The only reason I'm even contemplating the switch is because folks I know swear by ATT's coverage/quality/service. I figure if it's simply a little worse than Verizon and I LOVE the phone, I'll stick with it. If it sucks, I'll just stick with my "brick" 8703 for the time being.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:37 PM   #35
whoscalling

Ditto. That's what I am doing
Old 06-07-2007, 03:42 PM   #36
Blackberryer

This brings up another question:

Are IMs treated like SMS messages on ATT? I remember reading that Tmobile does that. Verizon doesn't. (Also, is ATT's "unlimited" like Verizon's "unlimited" in that it's actually very limited?)
Old 06-08-2007, 09:34 AM   #37
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F

Quote:
This brings up another question:

Are IMs treated like SMS messages on ATT? I remember reading that Tmobile does that. Verizon doesn't. (Also, is ATT's "unlimited" like Verizon's "unlimited" in that it's actually very limited?)
Once I get my curve, I will transfer my USER LICENSE from my 8700g to my new baby.

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 06-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #38
dwmdc

Model: none
Default Data speeds?

I'm also considering the switch from Verizon to AT&T. For those who have done it, how significant is the drop-off in data speed in real terms,? I've gotten used to the zip of browsing on the VZW network...but would trade a marginal speed loss to get the 8300, which better suits my needs overall.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #39
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
I'm a long time Verizon customer, but I really want the Curve.
Whatever you do, don't commit to switching carriers until you've verified that the new carrier's coverage is sufficient for your needs. Every carrier offers a trial period and you need to make the most of it to determine their suitability for you. Don't rely on coverage maps. Don't rely on word of mouth (there are a lot of carrier fanboys out there, for one thing).

Quote:
Everything I've read suggests Verizon's never getting it, so I was thinking of changing carriers. I live in San Francisco, so my only concern is coverage and customer service.
I'd also say don't rely on forum speculation... Verizon won't get the Curve/8300 (it's GSM) but I haven't seen anything official indicating that they won't get a CDMA 83xx. The CDMA carriers are always slow to get new models so I wouldn't recommend jumping ship unless you really really want an 83xx NOW and find at&t to be suitable for you.

If customer service is a concern then by all means do NOT switch to at&t. They're notorious for inconsistent training with their CSR's and my experiences with my personal lines and with corporate support of our devices corroborates this (though it's still a YMMV matter). We spend a ridiculously disporportionate time calling in for our at&t devices and have much more trouble getting things resolved in a timely and efficient manner when the overwhelming majority of our devices are on TMO (about 80/20). We waste a lot of time with at&t CSR's that don't know what they're doing, or will argue with us that an issue isn't on their end (and they always turn out to be because we don't call until we've delved into the matter first), or in cases where provisioning has changed for no good reason (maybe due to integration work behind the scenes). I can't say that we've had anywhere near the same problems dealing with TMO. Again, YMMV and this is just anecdotal evidence.

Quote:
Regardless of network, whether IM's are SMS or not depend on the IM app you're using. A given IM app could use either method for message delivery. It's not a network-specific issue.

at&t's is not limited that I'm aware of.

Last edited by takeshi; 06-08-2007 at 11:39 AM..
Old 06-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #40
Blackberryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Whatever you do, don't commit to switching carriers until you've verified that the new carrier's coverage is sufficient for your needs. Every carrier offers a trial period and you need to make the most of it to determine their suitability for you. Don't rely on coverage maps. Don't rely on word of mouth (there are a lot of carrier fanboys out there, for one thing).

I'd also say don't rely on forum speculation... Verizon won't get the Curve/8300 (it's GSM) but I haven't seen anything official indicating that they won't get a CDMA 83xx. The CDMA carriers are always slow to get new models so I wouldn't recommend jumping ship unless you really really want an 83xx NOW and find at&t to be suitable for you.

If customer service is a concern then by all means do NOT switch to at&t. They're notorious for inconsistent training with their CSR's and my experiences with my personal lines and with corporate support of our devices corroborates this (though it's still a YMMV matter). We spend a ridiculously disporportionate time calling in for our at&t devices and have much more trouble getting things resolved in a timely and efficient manner when the overwhelming majority of our devices are on TMO (about 80/20). We waste a lot of time with at&t CSR's that don't know what they're doing, or will argue with us that an issue isn't on their end (and they always turn out to be because we don't call until we've delved into the matter first), or in cases where provisioning has changed for no good reason (maybe due to integration work behind the scenes). I can't say that we've had anywhere near the same problems dealing with TMO. Again, YMMV and this is just anecdotal evidence.

Regardless of network, whether IM's are SMS or not depend on the IM app you're using. A given IM app could use either method for message delivery. It's not a network-specific issue.

at&t's is not limited that I'm aware of.
Wow! Thank you very much for such an in-depth response. I appreciate the time and effort.

My Curve is supposed to arrive today and I intend to thoroughly test ATT's service over the next couple of weeks.
Closed Thread