BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Were you able to use the application successfully?
Yes 305 86.65%
No 47 13.35%
Voters: 352. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #1501
IanHummel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Best IM program to date, amazing! Great job!
Old 05-24-2007, 12:57 PM   #1502
MyPearl

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyububba View Post
Hmm... OTA shouldn't overwrite your data. If there was a bad install, it's possible that the OS app manager had already deleted the old version.
I am pretty sure the desktop mgr did not delete it. It was running on the BB and then it failed after the first OTA and then did the second OTA to ovewrite it and it deleted all my data and settings.

It would be nice to have a way to back up the data. Maybe have an export/import feature to save the settings and the chat history (etc..) to the media card when requested.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #1503
MyPearl

Default A few additional bug reports

K,

1) Last night (actually this moring 12:30 AM or so), I was working on JT and was adding a new AIM account and then got a message that I must have a valid key (key mismatch). I tried to reregister with no luck. It just would not take my ket. I trie to delete (wipe) the key so that i can aquire a new one but it would not wipe it. I did an OTA to overwrite it, did a reboot and still the same issue. I had to go to the Advanced settings on the BB and remove all modules. Rebooted and did an OTA and started from scratch with an aquisition of a new license. Not sure what happened there.

PS Again i lost all my settings

2) I have been noticing this for a while. I have 5 acoxxxxs (MSN, AIM, Yahoo, ICQ and Gtalk). I keep them on all the time. After a long idle (say overnight), and when i try to change the global status to say Busy, all of them change except the MSN. The colored icon to the left of my MSN account does not change whereas all the others do. If i log out and log back on MSN and now change status, all works ok. hope i am making sense.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2007, 01:20 PM   #1504
soesraider
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPearl View Post
I am pretty sure the desktop mgr did not delete it. It was running on the BB and then it failed after the first OTA and then did the second OTA to ovewrite it and it deleted all my data and settings.

It would be nice to have a way to back up the data. Maybe have an export/import feature to save the settings and the chat history (etc..) to the media card when requested.
This was my experience when I did the update as well, Kyabubba. Just fyi for your troubleshooting. I didn't use Desktop Mgr at all, it was all OTA.

SR
Old 05-24-2007, 04:18 PM   #1505
bbbforums
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

Just updated from 0.91 to 0.92 on my VZW 8703e

After the phone restart, I started JiveTalk.

It started up, I checked allow all http connctions, and then it continued with the auto login. I then got a popup box that jsut said "null" and and OK box.

I clicked OK and the program started but I wasn't logged in.

I clicked the wheel and did log in all and then got the sockets allow promt.

After that I did get logged in.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:54 PM   #1506
jtdarden

Model: 8xxx
PIN: member2393
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

Wirelessly posted (8703e Sprint: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I like the new splash screen and new features.

I uninstalled the old version fisrt the downloaded .92. Lost all my settings. Could I have just installed the new version ontop of the old?

Thanks for my new favorite app. When you figure out pricing, I will buy the full version (as long as you take PayPal ).

Cheers
Old 05-24-2007, 11:11 PM   #1507
kyububba

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPearl View Post

Sorry, I didn't mean the desktop manager but app loader on the BlackBerry itself.

As for backups, we're adding a chat log dump feature that will allow you to save history, likely to a SD card if available. The safest way for you to do a backup, however, is to use your desktop manager and backup the device. It's pretty quick and you're generally guaranteed to be able to get back to a good state. I would recommend doing this regularly anyway, especially if you're on BIS and your PIM data doesn't sync OTA, as it will save your data for all your applications.

Not trying to say that we don't want solve the problem here, just that whatever solution we come up with here will not be as foul-proof as the backup capabilities you already have with the desktop manager.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:14 PM   #1508
kyububba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdarden View Post
Wirelessly posted (8703e Sprint: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I like the new splash screen and new features.

I uninstalled the old version fisrt the downloaded .92. Lost all my settings. Could I have just installed the new version ontop of the old?

Thanks for my new favorite app. When you figure out pricing, I will buy the full version (as long as you take PayPal ).

Cheers
Yes, you can always install over the existing version and it'll retain all your data. As mentioned in the previous post, it's a good idea to do regular backups in case you run into problems. Except for the cases mentioned above for the last builds, OTA upgrade problems are rare.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:56 AM   #1509
jarodl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

What is the splash screen?

Is there anyway to see someones profile when they are away (AIM)?
Old 05-25-2007, 10:33 AM   #1510
morrow95

Model: 8900
Carrier: tmobile

Any plans to add MySpace IM to future releases?
Old 05-25-2007, 12:14 PM   #1511
MyPearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyububba View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean the desktop manager but app loader on the BlackBerry itself.

As for backups, we're adding a chat log dump feature that will allow you to save history, likely to a SD card if available. The safest way for you to do a backup, however, is to use your desktop manager and backup the device. It's pretty quick and you're generally guaranteed to be able to get back to a good state. I would recommend doing this regularly anyway, especially if you're on BIS and your PIM data doesn't sync OTA, as it will save your data for all your applications.

Not trying to say that we don't want solve the problem here, just that whatever solution we come up with here will not be as foul-proof as the backup capabilities you already have with the desktop manager.

K, let me make sure i understand what you are saying here. If before i upgrade to say 0.9.3 (next version), i do a full device backup (which i do on a montly basis), upgrade to 0.9.3 and say i loose all my settings (account info, custom messages, ...), then restor the backup, the setting will be recovered to 0.9.3?

PS, I like the SD card idea. Acutally, maybe you should have an option to save the chat log by default on the SD card which can be backed up (drag and drop to a PC). And this way, it would not be lost in an upgrade and if it is, you can just drag back the folder and access all your chat history. Also, another advanatge is that it the chat log feature does not comnsume any device memory. Take this idea a step furthe, why not save the setting file there too (like a .setting file or something).. All could be place in a \JT folder.

I hope you consider my request and note that this just a request
Old 05-25-2007, 12:37 PM   #1512
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: NO One

When I upgraded from 0.91 to 0.92, I did not do any backup. I accessed the upgrade page and I downloaded the application. None of my chat history was removed. All of my IM configuration setup remains.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:27 PM   #1513
BB4Life

Model: 9000

thanks for making JT the best Multi IM client there is for the blackberry handheld device...just months ago, i was totally sold on other Multi IM clients and thought that no one could come close, but JT definitely has surpassed my expectations and I guess I could speak for others too who may agree...keep up the great work and good luck with everything!
Old 05-26-2007, 02:22 AM   #1514
pengrus

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Same here. I had license issue and sent an email to support. They responded to my email in 3 minutes, and get me up and running again in 5 minutes. I am very impressed. And I love their interface and the color.

I've used the Google Talk before using transporter, and it loses connections all the time, but with this, it seems they are always connected.

The only concern that I have and like to hear from developer is, how much and how fast it drains the battery....
Old 05-26-2007, 02:22 AM   #1515
retepnikrap
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
Carrier: vodafone
Default Jive Talk - Data Usage Question

Hope you can help, going to mainland Europe from the uk tomorrow and my Jive Talk instant messenger is going to be used extensively.

The billing for data when in europe is £10 per MB billed in 10kb increments. In other words 1kb = 10kb, 7kb = 10kb, 13kb = 20kb etc. My question is how much data does jive talk use when it polls and how often? If it polls every minute or second and uses as little as 1kb it will over a week of constant use cost me a fortune.
If data is only used when a message comes in or goes out then I have no problem, anyone know? Please don't guess or it could be expensive for me.

thanks
Old 05-26-2007, 02:47 AM   #1516
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F

jivetalk has an awesome customer support... kudos.

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 05-26-2007, 05:02 AM   #1517
CableGuy711

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

love the new emoticons.....and also thanks so much for fixing the html stripping of certian symbols.... you guys rock! I'm def referring all my bb friends to jivetalk!
Old 05-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #1518
don.new

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

I hope you can add Skype chat, the BlackBerry version from IM+ has a million problems.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:20 AM   #1519
kyububba

Quote:
Originally Posted by retepnikrap View Post
Hope you can help, going to mainland Europe from the uk tomorrow and my Jive Talk instant messenger is going to be used extensively.

The billing for data when in europe is £10 per MB billed in 10kb increments. In other words 1kb = 10kb, 7kb = 10kb, 13kb = 20kb etc. My question is how much data does jive talk use when it polls and how often? If it polls every minute or second and uses as little as 1kb it will over a week of constant use cost me a fortune.
If data is only used when a message comes in or goes out then I have no problem, anyone know? Please don't guess or it could be expensive for me.

thanks
We poll every 2 minutes, but buddy list updates are pushed instantaneously, so that could take quite a bit of data.

There is a data counter inside the app itself. Go to view log and select "Bandwidth Usage" and it'll dump the amount of data used for the session. Session being the entire time the program being on (logged on or off).

10 pounds a Mb is A LOT to pay for data!! It's highway robbery!!
Old 05-26-2007, 10:43 PM   #1520
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S2

I was looking on beejive.com - I saw the different type of chats and there is 'bubbles' but dont see that on the options with my BB. Is this going to be in the next version or OS specific?

beejive :: JiveTalk mobile messaging
Closed Thread