Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 04:36 AM   #1
OrganicBerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon
Default What's wrong with Verizon?

Please Login to Remove!

OK....I've been a BB user for a few months now (fought my company for a year against getting it....now I sleep with it under my pillow)......and I've been a fairly regular reader of this and other forums......

BUT....

The one thing I can't figure out is why Verizon gets such a bad rap? I've got Verizon service (had it before the company plan on a personal phone as well) for my 8703e and it works just fine for me. I've never had any problems syncing, email, the phone service is great......

OK...I'd LOVE to get 4.2 already....but that's not really a complaint.....

So, I ask....what are some of the specifics as to why everyone seems to knock verizon? I'm just curious.

(I'm in marketing, it's my curse that I need to understand why people do what they do
Old 05-24-2007, 05:17 AM   #2
packetknife
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830

- Probably the biggest complaint is lack of newer devices in a timely fashion. This doesn't just curse Verizon but all CDMA vendors and Verizon seems to get the brunt of it.

- The fact they lock certain features that other carriers don't. Say MMS and GPS.

- And their software posts always seem well out of date.

-Pk
Old 05-24-2007, 05:41 AM   #3
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

coming from nextel I cant knock Verizon at all. I find their customer service reps very knowledgable and curtious. My wife always leaves the rooms when i call any CSR becuase i usually call all of them idiots because they wont or cant do what i know can be done.

I have not had that issue with VZW at all I have not raised my blood pressure one time. so I am a very satisfied customer.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:09 AM   #4
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I was a long time Verizon Wireless custom but the problem I always had with them was untimely firmware updates and always behind in handset. Everything else is great.

We had a bunch of VZW BlackBerry and they were horrible. They were always the last one to release new BlackBerry handheld software if they release them at all. For me as a BlackBerry admin with 700+ BlackBerries the software update is important because it determine my capabilities on those devices.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:49 AM   #5
zero7404

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

I agree,

when comparing Verizon to the other big players, it falls behind in technology and timeliness of updates/etc.

for a short time of about 5 months, i switched to Verizon to be with my Fiance's plan, so that we can combine the numbers to a family plan. well the switch happened, but the request to combine the numbers under one plan went in one ear and out the other.....

i also noticed after some time that most of thier non-smartphone handsets (which i was using at the time) all had the same crappy and dull interface. it brought up a question: why would someone chose a more expensive phone over a cheaper one if all of them are running the same handicapping software ? there was essentially no point in buying the best Nokia or Moto because thier unique qualities get defeated by Verizon for your enjoyment (or lack thereof).

I also noticed that I was paying on average about $ 25-30 more monthly for service that equaled what I had with T-Mobile before. In addition to that because Verizon's plans were different than T-Mobile/Cingular/AT&T, they charged calls in a different manner. And wouldn't you know it, the same amount of airtime to numbers that would typically cost me $ 90 on T-Mobile (in one month) was actually getting cranked out as $ 300+ to my surprise.

although they are very good and understanding with customer service and want to eagerly help people, i won't go back. and the reason why is with T-Mobile I had the freedom to go grab the latest technology phones from Europe/Asia that had a wealth of features, and i could configure them myself and do neat tricks i probably have to wait 2 years to see similar technology from Verizon.

besides, CDMA is not a world standard, and that should tell you something right there.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Most of these repeat what others have already said, but for me (and YMMV):

1. They're CDMA. I can't change devices at whim without interacting with a CSR like I can on GSM carriers.

2. They're CDMA and they don't get the latest Blackberries first. Up until the 8830, CDMA carriers were typically 6 months to a year behind their GSM counterparts.

3. They cripple devices. Ask any 8703e or 8830 owner about how great that built-in GPS is... ;) It's not just limited to Blackberries. They're notorious for this as they do this to many of the devices that they offer.

Normally, I choose my carrier based primarily on coverage but I personally exclude Verizon from my selection process for those reasons. Obviously, some or all of those reasons may not matter to others.

Last edited by takeshi; 05-24-2007 at 08:42 AM..
Old 05-24-2007, 01:27 PM   #7
zero7404

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
3. They cripple devices.

that's what i was trying to say, but said it in 3 paragraphs....
i need to brush up on my vocabulary damn it....
Old 05-24-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
Dawg
No longer Registered.

see the fact that they are cdma doesnt bother me one bit I have great coverage I am not missing anything I cant live with out anyway. I would much rather have a great network and a reliable device than being able to switch devices at a whim. I have been with them since January and I am on my 5th phone by my choice just trying to decide what i want and havent had one issue switching any of them on line. Only time I had to call CSR was when i went to a BB
Old 05-24-2007, 06:36 PM   #9
zero7404

you need to give in to the light side (GSM).....

because when u give in to the dark side (CDMA)....then you've sucessfully added another statistic to a decomposing technology....

there's a reason why the majority of the world chose to build on GSM
Old 05-24-2007, 07:39 PM   #10
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakman74 View Post
you need to give in to the light side (GSM).....

because when u give in to the dark side (CDMA)....then you've sucessfully added another statistic to a decomposing technology....

there's a reason why the majority of the world chose to build on GSM
Lets see I has GSM (cingular)and had zero service in 60% of the areas I was in so what good is GSM if it doesnt work?

I never said GSM was bad in any way it just doesnt work for me. So with that said how is it the dark side when verizon actually owns the most shares in the US which ny the way is the only place I ever go so I could care less what the world does.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:57 PM   #11
nuopus
No longer Registered.

Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicBerry View Post
OK....I've been a BB user for a few months now (fought my company for a year against getting it....now I sleep with it under my pillow)......and I've been a fairly regular reader of this and other forums......

BUT....

The one thing I can't figure out is why Verizon gets such a bad rap? I've got Verizon service (had it before the company plan on a personal phone as well) for my 8703e and it works just fine for me. I've never had any problems syncing, email, the phone service is great......

OK...I'd LOVE to get 4.2 already....but that's not really a complaint.....

So, I ask....what are some of the specifics as to why everyone seems to knock verizon? I'm just curious.

(I'm in marketing, it's my curse that I need to understand why people do what they do
I don't like them because I only buy PDA Phones, Blackberries and Smartphones. I don't buy regular phones. And if you are into PDAs and BBs, Verizon is the WORST company to go with. They get their devices later than everyone else, and when they DO finally get them, they are crippled or aren't updated like everyone else. I remember getting the Treo 650 when they first came out with Verizon. Everyone else got the first major update MONTHS before Verizon released theirs. It is pitiful. They are late when it comes to those things.

THAT, and their calling plans are expensive compared to T-Mobile. So, essentially if you are into smartphones, you get a hobbled unit for the same or more than everyone else charges, plus you pay more for a calling plan. Ive been with Verizon long enough to know that if you want more advanced smartphones, look elsewhere.

OH wait .. to be fair, they got the Motorola Q before everyone else got their slim Smartphones like the Dash and Blackjack. BUT You know what? Verizon has no plans to update the Q to Windows Mobile 6. I have WM6 for my Dash, and there is one coming for the Blackjack. The no WM6 for Q was predicted by me a long time ago. NO WAY Verizon will update it.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:27 PM   #12
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

One thing Verizon has over T-Mo and Sprint is much better coverage. Verizon and Cingular are probably the best in providing the best service area.

Verizon's 3G network (EV-DO) is much better than anyone else's IMHO.

T-Mo is cheaper because they are still trying to build a customer base.

Last edited by Dubdub; 05-24-2007 at 08:29 PM..
Old 05-24-2007, 08:33 PM   #13
dpeters11

Well, Verizon isn't really the worst in getting devices. Maybe nationwide yes, but in my area one of our big GPRS providers is Cincinnati Bell and they still don't have an 8800. So Verizon isn't always the worst.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:49 PM   #14
Donna

Model: 9650
PIN: t / Quart
Carrier: VZ

The best vendor for you still depends on coverage in the areas you travel in the most. Good customer service and the latest OS won't help much if you can't get a signal.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:12 PM   #15
ericshmerick
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

Not trying to turn this into a carrier battle, but I have Sprint and free roaming...I can literally use my phone ANYWHERE b/c I roam on Alltel, Verizon, etc. I always have a signal.

I want a Pearl, so I stopped by the Tmobile store today (Cingular too expensive). After showing the sales rep where I primarily work/travel, he said "don't get Tmobile" b/c they had no roaming in the areas I go. He said my phone would be a paperweight.

I found that funny, but appreciated his honesty. BTW, my Sprint BB works where my Verizon work phone doesn't. So, if you have Sprint and roaming (on newer plans) your phone will work almost anywhere. The days of "poor Sprint coverage" are over. Tmobile, Verizon, and Cingular's coverage is far worse than Sprint (Coastal GA - AL).
Old 05-25-2007, 12:55 AM   #16
DarkCobra
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: 3306BEB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
Not trying to turn this into a carrier battle, but I have Sprint and free roaming...I can literally use my phone ANYWHERE b/c I roam on Alltel, Verizon, etc. I always have a signal.

The days of "poor Sprint coverage" are over. Tmobile, Verizon, and Cingular's coverage is far worse than Sprint (Coastal GA - AL).

That is not exactly true about Verizon. Verizon and Alltel are sister company's. Along with that Sprint runs on the same CDMA system. I'm quite impressed with Sprint lately. Alltel has the largest cellular network in the US to date (not customers, but most coverage). Hence why you get coverage anywhere in the US unless its a VERY remote area. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and i get coverage damn near everywhere i go, INCLUDING the woods...and theres plenty of that up here...i promise!

There should be no hate against any other carrier. Sure it's not always going to be best for you, but its all about what your looking for in phones and what kind of coverage you want. If you travel nationally i'd suggest looking at all company's that offer service and find which one will benefit you the most. I love being with Alltel knowing i get service anywhere in the US. I also know that other company's have different things to offer. I'm still considering switching to Cingular for the fact that GSM is a nicer system and being able to switch phone's as i want with newer technology, but if they cant offer me the service up here where i live anywhere near as close as Alltel can, then to me waiting a couple extra months for a new phone to come out is well worth it. Reception is the key to anything these days. Without reception, a phone is useless...

Devices:
BlackBerry Bold 9650
BlackBerry Playbook
iPhone 4S 32GB
HTC DROID Incredible 2
Old 05-25-2007, 03:44 AM   #17
pronerd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicBerry View Post
The one thing I can't figure out is why Verizon gets such a bad rap?
Who says they do? Verizon is consistently ranked number one in service and support in industry surveys. That is not to say there is not bad press, but all the carriers seem to have lots of bad press. It seems to me more a problem with the entire industry, not just Verizon.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:06 AM   #18
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronerd View Post
Who says they do? Verizon is consistently ranked number one in service and support in industry surveys. That is not to say there is not bad press, but all the carriers seem to have lots of bad press. It seems to me more a problem with the entire industry, not just Verizon.

very well said
Old 05-25-2007, 07:21 AM   #19
superunlikely
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

One thing you might want to keep in mind is battery life.

Now I would suggest you do your own research on this because there seem to be conflicting opinions. But in my experience, the GSM phones have much better battery life.

Evidence:
1. When I switched from Sprint to Cingular I was stunned that Cingular had a phone with 7 hours of talk time. The best talk time I remember getting from a Sprint phone was 4 hours. But hey they were different phones altogether.
2. All my friends on Sprint and Verizon ... their #1 complaint is battery life. OK still not very scientific, I know.
3. Go look at the phones on the carrier websites. All models that I've checked (RAZR, KRZR, BB8700) that have both GSM and CDMA versions, the CDMA (Sprint and Verizon) have about 60%-70% of the talk time the GSM version have.

Anyway food for thought.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:30 AM   #20
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
The best vendor for you still depends on coverage in the areas you travel in the most. Good customer service and the latest OS won't help much if you can't get a signal.

Well said!
Closed Thread