BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 07:46 AM   #21
crackberryUK
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: O2 UK

Please Login to Remove!

roxio works well on the 8300, simple drag drop or copy paste into sd card or phone memory.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:47 AM   #22
shfawaz

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackberryUK View Post
roxio works well on the 8300, simple drag drop or copy paste into sd card or phone memory.
Does this mean you have it? If so, how and when did you get it? I just downloaded the latest BB desktop and its not there.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #23
crackberryUK

Model: 9000
Carrier: O2 UK

Roxio 9 comes with the 8300. its part of the desktop manager.
Anyone with a 8300 will have it on the install cd.

screenshot ----> ImageShack - Hosting :: mediamanagergh5.jpg

Last edited by crackberryUK; 05-17-2007 at 09:31 AM..
Old 05-17-2007, 10:26 AM   #24
redx

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Does anyone know if this Roxio product supports podcast subscriptions? Right now, that is the main thing I'd miss switching from consolidating devices from ipod nano to Curve for media.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:33 AM   #25
stealthx32
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8220
Carrier: T-Mobile

Does this add anything to the BB player on the OS end? I personally hate media managers.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:38 PM   #26
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

The links from Roxios page take you to RIM where you can download DM 4.2 SP2. It's 231mb. Whose going to give it a go.
BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop Software | Applications to Synchronize Your BlackBerry and Desktop Data

see the link at the bottom of the page for the DL.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:05 PM   #27
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Does this Desktop update (4.2 sp2) replace the original pearl media player with the new Roxio one? Is that the premise we're working on here?
Old 05-18-2007, 11:12 PM   #28
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
Does this Desktop update (4.2 sp2) replace the original pearl media player with the new Roxio one? Is that the premise we're working on here?
No it won't do that. Desktop only but it appears to be Roxio quality song, video and photo management for the BB on the desktop working for 8100, 8800 and 8300 devices.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:30 PM   #29
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Fast and Robust with full access to device memory and the SD card. People should try this. Wonder if there is a manual anywhere.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:07 AM   #30
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Free with DM 4.2 sp 2, it will convert videos on the fly for you. It supports playlists on the Curve (don't think it will on the others but have not tried it). Get it here BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop Software | Applications to Synchronize Your BlackBerry and Desktop Data
Go to the bottom of the page and click on the download link.

Best I can tell it only supports .mov, .avi and and .wma media files, so conversion still needs to be done of You Tube videos.

Roxio uses My Media accross their product line which is described below. They BB specific actions are then described followed by how media is transferred to the device. Note that I doubt playlists are supported on the 8800 but I have not tried it yet.

Working with My Media

The My Media view shows your Smart Views and albums.
Smart Views are media file groupings automatically created and maintained by Media Manager, based on common characteristics such as media type, date, or keyword. You can also create Smart Views from your search queries, or from existing Smart Views.
Albums are media file groupings that you create and manage yourself. You can use albums to group media files from vacations, events, or special occasions. If youxxx8217;ve already organized your photos and videos into folders, Media Manager automatically creates an album for each folder. When you add a photo or video to one of these folders, Media Manager automatically adds it to your album.
A single media file can be included in multiple Smart Views and albums. Moving media files from one album or Smart View to another does not affect the filesxxx8217; physical location on the disk. When you remove media files from Smart Views or albums, the media files are not physically deleted from your disk.
You can remove a media file from a Smart View, which removes the file from all other Smart Views to which it belongs. (The files are not removed from the Windows file system.)
You can also rename files within a Smart View, which renames the file in all other views to which it belongs, as well as in the Windows file system.
You cannot delete, rename, or move Smart Views.

Media Manager for BlackBerry

This version of Media Manager is specially designed to be used with your BlackBerry device. It differs from the standard version of Media Manager in the following ways: [LIST][*]It includes a BlackBerry view in both Media Manager and Media Selector, which you can use to browse media files on your BlackBerry device. (This view may be referred to as the My Devices view in this guide.)[*]It contains a BlackBerry Options tab. (This tab may be referred to as the Cell Phone Options tab in this guide.)
Tip: For more information about the fields on this tab, choose Tools > Options, click BlackBerry and then click Help.[*]The procedures for transferring files to and from your BlackBerry have been enhanced

Transferring files from your computer to your BlackBerry
[*]Media Manager always opens in Split view, so you donxxx8217;t need to click the Split View button when instructed to do so in the procedures in this guide.[*]Media Manager allows you to quickly and easily create and manage playlists

Transferring files from your computer to your BlackBerry

You can copy media files, including playlists, from your computer to your BlackBerry.
Note: When you copy playlists, all associated audio files are also copied.

To copy files from your computer to your BlackBerry:
  1. In the top part of the window, browse to and select the media files you want to transfer to your BlackBerry.
    Tip: To select more than one file at a time, press and hold Ctrl while you select the files.
  2. In the bottom part of the window, click BlackBerry to show the BlackBerry view and browse to the folder where you want to save the files.
  3. Click Copy Down.
    The Copy Files dialog box appears.
  4. Use one of these methods to copy the files:
    • To automatically convert the files to the optimal format and size for your BlackBerry, select Convert for optimal playback, and click OK.
    • To copy the files with the existing format and size, select Copy with no conversion, and click OK.
    • To select a destination format and size, select Advanced conversion options, and click OK. Change the options as desired, and click OK.
      Tip: For more information about the Advanced options, choose Tools > Options, click BlackBerry and then click Help.

Last edited by Stinsonddog; 05-19-2007 at 09:25 AM..
Old 05-22-2007, 04:00 PM   #31
franchise101

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

how do i get it to read my media card...its only reading the device memory before it would read both device memory and media card...how do i do that with this new software
Old 05-22-2007, 05:05 PM   #32
Unluky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
PIN: Safety

it appears to me you have to choose not - which kind of sucks. Put your BB in mass storage mode to access the media card or don't to access everything else.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:20 AM   #33
akg

PIN: Mont Blanc

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8100: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unluky
it appears to me you have to choose not - which kind of sucks. Put your BB in mass storage mode to access the media card or don't to access everything else.
Yep looks like you have to enable mass storage mode to be able to access the media card through the software. The good news is that (at least on the newest Rogers O.S.) you can leave mass storage mode on and access the files from the BB media player. For some reason you used to have to turn mass storage off or do a battery pull to get that to work again.

BES 4.1.6 Exchange 2003 SP2
Old 05-28-2007, 08:56 AM   #34
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Agreed works with my 8100 Rogers branded Pearl. I just don't know how to use it.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #35
rugmankc

Model: 8900
Carrier: Cincinnati Bell
Default Media Downloads

Still trying to find out from any 8300 owners, what media/video can be downloaded through the browser as opposed to the desktop manager. Like video clips on news or sport sites.

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2007, 11:21 AM   #36
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

can we just get the link to download roxio separately?