BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 06:37 PM   #21
ryanmitton

Model: 7290
Carrier: telus
Default minimum requirements for beta test

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, whats the minimum requirements for the beta testing? I am using a 7290 with rogers provider in canada.

Also, my friend want's to try it on his 8703 with Telus, on CDMA network. Will it work on CDMA network?

Thanks.

Last edited by ryanmitton; 04-02-2007 at 07:21 PM..
Old 04-03-2007, 06:41 AM   #22
SHAPE
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Tried the new OTA on my 8700g. Showed two icons, both wouldn't launch ("Too many apps on device"). Tried battery pull. Both icons dissappeared, but app showed on Advanced Options. What's up, Shape services?
Would you be so kind completely to remove the applications and install our IM+ for Skype Software Beta version from our wap-site: wap.shapeservices.com
Please infrom us [email address] if you could install the application.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:01 PM   #23
gschoelles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: 3188B3A0
Carrier: Verizon

7250 appears to be too slow for this app when a large number of contacts are involved. Perhaps being able to select not to have address book imported would work better.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #24
SHAPE_Services
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmitton
Hi, whats the minimum requirements for the beta testing? I am using a 7290 with rogers provider in canada.

Also, my friend want's to try it on his 8703 with Telus, on CDMA network. Will it work on CDMA network?

Thanks.
We have not tested on CDMA network yet, but it should work. Please try and post your comments here. Thank you in advance!
Old 04-03-2007, 01:31 PM   #25
SHAPE_Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschoelles
7250 appears to be too slow for this app when a large number of contacts are involved. Perhaps being able to select not to have address book imported would work better.
You can choose not to import your address book contacts as follows:
Settings -> Contact List View -> disable checkbox Show contacts of address book
Old 04-03-2007, 02:23 PM   #26
ryanmitton

Default IM+ with skype on CDMA/EVDO --anybody know for sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAPE_Services
We have not tested on CDMA network yet, but it should work. Please try and post your comments here. Thank you in advance!

Thanks Shape. I think I am talking to you in two different forums now...

GPRS is a data transmission right? EVDO on CDMA is the fast transmission sort of like EDGE I think on the GSM, do your technical analyst see any reason why it would not work for EVDO data on CDMA?

Anyway, Im sorry to ask so many questions but I currently have a VEEERRRYYY old 7290 blackberry that is overflowing and deletes email when they come in. I am looking to decide which device to buy (HTC s620, Palm treo, or blackberry 8703). Depending on if I can get skype to work on which device.....I will buy that particular device.

So I really appreciate your help. Do they think it will work on CDMA? ( I have to pay lots of money to upgrade to CDMA 8703 to find out....so I would like to know if any experience has been made in this first)

Ryan.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #27
ryanmitton

Default some FYI for fellow bberry users wanting to use skype with their unlimited data plan.

hi, i've been asking this on the skype forum and thought you might want to see the answers i've got from Shape.
here is the link to the thread: Skype for Blackberry - Skype Forums

-----------------------------------------
Good day, Ryanmitton!

1. Does the Skype Out call from my blackberry use both data plan from my mobile provider, and skype out credit? (I am on unlimited data plan right now, but I still want to know)

The charges include data plan from your mobile provider (for connection and changing messages) and SkypeOut (for any incoming and outgoing calls). If you are on unlimited data plan, there will not be additional charges for GPRS traffic while you are within your country.

1.2 When I place a call using IM+ for skype software, using my blackberry, the blackberry will ring again as the call is connected back to my number. When it connects back to my cell phone number, am I using Data Plan or Voice Plan with my Cell phone provider?

After the call is forwarded to your cell phone only SkypeOut credits are used.

2. Does the skype out convesation made by the blackberry sound good or bad and is there any lag?

The Skype Out conversation shoud sound good.IM+ for Skype Software uses SkypeOut to transfer voice data over this wireless network, which ends up being rather cost-efficient if compared to Voice over IP (VoIP). Furthermore, the call quality is better when you use SkypeOut rather than VoIP.
There should not be any lag if you have high- efficient Internet and telephony.

3. Can i receive calls to my Skype-In telephone number on the blackberry using IM+ for skype software?

Yes, you will receive calls to your Skype-In telephone number on the blackberry using IM+ for Skype Software.

4. Will the calls placed, and received with IM+ for skype software be routed through my blue tooth jabra jx10 headset and can i answer the call using the button on the headset?

Most likely.

5. my cell phone provider in canada is Telus. It is a CDMA network and uses EVDO. Will this software work on the EVDO network I use?

If you have Internet-connected mobile phone than IM+ for Skype Sowftare will work on such phone

--------------------------------

and now im waiting for a reply on these questions (i;ll let you know):
------------------------------------------
Thank You very much for the in detail description. This helps me very much.

I have two more questions:

1. So when I place a call using IM+ for skype while I do have Skype Out credit, and receive a call using IM+ for Skype, and I have a Skype In number, I never, ever, ever use any voice plan minutes from my cell phone? Please confirm this. Thanks.

2. When I want to place a call to a contact in my blackberry handset, I will go to the blackberry address book, find my contact, and when I press the trackwheel will there be an option to call using IM+ for skype software?

Thank You very much,

Ryan Mitton.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #28
bjchantry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Default Looking better

I just installed the new beta and tested it twice in South Africa, all seems good now, call quality quite good considering. Please confirm when it calls me back is it using data or acting as a regular cell phone using minutes. According to the previous poster it is using data but then why does it come through as a phone call? Thanks.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:08 PM   #29
ryanmitton

bjchantry,

can you confirm that we can, or cannot, choose to call a contact in our blackberry address book when we click the contact with the track wheel is there an option to call with IM+ for skype?

And how about the bluetooth earpiece working with the skype call? if yes, which earpiece are you using?

Thanks South Africa.

Ryan.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:16 PM   #30
bjchantry

ryanmitton,

I don't see any option to call a contact via skype if I click on them in the address book. One option is to allow it to import your address book when starting skypeout and then you can dial from there, although I have an 8700 which is the fastest bb I believe and it takes a while to import my address book so I have that option turned off.

As for the bluetooth, I have a handsfree kit not a earpiece and I haven't tested it with that yet, but I will try to do so tomorrow.

This is looking promising, I was skeptical after the first version of the beta but that is what the beta is for so I am glad to see we are making progress.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:09 PM   #31
don.new

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

I am still getting the "Too many apps on device" error when I try to launch the app.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:14 PM   #32
Yellowbottle

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers and Orange

I installed the beta version it will not let me dial out i get msg saying

Unexpected transaction error .Please restart IM+for skype software.

I restarted it and still keep getting same error

I am using it on the 8700
Old 04-04-2007, 05:42 AM   #33
gardieldtsai

Model: 8707V
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbottle
I installed the beta version it will not let me dial out i get msg saying

Unexpected transaction error .Please restart IM+for skype software.

I restarted it and still keep getting same error

I am using it on the 8700

I have the same problem....I am using 8707V
Old 04-04-2007, 06:00 AM   #34
bjchantry

Question Billing question/concern

I went on to skype to check how the test calls were being billed and got a bit of a shock. My skypeout account was billed for the number I dialed to and then also for the call back to my cell phone, so basically I paid for two phone calls at the same time. Shape Services, can you confirm if this is correct and what is expected. If so, I only see the value of this if you are calling another skype person so that you are only paying for the call back to your cell phone. For me with the skypeout rates to a cell phone in south Africa being ridiculously high, it is not feasible as the call back to my cell is considered a skypeout call. Please clarify/advise, thanks.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:36 AM   #35
ryanmitton

I can understand why that would choke you. In canada, we have unlimited skypeout for 40 bucks a year. Shape, if your still there, can you please answer/confirm some of the questions raised above. Thanks. Ryan.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:02 PM   #36
SHAPE_Services

Quote:
I can understand why that would choke you. In canada, we have unlimited skypeout for 40 bucks a year. Shape, if your still there, can you please answer/confirm some of the questions raised above. Thanks. Ryan.
Hi Ryan. As you have unlimited skypeout, incoming and outgoing calls will be free for you, though you will have small charges for data.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:06 PM   #37
SHAPE_Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjchantry
I went on to skype to check how the test calls were being billed and got a bit of a shock. My skypeout account was billed for the number I dialed to and then also for the call back to my cell phone, so basically I paid for two phone calls at the same time. Shape Services, can you confirm if this is correct and what is expected. If so, I only see the value of this if you are calling another skype person so that you are only paying for the call back to your cell phone. For me with the skypeout rates to a cell phone in south Africa being ridiculously high, it is not feasible as the call back to my cell is considered a skypeout call. Please clarify/advise, thanks.
Hello! IM+ for Skype really uses skypeout for call back. There is however an option to set another number for call back, not your mobile number. For South Africa the cost for call back to landline will be 0.055 eur/min, as opposed to 0.19 eur/min to mobile.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:18 PM   #38
SHAPE_Services

Quote:
1. So when I place a call using IM+ for skype while I do have Skype Out credit, and receive a call using IM+ for Skype, and I have a Skype In number, I never, ever, ever use any voice plan minutes from my cell phone? Please confirm this. Thanks.
In both cases, you receive a plain incoming call to your cell phone. If your incoming calls are free, your plan minutes are not used. Otherwise, you will be charged for incoming call.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:37 PM   #39
gardieldtsai

Model: 8707V
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
In both cases, you receive a plain incoming call to your cell phone. If your incoming calls are free, your plan minutes are not used. Otherwise, you will be charged for incoming call.
how about my question?? I tried skype call test but it couldnt work. It also showed "unexpected error message please restart IM+SKYPE". what's the problem? Can you confirm and advice??
Thank you,
Gary
Old 04-04-2007, 07:13 PM   #40
bjchantry

Smile

Quote:
Hello! IM+ for Skype really uses skypeout for call back. There is however an option to set another number for call back, not your mobile number. For South Africa the cost for call back to landline will be 0.055 eur/min, as opposed to 0.19 eur/min to mobile.
Shape Services, please confirm though that there should be 2 calls billed to skypeout. The first being the number you are calling and the second being either your bb or the number you designate it to call you back on. I think the service is working well based on some more tests, it is jut unfortunate for me that the rates are quite high. For someone in Europe or North America I can see this as awesome.