Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
pawn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell
Default SSH with SureType

Please Login to Remove!

Scanning this forum, It seems at least some people use midpSSH or MobileSSH with their Pearl. What's the trick? Any advice on how to get anything accomplished using suretype? I've given up pretty much every single time I've tried to use either program. What was a breeze on my 8700 is almost infuriating on the Pearl. Having to deal with local input (BTW, see below), autocorrect features that insist on capilizing words, etc. So, again, any advice from Pearl/SSH users?

P.S.: The version of MobileSSH (latest from Idokorro as of the time of this post) seems to be broken (I think). The "Disable local input" menu feature does nothing except toggle the menu option. The local input ribbon at the bottom remains no matter what and I am stuck with local input. I was sort of hoping that SureType would work directly at the command prompt. Also, there's a problem where the hourglass symbol flashes every few seconds whenever I have a shell open (distracting). I'm using the TIM 4.2.1.102 OS if it matters.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

I can only echo your sentiments here man, I demo'd MobileSSH and have midpSSH installed, and it's just really hard to use with Suretype. I'm pretty much hanging out until a 83xx release to purchase the MobileSSH license (it's a great app, IMHO) to get the qwerty love. The lack of being able to do tab completion is a killer -- anyone who lives on the cmdline can attest to this as well, I don't think I've actually *typed* '/usr/local' in years.

I've read reports of the flashing hourglass with the new TIM 4.2.1 release over in the main thread, I don't think there's much you can do about that. It seems to only happen to some people, and with some programs. :-/
Old 03-23-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
esbe02
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMO

(NOOB QUESTION) but, what exactly is SSH anyways?
Old 03-23-2007, 04:20 PM   #4
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by esbe02
(NOOB QUESTION) but, what exactly is SSH anyways?
Secure Shell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #5
pauldumais
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Unfortunately there is not much we can do to improve suretype typing, it's a hardware issue, local input is required because of the predictive typing field of the blackberry, if you guys have ideas please let us know. You can switch the input mode to multitap instead of suretype and that should make it a little easier.

Email our support team at [email address] and they should be able to give you some more tips as well, as personally i'm not sure suretype user.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:24 PM   #6
pawn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldumais
Unfortunately there is not much we can do to improve suretype typing, it's a hardware issue, local input is required because of the predictive typing field of the blackberry, if you guys have ideas please let us know. You can switch the input mode to multitap instead of suretype and that should make it a little easier.

Email our support team at [email address] and they should be able to give you some more tips as well, as personally i'm not sure suretype user.
Thanks all for the feedback. I guess you're just telling me what I already knew. I was hoping I was missing something that would make it easier.
Closed Thread