BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
Bmosbacker

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default Basic Advice to Avoid Problems

Please Login to Remove!

I just ordered a BB 7100t with T-mobile. My first BB. I need some basic advice and guidance from veterans who can help me avoid problems. Thanks in advance for your help.

1. I need to sync. my BB with Outlook (email, contacts, calendar). We do NOT use the BB server software. I am the only BB user in the company. Is this a relatively easy process? Do I need to uninstall MS Active Sync (I have been using it to sync my HP PDA in order to use the sync software for the BB? Will Active Sync conflict with the sync software for the BB? Any general guidance/advice?
2. Will I be able to receive emails wireless to my phone when traveling? I have the following email accounts:
* Corporate email (MS Exchange Server/Outlook 2003)
* Bellsouth.net
* Hotmail
* Gmail
I am assuming that I will be able to receive all EXCEPT my the corporate email wirelessly. Am I correct?
3. Are there a few "must have" 3rd party applications that you would recommend?
4. Any other general advice--what to avoid, tips, etc.?

Thanks much! 8)
Old 04-24-2005, 02:37 AM   #2
chapter1

Model: 8700g
Carrier: Rogers

Hi,

What mails are you using to access on your BlackBerry handheld?
Are they MS Exchange, Lotus Notes, IMAP or POP3 mails?
Old 04-24-2005, 09:15 AM   #3
Chewbacca

Model: 7290

Hi,
You shouldn't have any problem with syncing your deivce while Active Sync is running. Just make sure you are using different USB ports for your PDA and BB. Another option in case you have problems is to temporarly disable the USB port from the Active Sync connection properties.
Just because a RIM tech told me I can't, I have tried using a Nokia phone with a USB connection, a PPC PDA, and my BB while all three sync programs were running (though not all three devices were connected at the same time) and didn't have any problem.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:22 AM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

1. I need to sync. my BB with Outlook (email, contacts, calendar). We do NOT use the BB server software. I am the only BB user in the company. Is this a relatively easy process? Do I need to uninstall MS Active Sync (I have been using it to sync my HP PDA in order to use the sync software for the BB? Will Active Sync conflict with the sync software for the BB? Any general guidance/advice?

Syncing is easy, using the included Intelllisync software that comes as part of the Desktop Manager software. I ran both a BB and an iPaq for a while (some time ago) so it can be done.

2. Will I be able to receive emails wireless to my phone when traveling? I have the following email accounts:
* Bellsouth.net
* Hotmail
* Gmail
I am assuming that I will be able to receive all EXCEPT my the corporate email wirelessly. Am I correct?

You can get ALL of these. Part of the included software is the "Desktop Redirector", which will send your Exchange e-mail to your BB. The trick is you have to leave it running on a logged in PC 24X7. If the app closes or PC crashes, no more e-mail.

Your other (POP3) e-mail is mostly available (Hotmail is a bit of a problem) via the BlackBerry Web Client (BWC), which collects your POP3 e-mail every 15 minutes and sends it to the BB.

Search on Hotmail and you'll find lots of threads on it. GMail, too.

3. Are there a few "must have" 3rd party applications that you would recommend?

I believe there is a Sticky Thread entitled Killer BB Applications or something like that.

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2005, 01:04 PM   #5
Guenter

Model: 7100t
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmosbacker
I just ordered a BB 7100t with T-mobile. My first BB. I need some basic advice and guidance from veterans who can help me avoid problems. Thanks in advance for your help.

* Bellsouth.net
* Hotmail
* Gmail
One recommendation that I read about here and works really well is to set up a forwarding filter in gmail rather than using pop. That said, I'm checking a pop, imap, and gmail forwarding on my blackberry and it works great.
Closed Thread