BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #21
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Please Login to Remove!

I second the comments about HTML and folders.

I would also like a flags utility. I use Outlook's color-coded flags religiously. They've actually become my prioritized task list, since almost every assignment I get comes through email. I would love to be able to have the same system in my BB Inbox. I'd like it to be customizable, too: the user picks which colored flag means what. Ideally it would have at least the same 7 flags to choose from as Outlook (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, and clear/ no flag).

If they could show up in the Inbox, on either side of the message icon or on the far right side of the screen, that would be perfect. But even a separate screen that only showed flagged messages would be an improvement.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:36 AM   #22
jjrr
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700
Carrier: v

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynhr

I would also like a flags utility. I use Outlook's color-coded flags religiously. They've actually become my prioritized task list, since almost every assignment I get comes through email. I would love to be able to have the same system in my BB Inbox. I'd like it to be customizable, too: the user picks which colored flag means what. Ideally it would have at least the same 7 flags to choose from as Outlook (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, and clear/ no flag).

If they could show up in the Inbox, on either side of the message icon or on the far right side of the screen, that would be perfect. But even a separate screen that only showed flagged messages would be an improvement.
Kathryn,

it is not possible to redesign the BB Inbox. So far we have added the ability to flag messages using "Tags" in our BB application called Tag-It! You can create as many tags as you wish and attached them to messages. We are also working on futher improvements.

Have a great day
The Link2 Team
Old 02-28-2007, 09:26 AM   #23
jjrr

H guys,
this also sounds like a good idea:

"Treo's have a program that auto-replies to SMS's ... like if someone texts the BB it will reply "please call this number" or if someone calls, it will reply with "please call this number""

What do you think?

Thank you
The Link2 Team
Old 02-28-2007, 09:54 AM   #24
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: If you knew me you would have it!
Carrier: T-Mobile

I really like the html and folder ideas.

Looking to buy or sale used car audio?
www.caraudioclassifieds.org
Old 02-28-2007, 01:11 PM   #25
jjrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFreak
I really like the html and folder ideas.
It looks like we could use a new e-mail client...what do you think?
Old 02-28-2007, 05:03 PM   #26
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrr
If that's what's necessary. You're the developer. Should we hold our collective breath or not?
Old 02-28-2007, 05:36 PM   #27
jwhite4304
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Absolutely - something with folders and html mail would be wonderful!

Jimbo

Jimbo
Old 03-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #28
kathrynhr

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
it is not possible to redesign the BB Inbox. So far we have added the ability to flag messages using "Tags" in our BB application called Tag-It! You can create as many tags as you wish and attached them to messages. We are also working on futher improvements.
I appreciate this. However, I personally find a visual cue much more helpful than a text-based one like tags. Even if I had to go into another screen besides the inbox to see the flags/circles/parallelograms beside my messages.

I just find color-coding my messages to be extremely useful, and that's the feature I'd most like to see.

Since you asked.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:54 AM   #29
adwiv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8707g
Carrier: Hutch

Hi all,

I had become frustrated with what BB offered so I have been working in my free time on a similar product for about 2 months now. Its still not ready for alpha, but its first version is supposed to contain folders, rules and device based spell check along-with a lot of other cool tools. A a lot of other features are also on my wish list but will not make to first version.

I plan not to charge for this product.

I would make an announcement when I am ready to throw it open to alpha testing.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:35 AM   #30
rel12561
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwiv
Hi all,

I had become frustrated with what BB offered so I have been working in my free time on a similar product for about 2 months now. Its still not ready for alpha, but its first version is supposed to contain folders, rules and device based spell check along-with a lot of other cool tools. A a lot of other features are also on my wish list but will not make to first version.

I plan not to charge for this product.

I would make an announcement when I am ready to throw it open to alpha testing.
Count me in as a tester.
PIN 23F257DB

Old 03-03-2007, 02:31 PM   #31
JG in SB

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

How about a little utility that will automatically do a "more all" command on mail items other than thos that sync to the Inbox. For example synced Sent Items that were originated from within Outlook and then came over to the BlackBerry.

That would be awesome.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:36 PM   #32
JG in SB

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkkeller
I know many people that switch to a BB dont like how it lumps sms/mms/email/call log all in one folder. Maybe a auto sort type program that moves mms to an mms folder, sms to an sms folder, calls to its own folder and so on.

I know the BB does have a similiar option already but its hidden down in the menus and not just icons on the home page except for 1-2 themes that you have to hack your files to activate.

I really want what every non BB phones has and I/everyone have been used to for years, an sms in/out box, email in/out box, mms in/out box and call log in/out box.
That is weird......

My 8800 already is able to work in exactly the way you are saying you "wish" this would work.

I have a separate:

E-mail folder set
SMS/MMS Inbox
Call log
Old 03-03-2007, 02:47 PM   #33
JG in SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynhr

I 2nd this request for flags support. This should have been "native" to the BB operating system but isn't.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:00 PM   #34
rivviepop

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG in SB
My 8800 already is able to work in exactly the way you are saying you "wish" this would work.
Not weird, that is a feature added in the 8800 OS, as discussed in the New Tips sticky in the 8800 forum. The rest of us don't have this, and want it badly. Maybe the next Pearl OS update (8100 is on .71, 8800 is on .72) will have it if we're lucky.

*crosses fingers*
Old 03-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #35
rivviepop

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
... and would like to get feedback on what kind of BB e-mail utility you would like to see next
Time for an "out of left field!" suggestion from me. I would love to see more people such as your team join the LogicMail project (LogicMail for BlackBerry) and help Derek bring a full fledged IMAP client to the BB platform. Currently it can log in and view email, and Derek is working hard on SMTP support (code in SVN). It's a standard NetBeans based project, so anyone (on Windows who can install the BlackBerry JDE parts, which sadly is not me) can join and help with little effort. If you're a coder, of course.

For those of us *not* on BES, not having a true IMAP experience over BIS (like Chatter Email on the Treo) is a serious deal killer. Many people can't leave their Treos and come to the BlackBerry camp because of this, there are no solutions out there - trust me, I've spent hours looking. Push email over BIS does not give you all the folder usage you need that comes with IMAP.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:46 AM   #36
jjrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
Time for an "out of left field!" suggestion from me. I would love to see more people such as your team join the LogicMail project (LogicMail for BlackBerry) and help Derek bring a full fledged IMAP client to the BB platform. Currently it can log in and view email, and Derek is working hard on SMTP support (code in SVN). It's a standard NetBeans based project, so anyone (on Windows who can install the BlackBerry JDE parts, which sadly is not me) can join and help with little effort. If you're a coder, of course.

For those of us *not* on BES, not having a true IMAP experience over BIS (like Chatter Email on the Treo) is a serious deal killer. Many people can't leave their Treos and come to the BlackBerry camp because of this, there are no solutions out there - trust me, I've spent hours looking. Push email over BIS does not give you all the folder usage you need that comes with IMAP.
Great news!

The Link2 Team
Old 03-10-2007, 08:02 PM   #37
katone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Mo

Old 03-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #38
KeilwerthSX90R
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG in SB

That is weird......

I have a separate:

E-mail folder set
SMS/MMS Inbox
Call log

Do you have a BES and personal BIS accounts on there? Does is separate those out to, or just the personal accounts?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:09 PM   #39
jtdarden

Model: 8xxx
PIN: member2393
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkkeller
I know many people that switch to a BB dont like how it lumps sms/mms/email/call log all in one folder. Maybe a auto sort type program that moves mms to an mms folder, sms to an sms folder, calls to its own folder and so on.

I know the BB does have a similiar option already but its hidden down in the menus and not just icons on the home page except for 1-2 themes that you have to hack your files to activate.

I really want what every non BB phones has and I/everyone have been used to for years, an sms in/out box, email in/out box, mms in/out box and call log in/out box.
I am all for having folders to file messages, but this does you no good with a POP3 account (blackberry is push, not synced). You do have the saved messages folder if you want it out of your message box but still on the device. In a BES situation, all folders on the server show up on your device.

As for the separate In/Out box for each POP3 account, that is a feature built into v4.1 of the operating system as long as your carrier upgraded to the most recent version of the BIS (last time I check, all of the big 3 have).

Each POP3 account generates a separate service book, which consequently pushes an icon to your homepage. You can view messages in one unified messaging folder, or view each account separately in their individual icon/message box.

I have an 8073e with 4.1, and my 7100i as well as my 7520 did the same thing when I upgraded to v4.1.

To be quite honest, this is the reason I ditched the Treo 700wx, because I prefer all of my inbound messages, etc. in one place.

Let me know if I am missing something.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:10 PM   #40
jtdarden

Model: 8xxx
PIN: member2393
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

A preview pane would be pretty sweet (like in outlook or on a WM5 device).
Closed Thread