BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 07:50 PM   #1
Ferguson
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Default New to 7100t, Antenna, VM Alerts, etc.

Please Login to Remove!

Newly got a 7100t on T-Mobile, not a previous blackberry user. Like it. These forums have answered a slew of questions for me.

A few questions I could not find if someone would be so kind:

- What setting controls voice mail message alerts in the profile? They come in as (kind of) email messages, but make a small noise that is neither my level 1 message tone, nor a regular message (which I have set to mute).

- Am I correct there is no mechanism to hook an external antenna to this? I've plan to also use it on a boat, and was thinking of either an amplifier or separate cell antenna to get better coverage, but they mostly require a place to plug in an antenna (no, I'm not considering those stick-on scam "booster" pieces of foil, but a real antenna and/or amplifier).
I found one note (10/3/2004) suggesting there is one under the battery door, but not sure if true or usable. The other option is a (much) more expensive repeater, trying to avoid that.

- Any hope for more ringer volume? The (awful) BBClassicPhone is loud enough (marginally in a warehouse environment), but all the rest are awfully quiet. The HS810 headset is also marginal in any noisey area. Is there a "yes I really did mean loud" feature? Or more likely, any way to modify ring tones with something loud but more pleasant than BBClassicPhone?

PS. I'm running 4.0.0.198.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:49 PM   #2
buttbutt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cing
Default tmobile and voicemail

I've been off tmobile for a little more than a year now. But they did not used to ever have voicemail notification that utilized any of the phones' (never used bb on them, and just ordered one for cing) voicemail notification (little tape icon or whatever else). I used nokia, motorola and samsung phones with them (I don't think any others) and it didn't work on any of them.

ATT (cing blue) with nokia, samsung and nec all provide vmail notification the way the phone manufacturers intended (when with tmobile, all my att friends would mock me). TM sends vmail messages just like other sms messages. At one point they would even provide the callerid info, but they "upgraded" that a while ago to just "you have voicemail" which is not so useful when travelling abroad paying a buck or two a minute and debating wether to check vmail.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:03 PM   #3
pcm2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

T-Mobile recently upgraded me to include a new persistent voicemail notification. It's a little icon at the top of the screen. They notified me of the impending update when I checked my voicemail one day, and explained that when the upgrade went through I would need to re-record my outgoing greeting. After I got it all set back up again, the voicemail indicator was working.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:18 PM   #4
Ferguson

Model: 9700

I take it that was something they initiated, as opposed to something you requested?

But that aside -- anyone have an idea which setting or profile controls the noise it makes when these particular voice-mail "messages" come in? They do not seem controlled by anything I've set in my profile, and experimentation with those settings seems to do nothing.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:04 AM   #5
TribAI

Under your ringer profiles edit your current one in the "messages" catagory. That will change the sound you hear when you get a voicemail notification (or any other email, text message, etc.). It worked for me.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:09 PM   #6
roccitman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcm2
T-Mobile recently upgraded me to include a new persistent voicemail notification. It's a little icon at the top of the screen. They notified me of the impending update when I checked my voicemail one day, and explained that when the upgrade went through I would need to re-record my outgoing greeting. After I got it all set back up again, the voicemail indicator was working.
Has anyone else received this upgrade? I haven't and I'm in Oregon.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:19 PM   #7
casmer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: ATT

I haven't yet in Utah, but in another thread a guy in hawaii said that he had. so I think it is hit or miss at this point. there was another thread a while back that talked about TMO converting to one voicemail system in Q1 '05. So hopefully everyone will be converted over in the next couple by the end of this month.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:35 PM   #8
dallasbbry

Model: 8300

Over at Howard forums they have posted the rolloout of the upgrades of T-Mobiles voicemail system. This will allow the voice mail "icon" vs an sms message. The roll out is spread out over 2005 and into 2006.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:22 PM   #9
shorty

I'm Silly-con Valley, California and we got the voicemail "upgrade" a couple of weeks ago.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:22 PM   #10
TheMatrix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: T-Mobile

Still no tape icon for me (Central NJ).

I hope I get it soon...I'm jealous. :P
Old 04-06-2005, 11:52 AM   #11
kpauley

I have the same question about the voicemail notification.

I am with Cingular in the SF Bay Area. I do get an icon that shows there is a v-mail message. A pop-up Network Notification comes up as well where I need to press OK to clear it, this tells me there is a voicemail. But I want to also have a tone based alert for these notifications. I tried switching the Messages notification on as mentioned previously. This turns on alerting for all Messages, including emails. And it still does not notify me if one of these network notifications messages come in.

I also tried enabling a notification on Level 1 messages, this does not do it either.

I'm thinking there is not any notification possible for this, anyone know?
Old 04-17-2005, 09:53 PM   #12
wbmaples

I didn't see a reply to the message about voicemail alerts on Cingular. It worked on my 7280 but there was a "Voicemail" setting in the profile just like the "Message" setting. Where did it go???????
Closed Thread