Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 04:51 PM   #41
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuellerAir
I am in the air cargo biz, i use the camera all the time for damaged shipments..
So much for me contacting you about handling some sterile freight.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:00 PM   #42
shotput87
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: cingular

You cannot bring a camera phone into most court rooms. It does not matter if the camera is disabled.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:01 PM   #43
MuellerAir
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
So much for me contacting you about handling some sterile freight.
ha ha
Old 02-14-2007, 05:21 PM   #44
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att
Default Screw The Camera

I can do without a camera myself. What I'm Po'd about is the damn creepy, crawly EDGE network. I wish they'd have figured out how to get us on EV-DO by now. I'm tired of dial-up type waiting when I'm surfing the web.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #45
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuellerAir
I am in the air cargo biz, i use the camera all the time for damaged shipments..
Herein lies the reason that there will be an 8800 model released (with a camera) after the intial cameraless version. There is a definite market for both, and thus RIM is responding accordingly.

My earlier point, which I may not have clearly stated is there is a definite need for one without a camera, and apparently RIM decided to give that model first priority.

Cheers...
Old 02-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #46
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6
Herein lies the reason that there will be an 8800 model released (with a camera) after the intial cameraless version. There is a definite market for both, and thus RIM is responding accordingly.
It's been known for months that with/without cam 8800-versions would be available.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:53 PM   #47
tprime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinda35
I can do without a camera myself. What I'm Po'd about is the damn creepy, crawly EDGE network. I wish they'd have figured out how to get us on EV-DO by now. I'm tired of dial-up type waiting when I'm surfing the web.
Just to add why no WIFI?

It seems RIM is very slow to include new features.

To me the argument is deeper than simply no camera.

Those of us dissatified feel that while RIM has been King of email, has the most stable OS it would be nice for them to include features that other smartphones have had for years. Mobile technology is constantly advancing while we keep accepting new RIM devices that are still behind in technology.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:30 PM   #48
nsimpson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tprime
Just to add why no WIFI?

Those of us dissatified feel that while RIM has been King of email, has the most stable OS it would be nice for them to include features that other smartphones have had for years. Mobile technology is constantly advancing while we keep accepting new RIM devices that are still behind in technology.
It all has to do with the fact that they want to make money. They stagger technology so they can release multiple models with slight improvements. Thats life mang. I see it everyday.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:00 PM   #49
pinhead

PIN: 30EC5097
Carrier: T-Mobile

Why was my posting deleted from this thread? There was certainly nothing about it that was negative in any way or in violation of forum rules (as far as I know). I have never even gotten into an argument with anyone...is there something wrong with not wanting a camera on the phone? Is it so wrong that my posts get removed?
Old 02-14-2007, 10:01 PM   #50
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

WTS - Blackberry 8800 camera parts. It's actually part of the device. I took one appart. I am sure someone will come up with a mod to enable it.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:27 PM   #51
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsimpson
It all has to do with the fact that they want to make money. They stagger technology so they can release multiple models with slight improvements. Thats life mang. I see it everyday.
I hear You. But it sure would be nice if RIM would stagger their technology to stay on the cutting edge of it, instead of falling further behind with each new model. It's this failure to stay on top of the technology that could allow Apple to eat RIM's lunch, in my estimation.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:35 PM   #52
Dr. Jerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

In another couple of months this debate about cameras or not will be all academic. The iPhone is coming!!
Cingular 8800
Old 02-14-2007, 11:47 PM   #53
nsimpson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700

Quote:
I hear You. But it sure would be nice if RIM would stagger their technology to stay on the cutting edge of it, instead of falling further behind with each new model. It's this failure to stay on top of the technology that could allow Apple to eat RIM's lunch, in my estimation.
Well just look at cellular in general, its annoying and i hate it. If your someone who keeps on top of technology and you see all the possibilities but get hit hard when you realize that you wont see anything that cool for a long long time becuase someone wants to squeeze out as much money as it possibily can from its customers. Why is the 8800 only EDGE? becuase they can move around a few buttons here and there, release a new os system and slap on hsdpa in 8 months and make some more coin on it.

You are completely right, they should know better to come out with something that blows our minds. Its my belief that they are getting alil too ****y about how great all blackerries are and that the lack of features will not turn people away from a blackberry, and they are right in thinking so. People will continue to by even if it doesnt have hsdpa.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:24 AM   #54
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900

The 8800 is still EDGE because the true speed increase of UMTS does not warrant the massive drain on battery life.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:27 AM   #55
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
You can't be on EVDO with a GSM carrier. In any case, the speed of the network doesn't matter much until processor speeds are improved. Currently, page rendering is the primary bottleneck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tprime
Just to add why no WIFI?

It's not RIM. Wait for the TMO version if you need WiFi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jerry
In another couple of months this debate about cameras or not will be all academic. The iPhone is coming!!
Quote:
Not again... The iPhone's not competition for the Blackberry (certainly not at the corporate level) until if offers push email, device management and integration with corporate email. I don't see where people get the idea that Apple is "cutting edge". Why is it that everyone complains about the lack of 3G on the 8800 but not on the iPhone?? I also have serious doubts about the touch screen being usable for serious emailers that are coming from Blackberries. I'd love to be proven wrong but I guess we'll see... I'd also love to see Apple "eat RIM's lunch" at the $600 per unit price point considering how much people already gripe about device pricing. I guess Apple's Kool Aid is pretty strong.

Last edited by takeshi; 02-15-2007 at 10:37 AM..
Old 02-15-2007, 11:06 AM   #56
tprime

Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
You can't be on EVDO with a GSM carrier. In any case, the speed of the network doesn't matter much until processor speeds are improved. Currently, page rendering is the primary bottleneck.

It's not RIM. Wait for the TMO version if you need WiFi.

Not again... The iPhone's not competition for the Blackberry (certainly not at the corporate level) until if offers push email, device management and integration with corporate email. I don't see where people get the idea that Apple is "cutting edge". Why is it that everyone complains about the lack of 3G on the 8800 but not on the iPhone?? I also have serious doubts about the touch screen being usable for serious emailers that are coming from Blackberries. I'd love to be proven wrong but I guess we'll see... I'd also love to see Apple "eat RIM's lunch" at the $600 per unit price point considering how much people already gripe about device pricing. I guess Apple's Kool Aid is pretty strong.
You'd be surprised to see what people will pay for new technology, especially if it has what you want.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:04 PM   #57
baccess
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Many
Carrier: Various

[QUOTE=tprime]Just to add why no WIFI?

/QUOTE]

Similar to why apple doesn't add a fm radio to the ipod? It would be easy to do , but the carrier (themselves, itunes) wouldn't like it $.
Closed Thread