Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
Eazym187
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Equipment Protection

Please Login to Remove!

If i were to lose my pearl how much would i have to pay to get a new one if i have the Equipment Protection? I went to the t-mobile site and the phone is under the class c category...so thats $110 off, now, would i deduct $350 (original price) minus $110 and pay 200 bux? or would i deduct 110 dollars to whatever i paid ($200)? has anyone ever lost their phone and had it replaced? if so, how long did it take? how much was it?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:59 PM   #2
kasperapd
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

If you have the T-Mobile insurance then you pay the $110 deductible and that's it.

Please try a Search
Old 01-29-2007, 11:08 PM   #3
chazm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: t mobile

Because I had a lying bastard of a sales man when buying my pearl, can someone tell me what insurance I have? He told me in person that for $50 it covers my phone for 1 year with theft, water damage, etc. with a $50 deductible. Im guessing this isn't true and will add another check to the things he lied about.

fyi~ they still haven't paid for my cancellation fee from sprint. He told me if I signed with them they will pay my cancellation fee and this was done on Oct. 31, 2006....luckily I got it in writing for whatever its worth.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:40 PM   #4
flash24

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazm
Because I had a lying bastard of a sales man when buying my pearl, can someone tell me what insurance I have? He told me in person that for $50 it covers my phone for 1 year with theft, water damage, etc. with a $50 deductible. Im guessing this isn't true and will add another check to the things he lied about.

fyi~ they still haven't paid for my cancellation fee from sprint. He told me if I signed with them they will pay my cancellation fee and this was done on Oct. 31, 2006....luckily I got it in writing for whatever its worth.

yea, good thing you got it on writing.. they will do anything just to get people to sign up. What a shame..

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 01-30-2007, 12:14 AM   #5
Ketchums
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

the T-Mobile salesmen are terrible. The service is decent once you actually sign with them, but they're assholes when they're trying to get you to sign.

As far as insurance policy, I just had the same question. I called them, and it turns out that if you didn't get insurance when you first got the phone (I believe either the first 15 or 30 days), then you can't get insurance on it at all. They'll replace it for free if it just stops working without them messing it up, but if you lose it, you have to buy another one at full price. However, if it ends up breaking on their clock and you actually get a new one, you can get the insurance on that new one when you get it. I forget how much a month it was.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:32 AM   #6
PaulQ
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketchums
As far as insurance policy, I just had the same question. I called them, and it turns out that if you didn't get insurance when you first got the phone (I believe either the first 15 or 30 days), then you can't get insurance on it at all. They'll replace it for free if it just stops working without them messing it up, but if you lose it, you have to buy another one at full price. However, if it ends up breaking on their clock and you actually get a new one, you can get the insurance on that new one when you get it. I forget how much a month it was.
I can verify that because I -cancelled- my insurance about a month after I bought my Pearl. I was clearly told that I could not reactivate it ever again. Seemed odd - sort of a pitch to keep me paying.

I did this because I took out a Safeware policy. It's much cheaper and no deductible. It seems too good to be true but I guess I will never know if it works until I use it! I feel like I made the right decision though.

For the record, I was also placed under the impression that Tmo has a $110 deductible on their policy.

<><><><><><><><><><><><> Life after Pearl is Curved... then there's a STORM!

Last edited by PaulQ; 01-30-2007 at 02:35 AM..
Old 01-30-2007, 03:28 AM   #7
SanFrancisco

PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazym187
If i were to lose my pearl how much would i have to pay to get a new one if i have the Equipment Protection? I went to the t-mobile site and the phone is under the class c category...so thats $110 off, now, would i deduct $350 (original price) minus $110 and pay 200 bux? or would i deduct 110 dollars to whatever i paid ($200)? has anyone ever lost their phone and had it replaced? if so, how long did it take? how much was it?
There some threads in here that talk about phone insurance. Simply type "insurance" in the search box ans they will show up.

The way insurance works is that you pay a monthly premium just like regular insurance payments. I think with T-Mo it is $6 or $7 a month now.

The insurance covers all non-warranty claims or damage such as losing the phone, theft, running over with your car, dropping into the swimming pool, etc.

When making a claim you will pay a $110 deductible with T-Mo. They may tack the $110 on to your monthly bill or require you pay it with a credit card. All you pay is the $110.

Usually claims are handled quite fast, a new phone will be express mailed to you.

In the industry, T-Mo's insurance plan is considered high, both in monthly premiums and the deductible.

In other threads we have discussed how over time the insurance is not worth the price. This is because over time the price to replace the Pearl goes down [eBay prices, the cost to get a new phone]. Assuming that you pay 6 months premiums before making a claim, that would total $72 in payments. That added to the $110 deductible would mean you paid $182 for the phone replacement.

Six months from now, a Pearl on eBay might go for $200 or less. So only you can decide if paying $182 is worth the chance that you might make a claim. Of course, the above assumes you would be making a claim. If not, then the $182 in six months would be a waste and even more if you never made a claim while you owned the Pearl.

Obviously, if you are the type who damages a phone every few months, then insurance might be a good investment.

But the other post that mentions Safeware is a better deal. Their premiums are lower and you don't pay a deductible on most claims. I heard from people who said they made claims with Safeware and they paid the claims promptly.

Laptop Insurance From Safeware
Old 01-30-2007, 07:28 AM   #8
FynxSyndct
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: 42

I love my tmo phone. I have a business account with them, so they are always trying to get me to by 15 phones everytime I go in. To bad its a one man business and that man is me. I love it, BB pearls and unlimited access for a tax write off!
Old 01-30-2007, 12:01 PM   #9
Scarlett
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

When I purchased mine from Cingular I was told they didn't have insurance for BB because they had not come up with a good way to to determine cost.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #10
razorlocs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Tmobile

My .02 save your money. The whole insurance thing is not worth it in the long run. I have recently seen pearls on ebay going for 200-250$ with a 1 gig sd card. I myself had the insurance in the past and was furious at having to pay a deductable after shelling out my monthly dues for insurance. Mind you this was when tmobile offered the insurance themselves and it was a more reasonable priceof 50$. But now that its a third party company, having to pay a 110$ after your 7$ a month is too much 4 me.