Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 08:43 AM   #1
zimbu1234
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Pearl Button Durability

Please Login to Remove!

I attempted to search for this but didn't know where to begin.

I have had my Pearl for one month and I use it a lot. I am always clicking around with that Pearl button. Lately I have been using the Return key instead of clicking the Pearl button because I don't want that little Pearl button to wear out. I have had some previous blackberry click wheel problems after too much clicking away.

Anyone experience anything like this with Pearl? Anyone ever hear of anything like this?
Old 01-23-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbu1234
I attempted to search for this but didn't know where to begin.

I have had my Pearl for one month and I use it a lot. I am always clicking around with that Pearl button. Lately I have been using the Return key instead of clicking the Pearl button because I don't want that little Pearl button to wear out. I have had some previous blackberry click wheel problems after too much clicking away.

Anyone experience anything like this with Pearl? Anyone ever hear of anything like this?
I too am concerned about this happening, i have started using the enter key alot more. I am sure RIM tested its durability, but then again anything can happen.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
modenatwinturbo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile

i'm so inlove wit my pearl that i only massage it lightly side to side and never press on it because i think it hurts when i do it. n she doesnt apreciate it. hahahahhaaha.

Eddie Rosado
Old 01-23-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
pcdebb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint

i never knew you could press the button. i've always used the return key. my button is sensitive tho, i can very VERY lightly brush it one way and end up rotating my myFaves
Old 01-23-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
zimbu1234
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdebb
i never knew you could press the button. i've always used the return key. my button is sensitive tho, i can very VERY lightly brush it one way and end up rotating my myFaves

Really? you have never even accidentally pushed the pearl in? That is crazy. How long have you had it?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
shickey
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Mine broke, just got the replacement from T-MO. The downward scrolling broke, not pushing in on the button.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:51 PM   #7
zimbu1234
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shickey
Mine broke, just got the replacement from T-MO. The downward scrolling broke, not pushing in on the button.
They replaced with no questions asked? Do you have insurance that covers it...did you have to pay a fee/deductible?
Old 01-23-2007, 11:08 PM   #8
Willie115
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: mEowmIx

Quote:
Originally Posted by shickey
Many people had this problem, simple fix? Sprayed with canned air to clean it, then press down with pressure and roll in the direction that didn't work. San Fran had this problem, I have had this... I did exactly as what these guys said and it worked like a charm. When you think about it the Pearl's trackball was built like a mouse... well in some way at least so it was built to last, you guys say you didn't know you could press the trackball down... well I didn't even know that you could press the return key =P
Old 01-24-2007, 01:00 AM   #9
rhwd2003
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

i am having an issue with scrolling downwards with the ball. I can scroll up just perfect but scrolling down does not seem to work almost at all. I should try a can of air spray just all around the ball? I will try tomorrow at work and report back.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:35 AM   #10
ivank37

Default MINE WIL NOT SCROLL DOWN!!! ,24Hrs Old Too!

NOTE: I posted this same info on a NEW thread. "My New Pearl = Busted Trackball"

Please reply over there instead of here. Thanks.

Hey y'all, im new here. I registered last night after getting home from the Cingular store with my Pearl. I was on the fence between it and the Blackjack, figured id give the Pearl a shot. Anyway, as most of you know its got alot of options and features, and I guess learning any new phone os takes time, ive been using Nokia for YEARS now and im used to that.

I was going to start my own thread on this issue but this seemed like a better place to start.

I did most of my playing around with it last night, and I was ready to start installing apps and asking some usability/upgrade questions on here, since you all seem to really love your BB's and know alot about them! Anyway, I pull it out today after riding into San Fran to watch the QMII enter the SF-Bay (phenomenal ship! ), and I cant move UP on my home screen. I think, "Thats odd, ill reboot it". Still nothing!

The phone was purchased at 6pm yesterday and before even getting used to it, the most important button on it wont work right. I see the post before me said theirs stopped going Down but as you all can imaine, with no other way to navigate menus, its VERY FRUSTRATING .

Later tonight I found by rapidly scrolling up, and with almost enough pressure to click the ball in, i can get it to move up but it is in no way consitent and you fly past the icon youre trying to land on. Anyway It has improved since ive been doing the rapid scroll but I cant imagine its a buildup of dirt dust or anything else, Ive been babying the thing, and was about to get a case for it. Havent had it in my pocket much at all and when it has its been in a soft sunglasses case.

Obviously im going to exchange it tomorow but I wanted a good solid week to decide if it was for me, and now its got me wanting to just go with something else, that and some other issues I have with the general operation of it. Please guys, convince me this is a good phone!

Last edited by ivank37; 02-05-2007 at 02:50 AM..
Old 02-05-2007, 08:29 AM   #11
dandrzejewski
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivank37
NOTE: I posted this same info on a NEW thread. "My New Pearl = Busted Trackball"

Please reply over there instead of here. Thanks.

Hey y'all, im new here. I registered last night after getting home from the Cingular store with my Pearl. I was on the fence between it and the Blackjack, figured id give the Pearl a shot. Anyway, as most of you know its got alot of options and features, and I guess learning any new phone os takes time, ive been using Nokia for YEARS now and im used to that.

I was going to start my own thread on this issue but this seemed like a better place to start.

I did most of my playing around with it last night, and I was ready to start installing apps and asking some usability/upgrade questions on here, since you all seem to really love your BB's and know alot about them! Anyway, I pull it out today after riding into San Fran to watch the QMII enter the SF-Bay (phenomenal ship! ), and I cant move UP on my home screen. I think, "Thats odd, ill reboot it". Still nothing!

The phone was purchased at 6pm yesterday and before even getting used to it, the most important button on it wont work right. I see the post before me said theirs stopped going Down but as you all can imaine, with no other way to navigate menus, its VERY FRUSTRATING .

Later tonight I found by rapidly scrolling up, and with almost enough pressure to click the ball in, i can get it to move up but it is in no way consitent and you fly past the icon youre trying to land on. Anyway It has improved since ive been doing the rapid scroll but I cant imagine its a buildup of dirt dust or anything else, Ive been babying the thing, and was about to get a case for it. Havent had it in my pocket much at all and when it has its been in a soft sunglasses case.

Obviously im going to exchange it tomorow but I wanted a good solid week to decide if it was for me, and now its got me wanting to just go with something else, that and some other issues I have with the general operation of it. Please guys, convince me this is a good phone!
I recommend a holster. Keeping it in your pocket makes it more susceptible to lint and dust, which could get under the track ball. I have had mine couple of months of good usage wothout any problems.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #12
ivank37

Default dandrzejewski

Yeah, I am still very new to this thing, and even after my "ball incident" im starting to love this phone ALOT. Found the theme i like, and i havent even started installing apps, or setup email/calendar stuff. Since ill be retrieving a new one in a few hours Im going to take better care to keep it particle free!!

Can you give me some linkage to the holster you use ? I prefer a case tho, dont really like wearing stuff on my belt/hip but its so light that may work.

Ive also seen that in the Profiles options there are in and out of Holster settings. Does that mean the Dock for chargin/synch or it has a way of telling when its clipped into a specific belt holster ?
Old 02-05-2007, 02:57 PM   #13
dandrzejewski
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Can you give me some linkage to the holster you use ? I prefer a case tho, dont really like wearing stuff on my belt/hip but its so light that may work.

Ive also seen that in the Profiles options there are in and out of Holster settings. Does that mean the Dock for chargin/synch or it has a way of telling when its clipped into a specific belt holster ?
I purchased the holster I use at Cingular. It's leather with a swivel belt clip. The flap closes with a magnet and it has the BlackBerry logo on the flap.

I'm fairly sure that this is the one I have.

Most OEM and many aftermarket BlackBerry holsters have magnets in them... when the magnet is near the right spot of the device, the device locks the keyboard and turns off the backlight (kind of like standby mode when you hold down the mute button).

In your profiles, you can have the device do different things when you have it out vs. holstered... for example, my "Normal" profile is set to vibrate when in the holster but ring when it's not.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #14
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Yeah, I am still very new to this thing, and even after my "ball incident" im starting to love this phone ALOT. Found the theme i like, and i havent even started installing apps, or setup email/calendar stuff. Since ill be retrieving a new one in a few hours Im going to take better care to keep it particle free!!

For you i would reccomend the leather pocket from RIM BlackBerry Accessories Store - BlackBerry 8100 it is a low profile pocket but wil keep lint and what not out of your Pearl trackball. The holster option is for cases that have sleeper magnets embedded in them. The 2 copper tabs on the back of the Pearl are what the sleeper magnets activate. They just put the phone into standby mode.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:25 PM   #15
ivank37

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonbomb1987
For you i would reccomend the leather pocket from RIM BlackBerry Accessories Store - BlackBerry 8100[/url] it is a low profile pocket but wil keep lint and what not out of your Pearl trackball. The holster option is for cases that have sleeper magnets embedded in them. The 2 copper tabs on the back of the Pearl are what the sleeper magnets activate. They just put the phone into standby mode.

Yep that is what I figured, I just hadnt had the time to look into it yet, thats very slick about the sensors.

I also think that slip case would be good, however I also like the thought of the rubberized skin. I see thats what you use canonbomb... but you have other stuff listed too ... Got any pics of youre case(s)?

Obviously with the skin on it wont insert into the leather pocket

Last edited by ivank37; 02-05-2007 at 03:28 PM..
Old 02-05-2007, 03:46 PM   #16
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Yep that is what I figured, I just hadnt had the time to look into it yet, thats very slick about the sensors.

I also think that slip case would be good, however I also like the thought of the rubberized skin. I see thats what you use canonbomb... but you have other stuff listed too ... Got any pics of youre case(s)?

Obviously with the skin on it wont insert into the leather pocket
All the skins/ cases that i own were bought from seidio. I have a black skin, an orange skin and a rubberized case. All three work great. Products: Black Berry 8100 Holster/Case