BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 08:22 AM   #21
loonews
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7280, 7290, 7250, 7100

Please Login to Remove!

Yea but problem is, looks like the messages from our users are getting encrypted and the people outside the company can't read them, just on PIN though, it's very odd.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:23 PM   #22
kanyigo

Default Pin messages

I have never sent or received a PIN msg. How do i send PIN msgs and can i send it to anyone with a BB?
Old 04-01-2005, 12:31 PM   #23
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I strongly urge you to read Mark Rejhon's FAQs that are posted at the top of the General BlackBerry Thread.

Every BlackBerry has an 8 character PIN hardcoded to the device. Get a new BB, get a new PIN. If you look in the Address book on the BlackBerry, you will see a field labeled PIN. You can send a PIN message to another BB customer, and they can send PIN to you.

Options / Status will show you the PIN for your BB. When you start Desktop Manager and connect the BB, the PIN is also displayed.

You must know the other person's BB PIN to send them a PIN to PIN message.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:17 AM   #24
jbairdjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Default Word to the wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zro
PIN messages do touch the BlackBerry infrastructure, but only in a routing sense. They are not tracked or logged there.
Always remember that just because a carrier says it doesn't get logged, doesn't always mean its the truth.
In forensics training (I work Criminal Investiations for our Sheriff's Office), we were told that IM messages, cell phone text messaes, and the like only "bounce" through the providers servers. In other words, no logging, no record. This was the official stance of the carriers and ISPs.
But if you remember the Kobe Bryant sex assault case, the defense attorneys there were able to subpoena text messages from a cell phone belonging to the victim. This is contrary to what we were told by carriers.
SO, always remember in a digital world, its probably stored somewhere!
Old 04-02-2005, 04:44 PM   #25
mbn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zro
A company BlackBerry belongs to the Company. People seem to forget this at times. It is not for personal communication, personal email, conspiracy, whatever....companies just allow you to do this.
Zro
Zro, I agree that a company berry belongs to a company, if the company buys it for you, but I bought my own 7100g and ALLOWED my company to push work emails to the device. Now recently in addition to blocking pin-pin (which i happen to agree with) my company has now disallowed my webclient service book as of last week. Now that's restrictive!

The logic was that they cant stop work emails from being forwarded to an outside source from the berry. Isn't a BES designed specifically to keep the work and personal emails separate, by design. When I get an email on my device through the BES, I can't forward it using my webclient account on my device.

So...I originally bought the berry to consolidate all of my email (work and personal) into one place, and now I have to remove my new 7100g from the BES and make them buy me a work only device and carry 2 berries when i travel. The new rules and regs in the financial svcs industry are only making people crazy, and lawyers rich. Thanks Eliot Spitzer, you Pri*k.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:11 PM   #26
PingGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

And Sarbanes-Oxeley (sp?) ruins another persons life.. oh they joy.

Previous: Nextel BB7520 w/ Plantronics Discovery 640
Old 04-03-2005, 02:35 AM   #27
J0dest3r

Model: 8830
Carrier: Telus

Any more ideas on the Decryption failure probem? Its very strange, I had a 7750 with the same symptoms but then I upgraded to a 7250, and PIN worked fine. Another person in the company had a 7750 and PIN worked fine but then upgraded to 7250 and is now having problems. Neither of our BES settings have been touched.

If he gets a PIN and responds to it, the person he responded to gets a Decryption failure error message on the screen instead of the message. regenerating the encryption key doesn't help.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:14 AM   #28
loonews
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0dest3r
Any more ideas on the Decryption failure probem? Its very strange, I had a 7750 with the same symptoms but then I upgraded to a 7250, and PIN worked fine. Another person in the company had a 7750 and PIN worked fine but then upgraded to 7250 and is now having problems. Neither of our BES settings have been touched.

If he gets a PIN and responds to it, the person he responded to gets a Decryption failure error message on the screen instead of the message. regenerating the encryption key doesn't help.
Found it, see here http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=5851
Old 04-04-2005, 04:25 AM   #29
MooseNYC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Default S.o. *#@)*$*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingGuy
And Sarbanes-Oxeley (sp?) ruins another persons life.. oh they joy.
Yeah and that really pisses me off!!! That S-O crap isn't a law but only a thought of 'what the future might hold for computer security' The problem is that all these companies including mine are worried about a third party auditing firm using this as a 'standard' and its not even law, so we implement all these new rules which d*%k up everyones user rights... uhg... I can go on.. and Im only an end user.. not an IT type.
<breathe> .....
<Sigh>
All better now

Regards,

Dave

PS - I whole heartly agree with that Elliot Spitzer comment
Old 04-04-2005, 04:35 AM   #30
loonews
Thumbs Must Hurt

I as a network engineer and the BES admin, went to bat for our users. This is normally something I don't do as most of the time they whine, complain and just plain ***** over trivial things while all the time never realizing what they do have and the endless days and nights we spend up there to give that to them. All that aside, I went to legal and compliance and told them they really had two choices.

Choice 1: you buy all the devices and pay the service costs for the users, this way we have "ownership" and I'll be glad to impliment any rule you feel needs to be in place.

Choice 2: If you aren't goign to pay for the device but want to allow users to get their mail on them, you have no right to turn anything off, they are their devices etc. Would be much the same as telling them we are locking down their home PC because they have remote access from it, they'd never do that.

So in the end, company won't pay for the the devices, I allow the users to do what they like on them with the understanding if they screw it up it won't be on the top of my list to fix but that it is fixable, so try what you want.

So yea they do jack'em up now and then, however from an IT perspective the users love the devices way more when they can enjoy them to their extent.

You can't make someone buy a blue car or paint their car blue so that everyone at work has the same color car if yer not going to buy their car for them, know what I mean

If the company pays for the device they have every right to lock it down as hard as they want, and they should.

Without ownership the legals will fall on the user, sure the company may get sued as a side effect, but the company is not solely responsible for what happenes on equipment they do not control.

My feelings and my feelings only, the SEC has jacked us so hard so many times it's not even laughable anymore, but in the end, if you want to make money you have to keep the money makers happy
Old 04-04-2005, 12:09 PM   #31
mbn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: at&t

I gave my compliance guys until Thursday to allow my webclient service book. If they don't, I'm going to take MY device off the BES and I will be free of work emails when I'm traveling. Every time I leave the office something important happens that I need to be in touch with people, so it will be their mistake....

Loonews, IMO you have the right attitude on this issue.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:13 AM   #32
NovaM
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: 30EC2A70
Carrier: Telus Mobility

From what I understand, PIN is an hardware ID different on every single RIM handheld. Think of it like an IP address online, when you send a PIN message, the message is sent RIM to RIM, via your service provider, to the blackberry network, and then back to a wireless provider. The information in a PIN message, is encrypted, and decrypted on either end by the RIM handheld. The data sent from the handheld is just packet data to your service provider, not mail, or any other type of message.
Taking the line of thought of the internet, IP to IP, the information CAN be intercepted, but is really unlikely, as you'd either have to have direct access to either your service providers link to Blackberry, or Blackberry's link to the service providers. It IS blazingly fast, as someone stated earlier, as there are only RIM's dedicated Blackberry servers to handle the message traffic.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:36 AM   #33
aau007
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseNYC
Yeah and that really pisses me off!!! That S-O crap isn't a law but only a thought of 'what the future might hold for computer security' The problem is that all these companies including mine are worried about a third party auditing firm using this as a 'standard' and its not even law, so we implement all these new rules which d*%k up everyones user rights... uhg... I can go on.. and Im only an end user.. not an IT type.
<breathe> .....
<Sigh>
All better now

Regards,

Dave

PS - I whole heartly agree with that Elliot Spitzer comment
What makes you think SOX is not a law? Are you just trying to be technical about what a 'law' is? You really should talk to your company lawyers. If your company falls under SOX ruling and you are not in compliance, SEC can come in and shut your whole company down. Law or not law, that's a fact.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:08 PM   #34
ajg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: M600i
Carrier: T-Mobile

So I'm kinda new to Blackberry. Other than security, and that is very important to me even thought no one would really care to read my messages, what advantages does PIN messaging have over SMS? And in addition to that, I know that SMS seems to have a character limit; does PIN messaging work more like email with no limitations or is it more like SMS? Can an attachment be sent via PIN messaging? Thanks for any info!
Old 08-14-2005, 06:26 PM   #35
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

yes you can send any length pins and yes you can attach address and such to pins
Old 08-15-2005, 06:07 PM   #36
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8520
Carrier: TMO

My friend has a Nextel 7520 and I have a 6230 on T-mobile. He can save my PIN but when I try to type his in, the fourth character on my BB will not allow me to type his number in. (his PIN is only numbers, no letters) It will only accept a letter. He can send a PIN, but I can't. Is there a way around this?

BB 6230 BWC - OS 4.0.0.185 TMO

Last edited by dkf747; 08-15-2005 at 06:09 PM..
Old 08-15-2005, 09:18 PM   #37
gina-lisa

i just downloaded bb messenger lastnight
Old 08-15-2005, 10:32 PM   #38
iamchrismullins
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

G-L..what carrier are you on? I have it loaded on cingular but i have read/heard it doesnt work on cingular...
working for you/on your carrier?

Been there: PDA/Palm/Handspring/Treo, motorola, nokia, t-mobile, BB 970,975,7100, motorola BK devices
Old 08-15-2005, 11:11 PM   #39
JohnT

Model: 7100g

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg
So I'm kinda new to Blackberry. Other than security, and that is very important to me even thought no one would really care to read my messages, what advantages does PIN messaging have over SMS?
PIN messages are standard data, so they're usually free. SMS costs some amount, often 10 to 50 cents per message.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:20 PM   #40
johnBB

Model: 7520
Default Pin?

How do I do a PIN
Closed Thread