BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 04:28 PM   #1
utopia1107

Model: 7100T
Question Comparison: Blackberry Pearl 8100C (Cingular) vs. 8100t (Tmobile)

Please Login to Remove!

Other than the looks, what else is different between the two? The only noticeable one was the fact that Cingular comes with GPSmaps loaded while the ones from TMo does not and that the former allows for Pusht-To-Talk (what is that??!!) while the latter does not. Can somebody please explain? Thanks much.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:45 PM   #2
phidauex
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile US

There isn't much real difference. Just the software version loaded.

The Tmobile Pearl does include the BBMaps application and does work with GPS units. Push-to-talk is a cingular-only service that lets you use the phone like a walkie talkie. IE, you select someone, and then just push the button to talk to them. However, even a tmobile phone that is unlocked can have the PTT software installed on it so it will work on the cingular network push-to-talk system.

Basically, there are almost no differences, and even those can be changed by loading different software versions and applications.

peace,
sam
Old 12-23-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
yg17
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.0.6540/1558; en; U; ssr))

The tmo version comes with good cell and customer service :D
Old 12-23-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-mobile

Actually, I heard Cingular don't have very good customer service.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:23 PM   #5
utopia1107

Model: 7100T
Default Thanks.

Thanks you guys, this really helps!
Old 12-23-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
yg17
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrecyguy
Actually, I heard Cingular don't have very good customer service.
Nope, they sure don't
Old 12-23-2006, 06:50 PM   #7
simkin9999
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c

Get a corporate account, buy a thousand devices, and a dedicated rep. That's what I did. All so I could get customer service. Oh, and so some executives could have some phones and blackberries, I guess.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:28 PM   #8
Dyffwd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by yg17
Wirelessly posted (Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.0.6540/1558; en; U; ssr))

The tmo version comes with good cell and customer service :D
QFT

I've been with TMo for 5 years now, first as Pay as you go, now with a full Family Plan with BB Internet service for me.

AT&T has always stunk on ice, and I don't think selling out to or merging with someone else, or changing their name, or really anything else they can do will help. When you are so big you don't care about your customers any more there's not much that can be done except to split your company into a thousand pieces and make you compete with someone else.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:36 PM   #9
yg17
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyffwd
QFT

I've been with TMo for 5 years now, first as Pay as you go, now with a full Family Plan with BB Internet service for me.

AT&T has always stunk on ice, and I don't think selling out to or merging with someone else, or changing their name, or really anything else they can do will help. When you are so big you don't care about your customers any more there's not much that can be done except to split your company into a thousand pieces and make you compete with someone else.
We started out on ATT Blue GSM, and they were good. Then Cingular bought them out, and we were given the option of signing up with Cingular Orange and breaking our ATT contract with no ETF. We wanted to add a line, get a family shared plan, and upgrade phones, so we did that. And I guess they're still 2 separate GSM networks, because Cingular SUCKED. Customer service was useless, but more importantly, the cellular service was junk. Our contract expired today, and we wasted no time getting away from them, we were at the T-Mo store at 9 AM this morning right when they opened. The port just finished up about 5 hours ago, so we're now 100% on T-Mobile and have no regrets.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:08 PM   #10
annoyed

Carrier: expensive

I just got both from Amazon. While cingular is $20/mo more expensive with fewer minutes (BIS and 900 vs. 1000 minutes), the cingular coverage is much better at my house. I like the appearance slightly better on the cingular pearl, specifically the gray (which looks white with the backlight) instead of two-tone keys.

I don't like either provider's theme.

I think the tmobile one came with some IM software, but I don't IM so I didn't pay any attention.

Other than that I can't really see any difference between them.

Could someone elaborate on the customer service issues? In the last few years all I can remember calling CS about was to see if my contract was up yet.

I really really like this phone so far.
-K
Old 12-23-2006, 08:12 PM   #11
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by yg17
Our contract expired today, and we wasted no time getting away from them, we were at the T-Mo store at 9 AM this morning right when they opened. The port just finished up about 5 hours ago, so we're now 100% on T-Mobile and have no regrets.
I have been with all the carriers. All of them sucked. CSR's were rude, unprofessional and/or incompetent.

I signed up with T-Mo about two years ago. I will pay extra for good service. I am so pleased with T-Mo I don't even bother looking at competitor prices, TV ads and come-ons.

To stay on topic, the two phones are the same, only software features are different. The Cingular case also has a different look.

Bonus Tip: IMHO, anyone within the time period to return a Cingular Pearl should do so and sign up with T-Mo. [Assuming T-Mo service works well in your area].
Old 12-23-2006, 08:20 PM   #12
SanFrancisco

PIN: HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by annoyed
Could someone elaborate on the customer service issues? In the last few years all I can remember calling CS about was to see if my contract was up yet.

-K
There are lots of examples, too many to talk about. But here are some examples of T-MO:

Look throughout these threads and you will find Members who have called T-Mo and the CSR's have answered the phone quickly and treated them with courtesy and respect.

But most amazing is how they handle tech support calls. There are Members who say they have called T-Mo tech support for help on the Pearl and the tech support people have spent one to three hours on the phone to work through problems.

I do not know of any company that provides that kind of help. For me, that is worth paying extra for.

Also, I had to make a warranty exchange on my Pearl. The CSR did not give me a ration of sheet and sent me a new phone that arrived the next day.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:57 PM   #13
k-man61

Default Satisfied with T-Mo

Count me as a very satisfied T-Mobile customer. I too was an old AT&T customer (going back to SunCom days) then switched over to Cingular after the merger. I no longer could receive a good cell signal at my office or home. Cingular was unwilling to offer any assistance whatsoever.

Cancelled my contract within the grace period at Cingular and have been with T-Mobile for the last three years. As of very recent I am now a first time BB user and love my Pearl.

If you can receive a good signal with T-Mo definitely go with them over Cingular. You will not regret it.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:54 PM   #14
showtime775

PIN: 204BE542
Carrier: T Mobile

I'm a T-Mobile customer and every now and then I like to look at the rates of the other wireless providers just to make myself feel good. It amazes me how much more I would spend for a lesser plan with these other carriers. This may be elsewhere on the forum but I'm going to go through it anyway.

Here's my plan and costs on T Mobile:
1000 Anytime unlimited Nights and Weekends- $49.99
Unlimited Blackberry data package - $19.99
Any 400 messages - $4.99
Unlimited Mobile to Mobile -$6.99
Tethering - $FREE
Total - $81.99 before my discount.

By the way call your wireless provider and ask them about a discount for whatever company you work for. They may not have one but some are very good.

Comparable plan for:

Cingular:
900 minutes Unlimited Nights & Weekends - $59.99
Unlimited Blackberry Data - $34.99
200 Text Messages - $4.99
Unlimited Mobile to Mobile - $FREE
Tethering - $79.99
Total - 179.96

Sprint:
900 minutes Unlimited nights and weekends- $59.99
Unlimited Blackberry Data - $39.99
300 Text messages - $5.00
Tethering - $FREE
Total - $104.98

Verizon:
1350 minutes (next lowest was only 450 minutes and $30 cheaper) unlimited data, unlimited mobile to mobile, unlimited nights and weekends (start at 7pm) - $109.99
500 text messages (unlimited IN messages) - $10.00
Tethering - $15.00
Total - $134.99

The only advantages that all of the other providers have over T Mobile is faster networks, for now. Coverage varies depending on where you are located so that can't be considered an advantage for anyone. Not trying to knock anyone's choice of provider, just showing why I chose T Mobile over all the others. I was at Sprint for years before I decided to do the research and switch.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:12 PM   #15
maikur

Good comparison, although it should be pointed out that Cingular has rollover. In fact, my current Cingular plan is from ages ago, when cell services were far cheaper than they are now... $49.99 for 1500 anytime minutes WITH rollover - I've got like 5000 or 6000 minutes stored up... I long ago learned the hard way to sign up for a plan that offers more minutes than you need, because there will always be that odd month where you go over.. and you have the joy of receiving a $200 + cell bill. The extra $10 per month for minutes you don't need is like insurance. Anyway...

The thing that made me finally break from Cingular is the desire to own a Blackberry Pearl. I can get one for free from T-Mobile, and their data plan is far cheaper than with Cingular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime775
I'm a T-Mobile customer and every now and then I like to look at the rates of the other wireless providers just to make myself feel good. It amazes me how much more I would spend for a lesser plan with these other carriers. This may be elsewhere on the forum but I'm going to go through it anyway.

Here's my plan and costs on T Mobile:
1000 Anytime unlimited Nights and Weekends- $49.99
Unlimited Blackberry data package - $19.99
Any 400 messages - $4.99
Unlimited Mobile to Mobile -$6.99
Tethering - $FREE
Total - $81.99 before my discount.

By the way call your wireless provider and ask them about a discount for whatever company you work for. They may not have one but some are very good.

Comparable plan for:

Cingular:
900 minutes Unlimited Nights & Weekends - $59.99
Unlimited Blackberry Data - $34.99
200 Text Messages - $4.99
Tethering - $79.99
Total - 179.96

Sprint:
900 minutes Unlimited nights and weekends- $59.99
Unlimited Blackberry Data - $39.99
300 Text messages - $5.00
Tethering - $FREE
Total - $104.98

Verizon:
1350 minutes (next lowest was only 450 minutes and $30 cheaper) unlimited data, unlimited mobile to mobile, unlimited nights and weekends (start at 7pm) - $109.99
500 text messages (unlimited IN messages) - $10.00
Tethering - $15.00
Total - $134.99

The only advantages that all of the other providers have over T Mobile is faster networks, for now. Coverage varies depending on where you are located so that can't be considered an advantage for anyone. Not trying to knock anyone's choice of provider, just showing why I chose T Mobile over all the others. I was at Sprint for years before I decided to do the research and switch.

Last edited by maikur; 12-23-2006 at 10:15 PM..
Old 12-23-2006, 10:31 PM   #16
showtime775

PIN: 204BE542
Carrier: T Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by maikur
Good comparison, although it should be pointed out that Cingular has rollover. In fact, my current Cingular plan is from ages ago, when cell services were far cheaper than they are now... $49.99 for 1500 anytime minutes WITH rollover - I've got like 5000 or 6000 minutes stored up... I long ago learned the hard way to sign up for a plan that offers more minutes than you need, because there will always be that odd month where you go over.. and you have the joy of receiving a $200 + cell bill. The extra $10 per month for minutes you don't need is like insurance. Anyway...

The thing that made me finally break from Cingular is the desire to own a Blackberry Pearl. I can get one for free from T-Mobile, and their data plan is far cheaper than with Cingular.
Yeah rollover is nice but I haven't gone over my minutes for years, even when I had sprint. I usually use 750 - 950 minutes a month so I would probably never get to enjoy those extra rollover minutes anyway. And I would still have to get the 900 minute plan with Cingular.

How did you get a free Pearl from T Mo?
Old 12-23-2006, 11:12 PM   #17
RoadRider
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

I thought this thread was about two versions of the Pearl, not a comparison of a loose spider web of a network and a densely covered network that some perceive as having a lower level of service.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:44 PM   #18
Dyffwd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by annoyed
I just got both from Amazon. While cingular is $20/mo more expensive with fewer minutes (BIS and 900 vs. 1000 minutes), the cingular coverage is much better at my house. I like the appearance slightly better on the cingular pearl, specifically the gray (which looks white with the backlight) instead of two-tone keys.

I don't like either provider's theme.

I think the tmobile one came with some IM software, but I don't IM so I didn't pay any attention.

Other than that I can't really see any difference between them.

-K
You've had several examples of customer service, let me just say this in Cingular's defense. T-Mobile's network is EXTREMELY well built up in urban areas, but coverage is almost nonexistant in rural ones. I was hoping to save up and get a phone with multiple technologies (Sony-Ericson P990 will recieve WCDMA as well as GSM/GPRS) to remedy this, but my current phone had other plans.

Sorry about the thread-jack.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:28 AM   #19
beninark
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

hey guys, I appreciate the excursion to the realm of talking about the carriers.

I liked hearing all the information about them.

Cingular is all I have here in arkansas so I am stuck with them, but in the future...well we will see, maybe cingular will become more competitive or something some day?

Any idea if there are sites that speculate on upcoming price changes to cellular services?
Old 12-24-2006, 01:47 AM   #20
Dyffwd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninark
hey guys, I appreciate the excursion to the realm of talking about the carriers.

I liked hearing all the information about them.

Cingular is all I have here in arkansas so I am stuck with them, but in the future...well we will see, maybe cingular will become more competitive or something some day?

Any idea if there are sites that speculate on upcoming price changes to cellular services?
You could ask on the Howard Forums.
Closed Thread