BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 10:05 AM   #1
BACALAO

Default Just Got My BB 7520 - My Experience and Questions

Please Login to Remove!

First off, I was very impressed b/c I got this thing the next day from when I ordered it.

Secondly, NEXTEL CS sucks. They know absolutely nothing about the BB. I told them that I wanted to use my i860 sim in the BB and they said it would void the warranty, and wouldn't work correctly. So I had them add the BB plan to it anyhow.

I got my contacts from my i860 transferred over but I can't get email up and running. I set up an account on Blackberry Web Client.

I cannot get either my work account or Yahoo mail connected to the BB, and Iv'e read thru a ton of post and still can't figure it out.

When I installed the BB software on my work PC, I used the BES option. Here at work, they have a BES, but they have BBs thru Verizon or Cingular, I forget which one. Anyhow, I get the following in my work email :

Quote:
This message is used to carry data between the BlackBerry Handheld and an associated server. Please do not delete, move or respond to this message - it will be processed by the server.
It had a file ETP.dat, attached to it. It was from "network@etp03.etp.na.blackberry.net"

What do I have to do so that I can have the BES transfer my work email to my PC? Will this happen automatically? What's up with this message?

Also, how do I get my yahoo email to go to my BB? Do I really have to "enable POP" on my yahoo account? That's like a $20 / year fee. Is there any other way?
Old 03-31-2005, 10:14 AM   #2
PhilMax
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100g

Can't answer your questions about the BES. On the Yahoo mail, the only thing you could do if you don't want to pay the $20/yr for POP access or forwarding is to go to your Yahoo mail through your BB browser.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:12 AM   #3
sheakt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

Have you talked with the person who adminsiters the BES Server at your work?

I believe that there is some setup required on the server as well before you will be able to access the BES....

--K
Old 03-31-2005, 11:17 AM   #4
Brad00111

Model: 8300C
Carrier: ATT

It usually takes 2-3 Days for the data to provision, most people cannot get data to work the first day they activate the phone, wait a couple days, then see how it goes.

RIM 950 > Nextel 6510 > Nextel 7520 > Cingular 7100 > Cingular 8700 > Cingular 8800 > Cingular 8300
Old 03-31-2005, 11:23 AM   #5
Brad00111

Model: 8300C
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACALAO
What do I have to do so that I can have the BES transfer my work email to my PC? Will this happen automatically? What's up with this message?

Also, how do I get my yahoo email to go to my BB? Do I really have to "enable POP" on my yahoo account? That's like a $20 / year fee. Is there any other way?

For the BES, I think you have to setup Outlook to pull from the BES. I do not have a corporate BES but a private one, I setup Outlook to pull from a Microsoft Exchange Server and it then pulls all my info, email etc. You will have to get the server settings from your IT guy.

As for yahoo, you may just want to forward your yahoo emails to your work account. With the BES you should receive any emails you get through yahoo very fast depending on how long it takes for yahoo to forward your messages. There are programs out there that will let you change the reply to address so that you can have the right messages sent to the right account. Do a search on the boards for Reply-to and you will find the program, my mind is drawing a blank right now.

RIM 950 > Nextel 6510 > Nextel 7520 > Cingular 7100 > Cingular 8700 > Cingular 8800 > Cingular 8300
Old 03-31-2005, 02:18 PM   #6
yahtzee
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9650

Quote:
First off, I was very impressed b/c I got this thing the next day from when I ordered it.

Secondly, NEXTEL CS sucks. They know absolutely nothing about the BB. I told them that I wanted to use my i860 sim in the BB and they said it would void the warranty, and wouldn't work correctly. So I had them add the BB plan to it anyhow.
Its CUSTOMER SERVICE not technical support....you have to have the BB plan if you want email. period. why try to skate the system?

Quote:
When I installed the BB software on my work PC, I used the BES option. Here at work, they have a BES, but they have BBs thru Verizon or Cingular, I forget which one. Anyhow, I get the following in my work email :

It had a file ETP.dat, attached to it. It was from "network@etp03.etp.na.blackberry.net"

You are setup at work for Desktop Redirector as they messages indicate. Those are called "flycatcher messages" and they go into your exchange email, grab each message and "redirect" it to your handheld. The message will delete itself shortly. Regarding the BES, your BES admin has to physically add you to the BES - you cant just hop on it....
Old 03-31-2005, 03:20 PM   #7
ToddziLLa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

Yes, you have to enable POP on your Yahoo (*cough* Gmail's is free) or forward it somewhere else.

As stated above, full data capabilities usually takes a couple of days (took me 2 full business days).

I got tons of those messages before I figured out what was wrong. I installed the BB software on my computer to include Desktop Redirector as I thought that was what I was going to be using. I later switched to BWC. When you hook up your BB to your computer via the USB cable, if you have Desktop Redirector installed it puts 2 packets on your phone that start with "Desktop..."

If you are using BWC, you first have to delete those packets from your BB then , before the next time you hook up your BB, modify your BB software installation to NOT include Redirector via Add/Remove Programs.
Closed Thread