Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
Sottozero
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130e
Default BB Messenger question

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all.

I'm having problems with BB Messenger. I have an 8700c and I'm on Verizon.

I IM a lot with another person on Verizon, and yesterday I changed my display name (via "Edit My Info") and it somehow messed BB Messenger up. Now, when I go to add him again, my request just sits in pending, even though he accepts. Same when he invites me. It was working fine before.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled the BB Messenger software. No luck. I have removed the battery from my device to force a hard reboot. No luck either.

So, that's one problem.

My second problem is really more of a question. I'm trying to get private chat, something that's routed through Verizon's network and NOT our company's BES. Is there such a thing? I've been under the impression that BB Messenger is not routed through BES. I use my contact's "name@vzw.blackberry.net" address, and he uses mine. Still, when he does a "Contact Info" on me, my corporate email addy comes up.

Is there a way to force PIN to PIN communication? I see no option for this. When I add a contact, I have to choose someone in my address book and then select an email address.

Really, though, I want private chat, with private meaning not running through BES, but instead Verizon, or Verizon's MDS network.

Can anyone help? Thanks!
Old 12-15-2006, 11:05 AM   #2
MobileRC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

First issue, ive had this before, I just kept adding them, if it didnt work, I'd delete the user (which would be showing under pending) then re add them. and I would continue to do this until they got added.

Second issue, messenger uses the PIN messaging backbone so it goes your device, wireless network, recipients device. But that brings up a good question, with the new bes they can log pin to pin, but does that log messenger convos? The invite process is just to get the invitation through, it doesnt determine how your conversations are transmitted, they are all through PIN.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
Sottozero

I've deleted the user a dozen times over, added him again, uninstalled the app, rebooted the device, reinstalled -- you name it. Nothing works.

I'm reading more and more about about BB Messenger isn't private AT ALL and can be monitored by BES with relative ease.

I'm looking for a chat client that doesn't use BES at all. Not one bit.

I also have other questions, now that I'm thinking about this stuff:

* emails to my "name@vzw.blackberry.net" address -- are those private, meaning not routed through BES?

* what about SMS messages? No BES?

* internet browser sessions (not BB browser)? No BES?

Finally: what chat client is FOR SURE private and NOT routed through BES? There has got to be one.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:18 AM   #4
MobileRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sottozero
I've deleted the user a dozen times over, added him again, uninstalled the app, rebooted the device, reinstalled -- you name it. Nothing works.

I'm reading more and more about about BB Messenger isn't private AT ALL and can be monitored by BES with relative ease.

I'm looking for a chat client that doesn't use BES at all. Not one bit.

I also have other questions, now that I'm thinking about this stuff:

* emails to my "name@vzw.blackberry.net" address -- are those private, meaning not routed through BES?

* what about SMS messages? No BES?

* internet browser sessions (not BB browser)? No BES?

Finally: what chat client is FOR SURE private and NOT routed through BES? There has got to be one.
emails to your bis account do not go through the bes.

sms does not go through the bes, unless their bes has sms logging enabled.

there are 3 browsers, internet browser, blackberry browser and wap browser. From what I understand "Blackberry Browser" goes through the bes and routes through your organizations web server. Internet browser goes through the internet directly without bes interaction (and I believe wap browser does the same)

Cant help you much with chat clients, sorry.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:20 AM   #5
MobileRC

oh and when you add the person it should give you choices if you want to add them through email or through pin, adding through pin usually works eventually. Email, not as successful in my experiences.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:22 AM   #6
Sottozero

It is *imperative* that my chats don't get logged by my BES. I'm in the process of looking for another job, and for obvious reasons it'd be bad if someone could see what I'm chatting about.

Also, with BB messenger, I get no PIN option. Just email. v1.0.94 or something like that.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:31 AM   #7
MobileRC

Do you have a pin for that user in your address book? You need to put their pin in their contact info within the bb before you can add them using pin.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:33 AM   #8
Sottozero

mobileRC -- i don't. That might be the issue. Here's a dumb question: where do I find one's PIN?

Also -- is PIN to PIN private, meaning not intercepted by BES? I assume it goes over the carrier network, not BES. Right? Or is that assumption wrong?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:37 AM   #9
MobileRC

Get the person to go to Options, then Status and it is listed there. Easier way is to get them to compose a message to you and type "mypin" (without the quotations) and then press space bar. It will display their pin then they can just click Send and you will get their pin.

Well same with SMS, PINs could potentially be logged by the BES, depends if they have this enabled or have the version that allows the logging.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:24 PM   #10
Sottozero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileRC
Get the person to go to Options, then Status and it is listed there. Easier way is to get them to compose a message to you and type "mypin" (without the quotations) and then press space bar. It will display their pin then they can just click Send and you will get their pin.

Well same with SMS, PINs could potentially be logged by the BES, depends if they have this enabled or have the version that allows the logging.
Would rather not take that chance. No idea if PINs are logged. Is there a way to force them around the BES?

I'm guessing not.

I'd love to know if there's a chat client out there that avoids the BES entirely. IM+, Yak, etc.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:42 PM   #11
kelvin

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW

Its been said here may times - assume you have NO PRIVACY with anything you do on any device on you do not own or is on BES. If you want a 100% guarantee that your conversations are not logged, do NOT use a company owned device. Buy another BB or use a cell phone.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:05 PM   #12
Sottozero

kelvin -- i own my BB. My company does not. I only have my BB activated through my BES so my Outlook email flows to it.

I have many other email addys linked to it through BIS.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:50 PM   #13
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900

If it's on the BES, assume that everything is logged.

Assume that e-mails are monitored.
Assume that voicemail to your office phone can be listened to.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:30 PM   #14
Sottozero

What about my BIS accounts? The account that goes to my "name@vzw.blackberry.net"? That's all personal email.

Is there a chat client for BB that can circumvent BES? There has GOT to be. This is my device, not my company's.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:27 PM   #15
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

When you put it on the company BES it becomes their device!!
Old 12-18-2006, 08:10 AM   #16
kelvin

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW

John is correct - if you put it on the company owned BES, you agree to accept the way they operate (read - IT policies). Seems to me you have one choice (since you say you own the device) - ask to be removed from the BES. You lose access to your email but you will be able to look for your new job in relative secrecy.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:50 AM   #17
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Assume that nothing is private on a company BES-connected Blackberry. Whether you own the Blackberry itself or not is irrelevant. As long as it's connected to a company BES they have an incredible amount of control over the device. If something must be private then keep it off of a BES-connected BB.
Closed Thread