Old 12-12-2006, 10:01 PM   #41
Fungineer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdo99
the legal battles for IPR in the 3G standard (WCDMA or CDMA2000) is ongoing right now. QCOM vs NOK, QCOM vs BDCM, ERIC vs SAM and...ahem (shameless plug)...IDCC vs NOK. once the legal dust settles and FRAND royalty rates are AGREED upon by the big boys, RIM can sign a 3G license. i doubt RIM would make a 3G phone before they were on sound legal ground. we all know what happened last time RIM got into an IPR fight.
RIM already made a GSM/UMTS device - the 8707. It's only sold in european markets because of the fequency bands it supports.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:29 AM   #42
Scott403540
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular

I really want to go with the 8800 the day it comes out - the only thing holding me back is the lack of UMTS/HSDPA. I've even started thinking about going with the *gasp* Treo 750 when it comes out and I've considered the Blackjack just for this reason. I love my Blackberry and want to stay in the Blackberry family, but the technology is becoming more and more available. I'm hoping RIM puts out a unit that takes advantage of it - and soon!
Old 12-14-2006, 07:55 AM   #43
david_uk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Vodafone

I'm confused. Voda UK already sells the 8707v which supports UMTS. So is 3G licensing a local issue? And if not, it seems strange that the 8800 will not support 3G since RIM have already been there, done that and got the red T-shirt.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:44 AM   #44
musicphraze

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Good morning, first time user and I have to admit I don't have a blackberry. I use a Treo, but I am wailing and gnashing of the teeth, to get my hands on the 8800 for Cingular. Will it be 3g or rather 3.5g? I hear the Asian market is moving ahead to 3.75g early 2007. The WiFi is great, but I want to take advantage of Cingularxxx8217;s Broadband connect speed. Since I am a newbie, forgive me for asking what may already have been answered, but I am excited about the possibilities with buying and working with the 8800.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:11 PM   #45
Fungineer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicphraze
Good morning, first time user and I have to admit I don't have a blackberry. I use a Treo, but I am wailing and gnashing of the teeth, to get my hands on the 8800 for Cingular. Will it be 3g or rather 3.5g? I hear the Asian market is moving ahead to 3.75g early 2007. The WiFi is great, but I want to take advantage of Cingular’s Broadband connect speed. Since I am a newbie, forgive me for asking what may already have been answered, but I am excited about the possibilities with buying and working with the 8800.
From what is known/assumed about this device, it will support EDGE and WiFi. It will not support either UMTS or HSDPA
Old 12-15-2006, 09:21 AM   #46
musicphraze

Default Why no Umts/Hsdpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungineer
From what is known/assumed about this device, it will support EDGE and WiFi. It will not support either UMTS or HSDPA
Thanks fun, but this would be a deal breaker for me. It would be like buying a gas guzzling SUV when everyone else is making hybrids. It makes no sense to me and it is very disappointing. Now I here Asia and Europe is starting on their 3.75g(HSUPA) once again leaving America in the dust. What is wrong with us? We were once the cream of the crop now we are falling into slop.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:09 PM   #47
yunone
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

because more money can be made that way as we as consumers like upgrades and we like to spend money on new devices in steps. WE do it, so they are happy to sell to us in that fashion.

i am a typical American consumer and work in the wireless world and a gadget fiend. I like the newest stuff as thats the coolest to me and millions of other tech junkies

you can always spot a non tech junkie as they are rocking the bb 7290

i have gone from bb 7290 to 7100 to smt 5600 to bb 8700 to treo 750 for a month to bb pearl all in just my last two years.

the market likes american consumers as they like to buy in upgrades and not in stages. weird wacky world we live in
Old 12-18-2006, 09:36 AM   #48
musicphraze

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunone
because more money can be made that way as we as consumers like upgrades and we like to spend money on new devices in steps. WE do it, so they are happy to sell to us in that fashion.

i am a typical American consumer and work in the wireless world and a gadget fiend. I like the newest stuff as thats the coolest to me and millions of other tech junkies

you can always spot a non tech junkie as they are rocking the bb 7290

i have gone from bb 7290 to 7100 to smt 5600 to bb 8700 to treo 750 for a month to bb pearl all in just my last two years.

the market likes american consumers as they like to buy in upgrades and not in stages. weird wacky world we live in
They have a name for that type of consumer, it's called sucker(LOL) just playing. I love gadgets, and I am always chasing the next greatest thing, but I refuse to buy a crippled device or one that is (DOA). I am not asking for the holy grail of smartphones, but it would be unwise to shell out that much money on a device that you know will be obsolete in less than 6 months. Look at how people feel about the Treo series, and I am one of the suckers who bit the bullet, Never again, I say never again.