Handango link to Photo Viewer/Album

But limits to only 6 pictures?!

[Edited by Mark Rejhon: Shortened URL to eliminate horizontal scrolling]
Old 09-15-2004, 05:37 PM   #2
kirson
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Check out Terratial.com -- they have anumber of solutions. Also, if you are up to the technical challenge, there is an open code application written by Klaus Thiele, that will let you do this yourself for free. Search this forum for "Klaus" -- I have posted the link to his application quite recently on one of these threads...
Old 09-15-2004, 09:41 PM   #3
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

Look at the screensaver thread, I posted the link for Klaus' program there
Old 09-15-2004, 09:48 PM   #4
kirson

bfrye, I sent a PM with the link to Guess -- I suggested he put the applciation in our Downloads section. If I remember correctly, you posted links to the RIM JDE and the Java SDK as well -- I don't think we can put THOSE monsters in our Downloads section, but perhaps you could PMGuess those links and he could put them in the description of the application, so that folks could easily access them at the same time they are downloading this app...
Old 09-15-2004, 10:01 PM   #5
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Sure, not a problem...

I'm wondering how hard it would be to setup a website to upload the images, compile them and return the .cod file to an email addy.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:10 PM   #6
kirson

I have thought about that quite a bit. Not super hard, but not super easy. You need to have the images added to the Java file, then added into the Blackberry Project, then compiled. I'm not sure I know how to automate the process of running the JDE in order to import the images into the project and run the compiler.

I do think we could manage a REALLY good manual that would walk people through the entire process. With links to all the necessary components, screen shots, etc. I have been toying with that idea for a while.

Also, I made some chages to the signed portion of the application -- adding the ability to browse FORWARD, BACKWARDS, JUMP TO FIRST and JUMP TO LAST, and then got it resigned -- only problem is that I also collapsed it into one module, so you can no longer edit the pictures without resigning the app. I may try to make my other changes in Klaus' original format, and then get THAT resigned once. Do you think anyone will have any interest in those changes?
Old 09-15-2004, 10:17 PM   #7
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Not necessarily, I don't think you would need to open the JDE really. Couldn't you compile it just the same by command line?

On your second point, you're almost developing it into a separate application as a picture viewer instead of a screensaver. What WOULD be cool is to be able to use it in conjuction with the saved file on the blackberry with 4.0 or a 3rd party product such as eFile
Old 09-15-2004, 10:28 PM   #8
kirson

Yeah -- actually, my goal really was to have a picture viewer (or slideshow viewer, to be exact) -- I have very little use for an actual Screensaver, as the device is almost always holsterred on my hip.

I'm not sure if you could do the entire process with command lines -- probably, but that is way over my head.

I agree that access to saved files on the Blackberry would be HUGE. That is in a different stratosphere, though...
Old 09-16-2004, 05:54 AM   #9
eradis

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers

If I'm understanding correctly, you don't even require to compile the images into the cod file. Why not have a webserver get images based on a account download the images to the blackberry and have a viewer that can display the images. That is actually quite easy to do. You can then set up preferences in the viewer to act as a screensaver, slideshow, etc.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:06 AM   #10
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

With the package I'm talking about, you do have to compile the images into a separate "images" .cod file.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:15 AM   #11
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Curve
Carrier: tmo

I wonder if anyone is able to extract the photoviewer in OS4 to use under OS3?
Old 09-16-2004, 09:26 AM   #12
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Sneak me a copy of OS4 and I'll let ya know :P
Old 09-16-2004, 09:48 AM   #13
kirson

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradis
If I'm understanding correctly, you don't even require to compile the images into the cod file. Why not have a webserver get images based on a account download the images to the blackberry and have a viewer that can display the images. That is actually quite easy to do. You can then set up preferences in the viewer to act as a screensaver, slideshow, etc.
eradis -- are you saying that writing such a viewer is quite easy, or that if you ALREADY HAVE a viewer, then adding this feature is easy. If you mean the first -- could you take a crack at writing such an application? If you mean the second, then bfrye is correct -- the current application simply doesn't work that way.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:57 AM   #14
eradis

You could take the existing app and modify it to download and save the images to the devices memory. So instead of packaging the images with the application, the application could be pointed to use what ever image was in the devices memory ( very easy to do ), instead of the existing cod.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:05 AM   #15
eradis

The source code is available for that screensaver app.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:06 AM   #16
kirson

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradis
You could take the existing app and modify it to download and save the images to the devices memory. So instead of packaging the images with the application, the application could be pointed to use what ever image was in the devices memory ( very easy to do ), instead of the existing cod.
Do you have a code snipet I could test this out with? I am using 4.0, and have a number of images saved in the PICTURES application. If you can suggest some code that points at those images, I will try to incorporate it into the viewer. If I can get that to work, this could be made much simpler.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:06 PM   #17
mo-bile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hope we can get a viewer...don't really need a screensaver. I just want an easy drag and drop from desktop to BB and be able to view thumbnails and larger versions. Why hasn't this been done already?
Old 11-12-2006, 03:22 AM   #18
splashdata

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular
Default at long last, we offer you SplashPhoto

Please check out our BlackBerry port of SplashPhoto - the best selling photo viewer for the Palm OS, now available on your BlackBerry:

SplashPhoto for BlackBerry product page

Download a free 30 day trial

Screenshot:

Old 11-12-2006, 11:02 AM   #19
bjchantry

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Smile Works Great!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashdata
Please check out our BlackBerry port of SplashPhoto - the best selling photo viewer for the Palm OS, now available on your BlackBerry:

SplashPhoto for BlackBerry product page

Download a free 30 day trial

Screenshot:

http://www.splashdata.com/splashphot...thumb-view.jpg
I had this on my Palm and helped with the Beta testing of it for the BB, I can assure it works just as promised. Photos are synced easily and can even be emailed directly from within the application.
Closed Thread