Please Login to Remove!

Sweet mother of...

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 10-09-2006, 01:30 AM   #42
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Can't wait for this device... I just traded my 8100 back in for an 8703e.. Once again the device is cool but now the network is worse for me. I am thinking I may see how I feel after a week or so and then decide if it's going back or not. If it does go back, I'll live with my 7520 until the 8800 comes out and then I will jump ship for the non camera version as if it's the same camera hardware the 8100 has, it's not even worth having in my opinion.

Just hope it's not on cingular because of their incredible high pricing for high minute plans with tethering....
Old 11-07-2006, 02:09 PM   #43
romek

Model: 9000
PIN: 255C2D58
Carrier: BT

As a business device, I think the camera is a bad idea (or at least offer two version, one with, one without).

The MicroSD slot worries me too... 1GB size limit? Not good, especially since the phones/pda devices are moving towards GPS functionality. I would have made it MiniSD or even regular SD (I know they are physically bigger, but you can get 8GB now)

So far the cameras on the Blackberry devices has been very poor, 1.3MP is too small to really be useful. Regular phones have 3.2 standard now (at least here in Europe) and the new ones are 5MP and above, allowing you to completely replace your existing pocket camera.

Just some thoughts from a new member. I love my 8707v (though I actually like the colour of the 8700 more).
PIN: 2047623A

Last edited by romek; 11-07-2006 at 02:13 PM..
Old 11-08-2006, 05:12 AM   #44
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by romek
As a business device, I think the camera is a bad idea (or at least offer two version, one with, one without).

The MicroSD slot worries me too... 1GB size limit? Not good, especially since the phones/pda devices are moving towards GPS functionality. I would have made it MiniSD or even regular SD (I know they are physically bigger, but you can get 8GB now)

So far the cameras on the Blackberry devices has been very poor, 1.3MP is too small to really be useful. Regular phones have 3.2 standard now (at least here in Europe) and the new ones are 5MP and above, allowing you to completely replace your existing pocket camera.

Just some thoughts from a new member. I love my 8707v (though I actually like the colour of the 8700 more).

2 words to alleviate your security woes my friend. "SERVICE BOOKS" or how about BES Admins' "Security Policy".

RIM has thought of EVERYTHING!

Now imagine that location based services or enabled service books allow someone in the company that bought the 8800 themselves and got permission to be on the BES cannot USE their MicroSD card within the unit or in USB transfer mode or the Camera anywhere within let's say a 2mile radius?!! Now that would not only be cool or even Owellian, but also tight security!

Last edited by Jagga; 11-08-2006 at 05:14 AM..
Old 11-08-2006, 05:25 AM   #45
romek

Model: 9000
PIN: 255C2D58
Carrier: BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagga
2 words to alleviate your security woes my friend. "SERVICE BOOKS" or how about BES Admins' "Security Policy".

RIM has thought of EVERYTHING!

Now imagine that location based services or enabled service books allow someone in the company that bought the 8800 themselves and got permission to be on the BES cannot USE their MicroSD card within the unit or in USB transfer mode or the Camera anywhere within let's say a 2mile radius?!! Now that would not only be cool or even Owellian, but also tight security!
While that would be a good solution for controlling your own locations, what about going to client sites? Also, you can't tell me that some secure location won't understand or care if your camera function is turned off at the server. If the device has it, than it is not permitted on the location.

I know this might seem like I'm focusing on a small percentage of people, but still... I would say having a non-camera model (or maybe making the camera removable) would be a better solution.

Glad to hear that RIM is allowing this type of control on their devices though... very impressive.
PIN: 2047623A
Old 11-08-2006, 06:46 AM   #46
ARHYTHMATIK
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none

Didn't see any mention of GPS as BoyGenius reported.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:40 AM   #47
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
There are two models. One with camera, one without.

Now, whether or not your carrier offers both models of the 8800 is an entirely separate matter. You can always pay the price for an unlocked one if your carrier doesn't...

It would be ideal RIM made a Blackberry with a removable camera module. They could reduce the number of model offerings to just one and the one module would work for those who do want a camera phone but can't carry a camera phone where they work. Now, that latter group of people might be a really small groups, but still...

Quote:
I'd need more than just an increase in the MP of the camera for it to replace my "real" camera. No camera phone has decent enough optics. I have a <1MP (about .3MP, actually) camera that can outdo any camera phone at any MP rating due to better glass in front of the imaging sensor. More MP is great but it's not the only measure of image quality. If the 8800's camera is good enough for snapshots, I'll be happy. I'm certainly not going to take family portraits with it... ;)

Last edited by takeshi; 11-08-2006 at 09:52 AM..
Old 11-09-2006, 05:02 AM   #48
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
While that would be a good solution for controlling your own locations, what about going to client sites? Also, you can't tell me that some secure location won't understand or care if your camera function is turned off at the server. If the device has it, than it is not permitted on the location.

I know this might seem like I'm focusing on a small percentage of people, but still... I would say having a non-camera model (or maybe making the camera removable) would be a better solution.

Glad to hear that RIM is allowing this type of control on their devices though... very impressive.
Dude its actually NOT a small percentage of RIMs market. Its the majority that you're thinking of ... Corp's Business, enterprise, governments, police forces (Italy).
Old 12-03-2006, 01:59 PM   #49
mensa

Model: -
Carrier: A1
Default Differences between Indigo and Crimson?

Hi,

what are the differences between the Indigo and the Crimson?

I think the Indigo won't have a camerea and the Crimson will have one.
But there are any other differences?

Will both have WLAN and GPS?
Old 12-03-2006, 02:00 PM   #50
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

You have asked the same question in three threads. That is two too many. Only post a question once. Thank you.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:36 PM   #51
v12spd
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

I hope T-Mobile gets it around February-April-ish. My Pearl will be on eBay in a heartbeat.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:28 AM   #52
mymitsu3kgt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9780
PIN: 236676A8
Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARHYTHMATIK
Didn't see any mention of GPS as BoyGenius reported.
I'm glad I'm not alone. I've had it in my mind this whole time waiting for the 8800 that it will have GPS, but as I read this thread, I don't see any mention of GPS. I was really looking foward to that option. Is GPS officially out since the rumor stage of the 8800?
Closed Thread