BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 09:25 AM   #1
SamTheMan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Default 8703e and Verizon's dash mount

Please Login to Remove!

So I've had my 8703e for about 10 days now and really like it. With the help of many here on the forum I have gotten better at working many of it's functions. When I purchased the BB I also picked up what I now know is a generic dash-mount / hands-free (kind of) contraption for my car. So here's my review (just in case you're thinking about buying it). DON'T!!! It actually attached very sturdy to the windshiled but that's all it does well. I had it only for a couple of days but literally the first time I put my BB in it (and made sure it was secure due to the fact that it is brand new and I was still in that baby"ing" it mode) I was driving and hit a very small bump in the road. Guess what happened next. My BB went flying and somehow hit most of the sharp edges in my car before falling in between the front seats (mind you it's a very small gap so retrieving the BB was not easy). Fast forward to 10 minutes later I looked at the dash-mount and it had cracked through both top screws. I guess this turnd-out to be a good thing because it forced me to take it back. And incidentally, if you've never experienced an understaffed Verizon store thank your good fortune. Over an hour and a half simply to get a refund. Anyhow, back to the story. After viewing a couple of posts here I learned that the speaker phone function of the 8703e is not that great. When you place your 8703e into this particular dash-mount (PDAMOUNT MTS:PDAVEHICLEMOU - $24.99 is how it's described on the receipt) the back of the mount actually blocks most of the speaker. So add to the fact that this BB already doesn't have the greatest speaker phone, adding a dash-mount that isn't strong enough or designed for it is a bad choice. The salesman at the Verizon store said it wasn't a good mount and was a bad choice for any BBs. Funny thing is that another sales person (when I purchsed the 8703e) told me that mount is great, everybody uses it, yada yada yada. Anyhow I hope this stops anyone from waisting their time. I did find another mount made by Seidio that looks great and has received some great reviews but apparently you can't place your BB in this unit, if it's in a case or skin. This is a deal breaker for me because I don't have the time to take my BB in and out of it's skin everytime I want to use it in my car.

Onto my next adventure.

Sam
8703e
Old 11-29-2006, 09:42 AM   #2
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Affirmative on that. Most of the phone mounts VZW sell aren't worth the plastic they are made of . The same thing happened to me, lukely I caught my BB. Drove back to the VZW store and promptly got a refund.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
GoblueNextel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTheMan
So I've had my 8703e for about 10 days now and really like it. With the help of many here on the forum I have gotten better at working many of it's functions. When I purchased the BB I also picked up what I now know is a generic dash-mount / hands-free (kind of) contraption for my car. So here's my review (just in case you're thinking about buying it). DON'T!!! It actually attached very sturdy to the windshiled but that's all it does well. I had it only for a couple of days but literally the first time I put my BB in it (and made sure it was secure due to the fact that it is brand new and I was still in that baby"ing" it mode) I was driving and hit a very small bump in the road. Guess what happened next. My BB went flying and somehow hit most of the sharp edges in my car before falling in between the front seats (mind you it's a very small gap so retrieving the BB was not easy). Fast forward to 10 minutes later I looked at the dash-mount and it had cracked through both top screws. I guess this turnd-out to be a good thing because it forced me to take it back. And incidentally, if you've never experienced an understaffed Verizon store thank your good fortune. Over an hour and a half simply to get a refund. Anyhow, back to the story. After viewing a couple of posts here I learned that the speaker phone function of the 8703e is not that great. When you place your 8703e into this particular dash-mount (PDAMOUNT MTS:PDAVEHICLEMOU - $24.99 is how it's described on the receipt) the back of the mount actually blocks most of the speaker. So add to the fact that this BB already doesn't have the greatest speaker phone, adding a dash-mount that isn't strong enough or designed for it is a bad choice. The salesman at the Verizon store said it wasn't a good mount and was a bad choice for any BBs. Funny thing is that another sales person (when I purchsed the 8703e) told me that mount is great, everybody uses it, yada yada yada. Anyhow I hope this stops anyone from waisting their time. I did find another mount made by Seidio that looks great and has received some great reviews but apparently you can't place your BB in this unit, if it's in a case or skin. This is a deal breaker for me because I don't have the time to take my BB in and out of it's skin everytime I want to use it in my car.

Onto my next adventure.

Sam
8703e
Not sure this will work with skin. However try proclipusa. A buddy has one for his treo. Expensive but it is really cool.

Also Seidio is great as well. Email and ask if they will come out with a SKINNED version.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblueNextel
Not sure this will work with skin. However try proclipusa. A buddy has one for his treo. Expensive but it is really cool.

Also Seidio is great as well. Email and ask if they will come out with a SKINNED version.
That one will fit my bill. The price for the basic model is about the same I paid for the one @ VZW Store.

ProClip Mounting System *-*Choose Your Country
Old 12-09-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
Teledatageek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Proclip is great, I've had two of them.
Closed Thread