Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 01:32 PM   #1
Doc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Viewing Webcam

Please Login to Remove!

Are they any software that will enable the Blackberry to view Real Time Webcams? The cams have their own IP and can be set to be viewed Java, Java Script, or Flash..
Old 02-08-2005, 02:17 PM   #2
thriller
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100r
Carrier: Rogers

this is very interseting i would like to see something like this, but is the blackberry enabled for media to be streamed
Old 02-08-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
Doc

Model: Storm
Carrier: Tmobile

I don't know I have tried reqwireless and the NOL neither will allow me to view the cams. We have set the cams up Java,Java Script, and Flash still no luck.Hope someone has an idea on this or solution. One of my Associates has a 650 and he has no problem viewing them. Of course I know we are talking 2 diffferent types of devices but still would be great if it could work.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

I doubt you have the bandwidth to stream video like this. Your best bet would be to actually snapshot the webcam every 10/30/60 secs or so and put a meta tag in to refresh the page with each new snapshot.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:34 PM   #5
jrhanley

bfrye,

How would you set that up?
I have a webcam for my house. Because it is a dynamic address (SBC DSL), I have gotdns.org provide me with a address that will update thru the use of a client program the address of my dynamic ip everytime it changes. But I yet to be able to view it on my BB. Only on my laptop or desktop.

Any input on direction to look, or third party software would be greatly appreciated. I need to be able to watch those darn kids of mine (or at least make them think I am) when I am away from home!
Old 02-09-2005, 09:39 PM   #6
scottwilliams33

I have done this. You have to have a computer on to poll your webcam, and you have to buy a program on the computer (I think it costs abt $50.00 but gives you so much more). I have it running with 2 cameras on the same machine, and can see both camera images from my Color 7250(one at a time). It looks great! If you want to hear more, I can post an explanation....

Scott
Old 02-10-2005, 01:08 AM   #7
jrhanley

scottwilliams,

Please post more.

One point. My DVR is a computer. I think it is made by focalpoint? Anyway they make these for of all things, carwashes! The webcam software is built into the RAM of the unit. So when I poll an ip address that it is at, I get a logon screen and then the 4 cameras come up on the screen. I can also rewind and view past recordings thru the internet.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:06 AM   #8
scottwilliams33

Default OK Here is how I did it....

I run a computer with a web server in my home. I use a home automation program called Homeseer to control my home, and it has a Web server built into it. You actually can use any web server software to do this.

On the same computer, I use a program called ActiveCam from Py Software (Link: http://www.pysoft.com/ActiveWebCamMainpage.htm). This is the $50.00 program I mentioned.

This program does your PVR functions for your webcams. That is why I run it normally, to record the video from my webcams (One is a Dlink DSL-2100 - the other is a X10 wireless camera hooked to the X10 USB adapter that is hooked to the computer). It allows me to record both cameras at the same time, and rewind up to 2 weeks of video (user selectable). It also allows me to broadcast both webcams as video onto a webpage but this part of it uses some serious JAVA and does not work on the Blackberry.

To make it work with the Blackberry, I found within the ActiveCam software, there is an option to take a snapshot at a predetermined times (I do 2 a minute) of what is on the cameras, and write it to a file(s) on the server, that is overwritten (although you could create a series). I have the ActiveCam software write the file(s - one for each cam) to the folder where my Webserver uses to hold the web pages.

Then I created a link to each page. It woudl go something like this:
http://www.mywebsite.com/capture1.jpg
and
http://www.mywebsite.com/capture2.jpg

And I can see the snapshots taken twice a minute. The software will also resize the image, so you can actually set it to do 240*180 (which is as close to the screen size of the blackberry). All this happens and I still have the PVR functions I described above.

I suppose if your PVR could FTP a file at a predermined time to a web server on a computer, you would not have to buy the ActiveCAM software, just set up a webserver with an FTP server, that your camera could "push" the image to, then create the links above.

The ActiveCAM software will overlay the time, date and description on the image, so you can see how old the picture is.

I hope that helps. It really works great.
Scott
Old 02-10-2005, 11:01 AM   #9
ConanLloyd

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

http://www.terratial.com/products/li...ance/index.htm is another potential solution if your camera serves static images.

~Conan
BB 8100
Closed Thread