BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 05:10 AM   #1
Hydraulix

Model: 8700g
Default BES won't work on my 8700g.

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everyone,

I'm about five seconds from returning my Blackberry back to the store. At my work we have BES. They set up a activation password for me and when I go to activate my enterprise server on my handheld I get "error contact sysadmin." I talked to him and he told me to try wiping my BB and then retry the activation. I did that and I get the same error. I tried talking to T-mobile and they don't know what's going on. My sysadmin said my account on his side looks fine. Now I'm stuck with this stupid desktop redirector (which I hate btw) and no enterprise server. Please help me before I decide to return this device.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:58 AM   #2
arche3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon
Default dont give up!

the 8700c has a serious issue with BES activaton as well. search the forum under "8700" and "BES" and there will be countless threads about it. What I did was do a usb desktop activation, as opposed to a wireless activation. but it still took me a bit to get it to work. I had to reload software... etc... what I finally did was update to the Bharti software and the BES activation finally went thru. this is a documented fact from RIM as well regarding certain blkbry OS versions and the BES. goodluck!!! It frustrated the hell out of me as well If I had to use redirector I would throw my berry out and get a Q!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraulix
Hello everyone,

I'm about five seconds from returning my Blackberry back to the store. At my work we have BES. They set up a activation password for me and when I go to activate my enterprise server on my handheld I get "error contact sysadmin." I talked to him and he told me to try wiping my BB and then retry the activation. I did that and I get the same error. I tried talking to T-mobile and they don't know what's going on. My sysadmin said my account on his side looks fine. Now I'm stuck with this stupid desktop redirector (which I hate btw) and no enterprise server. Please help me before I decide to return this device.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:07 AM   #3
Hydraulix

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3
the 8700c has a serious issue with BES activaton as well. search the forum under "8700" and "BES" and there will be countless threads about it. What I did was do a usb desktop activation, as opposed to a wireless activation. but it still took me a bit to get it to work. I had to reload software... etc... what I finally did was update to the Bharti software and the BES activation finally went thru. this is a documented fact from RIM as well regarding certain blkbry OS versions and the BES. goodluck!!! It frustrated the hell out of me as well If I had to use redirector I would throw my berry out and get a Q!!!!

Hmm. I have the 8700g. Is that going to make a difference? So how do I active BES using my computer? When I hooked it up all it did was enable redirector.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:14 AM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Your BES Admin has to add your e-mail account to the BES. If you have 4.x, they set up a one time password and it gets sent to your e-mail account and you use that for Enterprise Activation. We have loads of 8700c and 8700g BBs on our BES. No problem.

You may have to plug the BB into the PC via the USB for the activation to complete. But it works fine.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:18 AM   #5
Hydraulix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Your BES Admin has to add your e-mail account to the BES. If you have 4.x, they set up a one time password and it gets sent to your e-mail account and you use that for Enterprise Activation. We have loads of 8700c and 8700g BBs on our BES. No problem.

You may have to plug the BB into the PC via the USB for the activation to complete. But it works fine.

I got the activation password sent to me yesterday. When I try to activate it I get an error message. Is there a way to activate enterprise on my handheld using my computer?
Old 06-01-2006, 07:29 AM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

No. What error do you get.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:35 AM   #7
Hydraulix

It just says "an error has occured, contact your system administrator"
Old 06-01-2006, 07:41 AM   #8
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

When I have an issue activating an 8700 (all c's), I do this:

- Remove user from BES
- Wipe handheld
- Add user to BES and set activation password
- Complete activation on handheld

The BES admin can set a password that is only 1 character long, too, to avoid issues with the user mis-typing the password (which can lead to the error you're getting).
Old 06-01-2006, 07:49 AM   #9
Gmouth
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

You don't need to set an activation password. Just have your sys admin set it up without one and add your email address to the bes server. Once you connect your blackberry to your desktop/laptop via USB it will recognize the BB, and then will do the activation. I have several 8700c/g's at my firm and this is the way I set EVERYONE up. I have not had one single activation issue.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:53 AM   #10
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

You do need to set the activation password if the user doesn't have Desktop Manager installed (which we rarely do anymore) and you do all of your activations over the air.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:46 AM   #11
Gmouth
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

We install the desktop manager so the users don't get errors when trying to charge their blackberry through the usb cord.

Juwaack68 is correct if you don't use the desktop manager. I should have stated that.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:42 PM   #12
Hydraulix

I'm still getting the same error. How long does the activation take? It just sits at that screen for minutes. Then I finally get "contact sysadmin error" which is BS. I wish it told me what the error was. Also, I've noticed that I get a email in my inbox (on my work computer) that says this.

This message is used to carry data between the BlackBerry Handheld and an associated server. Please do not delete, move or respond to this message - it will be processed by the server.

With a bunch of encryption down below. What's wrong here? Why won't this thing activate?
Old 06-07-2006, 02:55 AM   #13
MWG

Model: 8700V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraulix
I'm still getting the same error. How long does the activation take? It just sits at that screen for minutes. Then I finally get "contact sysadmin error" which is BS. I wish it told me what the error was. Also, I've noticed that I get a email in my inbox (on my work computer) that says this.

This message is used to carry data between the BlackBerry Handheld and an associated server. Please do not delete, move or respond to this message - it will be processed by the server.

With a bunch of encryption down below. What's wrong here? Why won't this thing activate?

I have the exact same problem with one of our users. I have wiped the device, deleted the user from the BES, and tried again. Still get the same error. Also tried on another device....
Old 06-07-2006, 05:15 AM   #14
MWG

Model: 8700V

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWG
I have the exact same problem with one of our users. I have wiped the device, deleted the user from the BES, and tried again. Still get the same error. Also tried on another device....
We found a solution for our problem
We are using Lotus Notes and the rights on the mail file were not correct.
The LocalDomainSersvers were not in the access control list.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:36 AM   #15
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

First, if you're with T-Mobile, make sure you have the correct type of service. They offer three - "Enterprise Server", "Internet Service", and "Internet Only". You MUST have Enterprise Server.

Second, perform a full wipe of the device before attempting OTA EA (Over The Air Enterprise Activation). Go to (Settings/Options/Tools) --> Security --> General Settings, click the wheel and select Wipe Handheld (and follow the prompts). Don't know why, but I've found that OTA simply doesn't work way too often with an out of the box Blackberry regardless of provider (we're running BES 4.0 - maybe that's the problem).

Third, if possible I recommend installing Desktop Manager 4.1.x and performing the EA wired. Install DM (and I recommend the latest firmware for your device), wipe the Berry, start DM - make sure you have a good connection to your Exchange server, double click the Intellisync icon and hit the [Reset Configuration] button. Plug in the device and make sure DM makes a connection to the device (Options --> Connection Settings, hit the [Detect] button).

DM will connect to the device, recognize that it can connect directly with the Exchange/BES server, and Enterprise Activation will commence without the need of entering any info. It's significantly faster and we've found it to be more reliable. OTA activations occasionally seem to get a corrupt [CMIME] service book for some reason (again, maybe it's BES 4.0), so I like to have users do the EA wired. I do at least 3 or 4 of these a week.

J
Old 06-07-2006, 07:04 AM   #16
hannahkat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: Bell

another point - the activation password set on the server is valid for one time use only - if the activation fails for any reason the password has to be reset on the BES. Our remote activations get that error if they start the activation, realize they spelt the email address wrong, cancel the activation, and then start again in the hopes no one will notice.
We probably have a 25% failure rate on first time activations, doing about 10 a week.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:21 AM   #17
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahkat
Our remote activations get that error if they start the activation, realize they spelt the email address wrong, cancel the activation, and then start again in the hopes no one will notice.
That will not invalidate the activation password. Because the email address was entered incorrectly the server never received the activation attempt. Thus, the password that was generated on the server is still valid.

Even if you typo the activation password you can still try again without reseting the password. The password automatically becomes invalidated after 1) successful activation, 2) five incorrect passwords, or 3) 48 hours (by default).

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by d_fisher; 06-07-2006 at 08:24 AM..
Old 06-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #18
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryD
Third, if possible I recommend installing Desktop Manager 4.1.x and performing the EA wired. Install DM (and I recommend the latest firmware for your device), wipe the Berry, start DM - make sure you have a good connection to your Exchange server, double click the Intellisync icon and hit the [Reset Configuration] button. Plug in the device and make sure DM makes a connection to the device (Options --> Connection Settings, hit the [Detect] button).

DM will connect to the device, recognize that it can connect directly with the Exchange/BES server, and Enterprise Activation will commence without the need of entering any info. It's significantly faster and we've found it to be more reliable. OTA activations occasionally seem to get a corrupt [CMIME] service book for some reason (again, maybe it's BES 4.0), so I like to have users do the EA wired. I do at least 3 or 4 of these a week.

J
Ok...I had just the opposite problem. I switched a guy's BB from a 7100t to an 8700g. He was already up and running on the BES with the old 7100t. I plugged in the 8700g to the desktop manager, it asked me if I'd like to switch from the old pin to the new pin. I said ok and it started the activation and all proceeded like normal and all looked good. However, when I was done the new handheld would not receive email. It would send ok but not receive. I plugged in again and the emails came in but only while connected to the Desktop Manager. Once disconnected it would not receive email. I had to call the BES admin guy and have him set an OTA password. The OTA password reactivated it and all worked normally. My question is why would the USB method not work when the OTA worked fine.
Closed Thread