Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 10:01 AM   #21
bvondane

Model: 8130
Carrier: verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stileshingles
Man...way to make a pilot feel inferior.

I fly a Super Decathlon (my favorite bird), a lolely Citabria and the occasional 172 (All rented, I don't own 3 airplanes) Any other general aviation pilots on this board?
I fly and RV-8 that I built... rv8a.com
Old 04-30-2006, 03:31 AM   #22
tom_r
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

FLICA (flica.net) is our scheduling software, that many other airlines use also. People with both PPC and Palms are able to automatically download their schedules, bid packages, etc.. all on their device. So far there is nothing for the BB but it would sure be nice!!

Tom
Old 05-01-2006, 04:05 AM   #23
stileshingles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvondane
I fly and RV-8 that I built... rv8a.com
Awesome website and an awesome plane. Is the RV-8A fully aerobatic? (I know some Vans planes are)

I'm still fairly new to aerobatic flying. I have about 20 hours spread between a Decathalon and a Super Decathlon. Hopefully I'm going to get to start logging some time in a Pitts within the next few weeks.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:57 PM   #24
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Default Aviation Sites

I fly Corporate-Gulfstream G100's & G200's and, by the 3rd quarter of 2007, a G-550 (woohoo!). Anyway, my favorite is www.fltplan.com/cell.htm It'll give you instant access to metar's, tafs, and notams. No user name/password required. This link takes you right to the page where you type in your identifiers. It's my most used site.

Google maps is another for any pilot- www.google.com/gmm Find any restaurant or hotel (or any other business) in any town in the US, quick and easy, and get accurate, easy to use directions as well as address and phone number. It's a must have when trying to find that hotel that the girls at the fbo tried to give you directions to.

For any corporate guys with access to Universal Weather & Flight Planning they have a mobile site for BB's and Palm. http://palm.univ-wea.com/wap/ (You must have a subscription to Universal to access this site but it's a pretty decent site)

That's all I can think of for now....A logbook program for BB would be nice. I could finally dump my old Palm m515!

Last edited by John Clark; 11-06-2009 at 11:01 PM..
Old 05-01-2006, 10:50 PM   #25
stileshingles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
I fly Corporate-Gulfstream G100's & G200's and, by the 3rd quarter of 2007, a G-550 (woohoo!).
G-550...what a junker! Those things don't even come with inverted fuel systems. What are you going to do when guys in suits want to do loops and rolls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
Anyway, my favorite is www.fltplan.com/cell.htm It'll give you instant access to metar's, tafs, and notams. No user name/password required. This link takes you right to the page where you type in your identifiers. It's my most used site.
I had never heard of that site before. Very nice! I've bookmarked it.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:13 PM   #26
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I'll just be doing my own loops and rolls--all the way to the bank! Yeah, some of the fun is gone but it sure is nice to be served a lobster/seafood tray and a nice hot meal.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:38 PM   #27
stileshingles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just out of curiousity....would anybody use a logbook program that was web based? That is, you could sign up for an account and access your log book from any computer with an internet connection. You could also access your account, view your log book and make entries from your BlackBerry or PocketPC.

The upside is that you have one central log book that you can access from any computer. The downside is that you can't access your log book if you are in an area where your BlackBerry doesn't get data service and you can't find a computer with an internet connection. I have a feeling this restriction would be a deal breaker for many pilots. Any comments?
Old 05-02-2006, 10:12 AM   #28
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Web based (or at least partially web based) is probably the only way it would work. I would love to have it all on the BB and somehow transfer it to my PC, though. My concern would be the logevity of the web site and the information stored there. What happens when the website goes down and never comes back? Privacy and security are an issue as well. Additionally, there would need to be a simple way to import the data to a pc periodically. Also, monthly fees are not high on my list and would probably turn me off. Maybe a one time fee for the software or access to the site, or something of that nature, would probably attract more people. I just still drag my old palm pilot around just for use as my logbook
Old 05-02-2006, 10:30 AM   #29
stileshingles
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm not a corporate pilot so I have no idea how many have BlackBerrys.

Given that there are already programs out there that work on PocketPC's and Palms, what kind of demand do you think there is for a BlackBerry version?

BTW, the reason I ask is because I think I might be able to build something like what was described above.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:09 AM   #30
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I work with 20 other corporate pilots and we all carry blackberries. Some love it, some hate it. I think the ones that hate it actually just love it so much that they hate it. Anyway, I travel all around the country and I see lots of corporate pilots carrying blackberries now. There are also lots of business people who fly their own small airplanes and use blackberry. Those are the ones that are always looking for pilot supplies and stuff for their airplanes. There is probably a big market there too. Pilots are a group that always want backups. If you could design an easy to use logbook application that had redundancy (backup to and access from pc) in case the site goes down I think you could get a following. The trick is getting the word out. I know that I would definitely give one a try, if it was available.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:55 PM   #31
stileshingles
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've started working on a very preliminary version of the logbook system described above.

It will have the following features:

1. Accessible from any computer, BlackBerry or PocketPC with an internet connection. (It will not work on your BB if you cannot get on the internet)

2. Ability to download your logbook to your PC and open it as an Excel or text file. This will allow pilots to keep Excel or text file backups of their log book.

3. Customizable column headings (ie, Airplane MEL, Taildragger, etc)

4. I would like to try to keep it free.

Any other suggestions?

BTW, I'm not making any promises that this will actually get done. As of now I'm mostly just gauging interest and trying to figure out how difficult it would be to build.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:57 PM   #32
MBJustice

Model: 7100T

I recommend eFAD (Electronic Facilities & Airport Directory) it has been tested and works great on BlackBerry devices, after you sign-up for the demo (free for 15 days) you will receive a link with three URLs use the URL for xHTML devices and you will be up and running in minutes. The best airport guide and weather system I have ever used!
Old 05-18-2006, 06:58 PM   #33
MBJustice

Model: 7100T

Another great website for aviation software is PalmFLYING.com
Old 07-22-2006, 04:47 PM   #34
tathepilot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
Carrier: none

Wirelessly posted (the deal maker: BlackBerry7290/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotth
Very cool!! This one came in handy today planing my flight kfrg d kbuf.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:40 PM   #35
Airmark1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT uhhhh Cingular uhhh I mean ATT
Default More About Fltplan.com

Another great thing about FltPlan.com PDA is that you can get almost every airport's METAR and TERMINAL. Even airports OUTSIDE the U.S. Very handy for those trips to non English-speaking countries.

Had a recent trip to Argentina in a G3. Got weather and all that kind of stuff from a professional handler. But, sitting at the airport, figuring out performance data, it was handy to have the current and easy to understand METARS. Just sat in the ****pit, dialed up fltplan.com and got the current METAR.

True, some of the airports had ATIS in Spanish and then English (not always easy to understand) and some airports had NO English ATIS at all.

So, fltplan.com made it very helpful for me to figure out our flights.

Anywho...use it...you'll like it.

?was it a cat i saw?
Old 07-22-2006, 07:53 PM   #36
tathepilot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (the deal maker: BlackBerry7290/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Yes, flt plan is kick*ss! It even gives u notams. This site is fairly new www.flightaware.com you can track any flight with a squawk code, also get stats for airports, like arrivals, departures, etc.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:21 PM   #37
Airmark1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT uhhhh Cingular uhhh I mean ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tathepilot

Yes, flt plan is kick*ss! It even gives u notams. This site is fairly new FlightAware - Free Flight Tracker - IFR Flight Status, Tracking, History, Maps you can track any flight with a squawk code, also get stats for airports, like arrivals, departures, etc.

very cool. Thanks for the site.

?was it a cat i saw?
Old 07-28-2006, 02:43 PM   #38
tathepilot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stileshingles
Man...way to make a pilot feel inferior.

I fly a Super Decathlon (my favorite bird), a lolely Citabria and the occasional 172 (All rented, I don't own 3 airplanes) Any other general aviation pilots on this board?
great a/c.. what is the main difference between the super d and the citabria?? performance and aerobatically speaking..

these are two a/c im thinking of buying.. i also love the pitts s2b and the extra
Old 10-16-2006, 10:54 AM   #39
dancingbear

Model: 7250
Default BB7250 will not work at all above about 3000 AGL

Stiles,
I'd bet that AOPA, Sportys, & Garmin would fund the site with side ads... plus all of the other a/c toy stores.

My BB7250 will not work at all above about 3000 AGL, and it is very annoying. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the fltplan site too.

DB
"Centurion zero bravo sierra"
Old 10-16-2006, 11:01 AM   #40
tathepilot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingbear
Stiles,
I'd bet that AOPA, Sportys, & Garmin would fund the site with side ads... plus all of the other a/c toy stores.

My BB7250 will not work at all above about 3000 AGL, and it is very annoying. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the fltplan site too.

DB
"Centurion zero bravo sierra"
About 2 weeks ago i was enroute from frg to orl.. was at 5000 feet.. when i turn my berry on, for about 10 seconds i would start to get emails than that was it.... so if i had mail to send, i would compose it with the wireless off, when i was done, turn the wireless on than, wala!!! above 1000 feet you pick up too many cell sites...
Closed Thread