BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 04:53 AM   #1
Me Mota

Model: 7730
Default Emails disappearing fast - memory issue?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

Just upgraded to BES 4.0, and running 7730's (and others). On the 7730's, email would normally be listed for many days (say 150-200 emails in the inbox).

Since changing to 4.0, mine is today only showing about half a days' worth - the rest have automatically deleted during the day. Memory usage in "status" is listed as 13.5MB total, 2.0GB free. (it's supposed to have 16MB flash memory plus 2MB SRAM).

Is there something weird going on here? Has some of my memory stuffed up, or is it to do with the upgrade to 4.0?

Would appreciate anyone's help - at present the thing's kinda useless.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:29 AM   #2
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

You have to remember that newer OS are larger and take up more storage room in the BB as a result there is less free memory to store things in, and finally a BB was never meant to be a storage device for emails. You get it read it respond to it and delete it, If you need to have copies for a long time then send yourself a BBC and save the copy elsewhere. If you are only going to store it for a few hours or days it should be alright again unless you also decide to save every email you get.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 03-29-2006, 10:02 AM   #3
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

You can also choose to have it deliver only the headers and not the entire email. That may help for those messages that aren't read.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
kim@gandylornell.net

Model: 9630

Phew! I was just about to upgrade to 4.0 when I saw the warning that it would take a lot more storage space, and I stopped. I receive hundreds of emails a day, and sometimes I can't get to all of them, especially if I'm at a conference or meeting. I often have 800+ emails waiting for me to read (usually less than 2 days old) and can rarely manage to pare it down below 100. What are other people doing about this? It's one thing to say that the BB isn't a "storage" device, but it's another thing to say that you have to respond to an email within 8 hours or it disappears! Whassup?
Old 05-17-2006, 08:50 AM   #5
kpoland
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

Yes, I'm a the Admin at a firm with about 500 users, which all had to be upgraded to 4.0 OS to avoid problems with the 4.1 Exchange server (big migration). Since upgrading the handhelds to 4.0 many of the 7750's (and some 6750's) are auto-deleting email after just a few hours, sometimes sooner.

It's very annoying. Throw those devices in the trash. There's a reason they're discontinued.
"Sink or Swim" Educated
Old 08-25-2006, 05:53 PM   #6
VR6
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers
Default i'm not sure if that's the issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
You have to remember that newer OS are larger and take up more storage room in the BB as a result there is less free memory to store things in, and finally a BB was never meant to be a storage device for emails. You get it read it respond to it and delete it, If you need to have copies for a long time then send yourself a BBC and save the copy elsewhere. If you are only going to store it for a few hours or days it should be alright again unless you also decide to save every email you get.
my emails aren't even staying for 3 days, they're disappearing fast...i don't even have a full list of yesterday's emails...but the strange thing is not all emails are deleted, it looks like random emails, not BIS or BES related either...

it's very annoying to have emails disappear, and it's not a memory is full problem either...and i don't even get that much email...maybe 20-30 a day...what the f$#k is going on here?!!?

Rogers 7280 -> 7100r -> 8310 -> 9000 -> 9800 -> 9900
Old 09-16-2006, 01:12 PM   #7
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT

Im having a similar problem every 3 or 4 months the bb just starts showing the hour glass for a minute or 2 then rests and 90% of my messages are gone... what is causing this,, its not like i have lots of applications or using up a lot of memory...
Old 09-16-2006, 08:35 PM   #8
noname
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel

Definitely the handheld's Low Memory Manager at work due to insufficient space...

KB-02843 What Is - Low Memory Manager
Livelink - Redirection

Excerpts:

The Low Memory Manager is activated automatically when the available flash memory on the handheld decreases to less than 400KB. Flash memory is used to store handheld applications such as Messages, Calendar, Address Book, Tasks, MemoPad, and third party application data.

By removing rarely used applications and old data you can increase the amount of memory on your handheld. The Low Memory Manager begins by removing low priority items such as cached data. Medium priority items such as very old emails and out-of-date calendar entries are deleted if additional memory capacity is required. If the memory situation on the handheld becomes critical, the Low Memory Manager will cause the email application to remove emails on a last-accessed basis.

To view the available memory on your handheld go to:

Options > Status > File Free

Note: Calendar entries and emails removed by the Low Memory Manager are not reconciled back to the mail system.

I would remove any 3rd party apps or less frequently used apps on the device to give way to the more important messages...
Old 09-16-2006, 11:21 PM   #9
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT

noname thanks for the informative post. i went ahead tonight and deleted almost every application with the exception of berry411 so i wont hopefully run into this problem again, i really cant afford to lose emails like that again.. thanks
Closed Thread