BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 01:31 PM   #1
akh223

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon
Default Question on Filing Messages??

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, I am what I feel is an experienced BB user nad BES admin. I have about 200 users on our BES right now, and I have been working with BB's for about 2+ years now. But this one has blown my mind so far.

So, my CIO calls me up today and tells me that his 7250 running 4.0 will no longer figure out what folder to file stuff in automatically? He swears that his BB used to figure out what folder to put a message in based on some "keywords" in the message. Now when he clicks on a message and chooses "file" it defaults to the inbox folder. We are running bes 4.0.3 and are wirelessly reconciling everything. No problems with the reconcilliation or folder moves, but he believes it was automatically selecting folders based on some criteria.

Has anyone ever seen their BB automatically choose which folder to file a message in based on some criteria?

I hate to go back to my CIO and tell him he is full of it, but I will unless I can find someone or somewhere that says otherwise.

Thanks.
A.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #2
earth
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

You have me thinking about this one now....

Off hand, I'll say the CIO doesn't know.

Then again... I'm not 100% sure.

You can set your email to automatically file to certain folders in Outlook/Lotus Notes and but they won't show up on your blackberry...

Then again, going into desktop manager you can set email redirection from "inbox only" to specific folders. if you do this, the folder will show up in his inbox as well as the folder he wants it filed to.

Seems to delete from the filed folder if you delete from the inbox though...

My personal opinion:

Tell the dude to manage his email from Outlook/Notes which is what he should be doing. bberry is for accessing emails, not for organizing everything. If he wants to use it for everything, then fine. take away his pc cause he obviously doesn't want to use the email software on it.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Who are you going to believe when it comes to something techincal? Yourself or the suit?

The BlackBerry does not use keywords when filing a message the way you described. Trust yourself, the CIO is crazy. Just dont say it to his face.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-09-2006, 07:42 PM   #4
go2duke
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8703
Carrier: Verizon

Like all CIOs.. he is dreaming of a rule based mail processor in a blackberry.. it would be nice but not there... He may be filtering something that no loger is getting filtered...

Here is something.. ask him to show you what folders he has set up in there to actually push mail into... bet none exist

G2D
Old 03-14-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
wcwade

Model: 7510

Well normally I'd be agreeing with the others in this thread but it just so happens I got the same question yesterday from one of my Blackberry users.

There's nothing in any of the documentation that describes the kind of functionality he's telling me he used to have, but he swears, the BB would "guess" which folder he wanted to file a message in. And he tells me the "guesses" were pretty darn accurate. Now it's just defaulting to the inbox like me and the rest of our firm does. I was (did already), write this one off as a one off, but obviously something was going on. Just don't know what or how now.

We're running BES 4.0.3.3. He's running 7250 with 4.0.0.204 on it.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #6
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie

Absolutely it does that and sometimes it does to the Inbox. I just tried it. Don't know how the rules work, but it may look to names etc.

Here's what I do on a message on my 8700. Hit I for folders, then if it doesn't go the where I want it, I start typing the name of the folder and it will go to that folder after a few letters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akh223
Has anyone ever seen their BB automatically choose which folder to file a message in based on some criteria?
Old 03-14-2006, 10:40 AM   #7
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Here's what I do on a message on my 8700. Hit I for folders, then if it doesn't go the where I want it, I start typing the name of the folder and it will go to that folder after a few letters.
Nice tip! You should make some sort of list containing "tips" like this - some people might find it useful.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:47 AM   #8
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie

also works with the browser bookmarks too - start typing the name, so that's why you need to carefully name your bookmarks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle18
Nice tip! You should make some sort of list containing "tips" like this - some people might find it useful.
Closed Thread