Old 05-04-2011, 06:09 AM   #1
Gculshaw

Model: bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default Blackberry and Exchange

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I was wondering whether to get a blackberry but I have been informed that I will have to pay for an internet bundle if I want my exchange emails to be sent to my blackberry, is this the case? I believe Gmail etc can be set up directly on a blackberry with no additional costs, so can an exchange email addresses be set up in the same way?

Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Gail Culshaw
Old 05-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Blackberry and Exchange

You need a BlackBerry data plan to use BlackBerry data features like the internal email and BlackBerry Messenger. Additionally, apps like Google Maps, Facebook, and MANY others require this plan.

Orange offers a BlackBerry bolt-on for Ł5 per month.

What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 05-04-2011, 07:25 AM   #3
Gculshaw

Thanks Rambo47,

If I proceeded and got a bundle with the blackberry, is it easy to set up g-mail, outlook exchange emails etc etc?

Many thanks
Old 05-04-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Exceedingly simple with a BlackBerry data plan. You can use the built-in mail app and have true push email, multiple accounts all in one place, etc. I have both GMail and an Exchange account on my BlackBerry. I have a total of 5 email accounts and all function perfectly.

Note that corporate Exchange accounts are often governed by the company you work for. Mine allows OWA access so I don't need BES and I'm not governed by an IT Policy. They can be very restrictive.

Also note that not all email providers support push email. The BlackBerry might be willing and able, but if your provider doesn't support the IMAP/IDLE protocol the email for that account might not be instant push. GMail, however, is indeed ready for full BlackBerry integration so your experience with GMail should be excellent.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
Gculshaw

Fantastic, thanks.
Closed Thread