CrackBerry Addict

Model: K1
PIN: Positive Intrinsic Negative???
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjgrim
...It should be here by Friday...
I was wrong. It came in early. Got it next day. My first replacement was a fully new device, accessories and all. This replacement was a refurb(but I like refurns). Nothing in the box but the device. I was hoping for a third set of accessories just for fun. I guess I can't complain since they already sent me one spare set. As a side note, this device is a little different. The identifying numbers on the device are considerably higher than the ones on my previous dusty device. The SIM card slot is also a little different. Instead of the clear plastic guide, it now has a little black plastic arm in there to push up on the SIM. Also, the back cover is stamped as a CAV 2 whereas my previous one was stamped CAV1. They look identical except for this one has a lot less overspray on the paint job. Looks like the gray was intentional here instead of an afterthought
Old 02-06-2006, 08:02 PM   #382
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

I got a new one at the Cingular store and it also has:

"The SIM card slot is also a little different. Instead of the clear plastic guide, it now has a little black plastic arm in there to push up on the SIM. Also, the back cover is stamped as a CAV 2 whereas my previous one was stamped CAV1."

I really hope they have fixed the dust issue with this latest version.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:20 PM   #383
AlbertoM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Mine says CAV3. I think this has more to do with the injected mold batch for the door than with the phone/
Old 02-07-2006, 12:52 PM   #384
saldous

Carrier: Verizon

Mine says CAV 3 also. So far no dust on my replacement after 2 weeks
Old 02-07-2006, 02:49 PM   #385
14pups

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mobile

So after 6 weeks I noticed dust for the first time last weekend.

I had my device unlocked by Cingular and I am wondereing how long it will take them to send me a replacement plus send me the unlock code??

I'm trying to decide if I should just put up with the dust prob versus going through all that BS again??
Old 02-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #386
Grimlin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: K1
PIN: Positive Intrinsic Negative???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoM
Mine says CAV3. I think this has more to do with the injected mold batch for the door than with the phone/
Is it molded gray plastic or black painted gray? I'm curious if they are going to start using a gray plastic or keep painting them. It just seems odd to paint them.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:26 PM   #387
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: ATT

Yea the dust thing is a nightmare. Everytime I replace my unit I have to pay $45 to have it unlocked again as I have tmobile. If this one gets dust I will return it and wait for the tmobile ver.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:33 PM   #388
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pups
So after 6 weeks I noticed dust for the first time last weekend.

I had my device unlocked by Cingular and I am wondereing how long it will take them to send me a replacement plus send me the unlock code??

I'm trying to decide if I should just put up with the dust prob versus going through all that BS again??
I've been following this post for a long time, and smugly feeling that my 8700 wasn't experiencing the dust problem, until I took some flash pix tonight (for another post about problems with a ProClip car holder) and those pix revealed a BIG OL' section of dust under my screen. (I've uploaded those pix, and the dusty menace is circled in red.)

Now my brain is saying "Hey, if it took a flash pic months later to get you to notice this, don't worry about it!" But the Monk in me is already working on how I can crack my badboy open and Windex the crap out of the inner surfaces...

Help! It seems from this thread that some of you are getting replacement units, but those might/might not solve the problem. Has RIM issued a "new make" that is worth jumping through hoops for to eliminate this problem?? I admit I'm not interested in wasting years of my life just to get a unit that will experience the same problem (and I'm still not sure if my case of OCD will prevail anyway ) but it's nice to explore my options...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PROCLIP01.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1573   Click image for larger version

Name:	PROCLIP02.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1574  
Old 02-08-2006, 12:56 AM   #389
wirelessandy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: ----
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by peznut
But the Monk in me is already working on how I can crack my badboy open and Windex the crap out of the inner surfaces...
Thank goodness. I thought I was the only Monk around here.

What's funny is that my Nokia 6010 (my daily driver du jour) is a dust magnet but it bothers me MUCH less. Maybe it's because I know I can crack it open and blast the specks away, and be dust free, at least for a few hours.

Which is all the reason why I still prefer the way the 7290 is built with the display pressed right up against the plastic "window".

Anyway, I'm still watching this thread for that silver bullet of a cure before jumping into 8700-ville.

Old 02-08-2006, 01:32 AM   #390
tfaz1

Model: 8700g

Quote:
Originally Posted by peznut
I've been following this post for a long time, and smugly feeling that my 8700 wasn't experiencing the dust problem, until I took some flash pix tonight (for another post about problems with a ProClip car holder) and those pix revealed a BIG OL' section of dust under my screen. (I've uploaded those pix, and the dusty menace is circled in red.)
Yeah, that's where my dust ball likes to hang out. By the way, do you drive a 4-Runner or a Camary?
Old 02-08-2006, 07:36 AM   #391
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfaz1
Yeah, that's where my dust ball likes to hang out. By the way, do you drive a 4-Runner or a Camary?
A '95 4Runner.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:01 AM   #392
GoFrogs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&Tingular

I am getting my 8700 delivered today. In reading through these, I can't seem to find out if BB has actually solved this problem or really admitting there is an issue. If so, would the new one I am getting today have this solution? I think this would drive me bonkers.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #393
dwlace01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFrogs
I am getting my 8700 delivered today. In reading through these, I can't seem to find out if BB has actually solved this problem or really admitting there is an issue. If so, would the new one I am getting today have this solution? I think this would drive me bonkers.
RIM has said that there is an issue and in the early stages of this problem, people were able to call a RIM contact provided by someone in this forum and discuss exchanging their device for one that RIM had specially made to fix this problem. The original problem occured b/c there was 1 assembly location where the gasket was being installed wrong around the screen of the 8700's. RIM said that it wasn't an issue with all blackberries and in the beginning it did look like it was only a small number. BUT recently it seems as though people are experiencing the problem more and more and b/c of that RIM ran out of replacement devices. They said that they "might" ship more replacements in the future but for right now, if you wantd to exchange your device, the best route would be cingular's lockline.
As far as you getting a "dusty" device today when you receive your bb is possible and lately it seems more probable than ever but if it does happen. Either live with it until the modified blackberries come in to ciruclation, or contact cingular about a replacement.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:00 AM   #394
rpfeffer
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint BES

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlace01
RIM has said that there is an issue and in the early stages of this problem, people were able to call a RIM contact provided by someone in this forum and discuss exchanging their device for one that RIM had specially made to fix this problem. The original problem occured b/c there was 1 assembly location where the gasket was being installed wrong around the screen of the 8700's. RIM said that it wasn't an issue with all blackberries and in the beginning it did look like it was only a small number. BUT recently it seems as though people are experiencing the problem more and more and b/c of that RIM ran out of replacement devices. They said that they "might" ship more replacements in the future but for right now, if you wantd to exchange your device, the best route would be cingular's lockline.
As far as you getting a "dusty" device today when you receive your bb is possible and lately it seems more probable than ever but if it does happen. Either live with it until the modified blackberries come in to ciruclation, or contact cingular about a replacement.
you can really only tell in direct light, so I guess I will wait until RIM starts replacing these devices specifically for this issue..again.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:24 AM   #395
saldous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjgrim
Is it molded gray plastic or black painted gray? I'm curious if they are going to start using a gray plastic or keep painting them. It just seems odd to paint them.
Yes the inside of the back cover is black.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:38 PM   #396
Liv
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330

Hey all, I have the opportunity to buy a used 8700c from someone. It is at a good lowered price, and from what I understand in near mint condition. There is one issue though, there is dust under the screen, it is not visible when turned on, only when off. But I am wondering if getting it at a lower price is worth it being I could get a new one more money, but with a chance it may not have an issue with dust.

It is through cingular, and I am not sure how helpful Cingular will be with replacing the unit if it gets worse.

Is this something that is proactively getting fixed between Cingular and RIM? I am not sure if I should risk getting it at a lower price and hope that Cingular or RIM can help me? Or should I just think about getting one from Cingular new?

Any thoughts?
Old 02-13-2006, 07:19 PM   #397
KonTiki

PIN: 007

Why buy something that you may not be happy with or able to replace. If they are willing to sell it at such a discount when it is brand new, there has to be a reason.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 02-13-2006, 07:36 PM   #398
lgreenberg

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv
Hey all, I have the opportunity to buy a used 8700c from someone. It is at a good lowered price, and from what I understand in near mint condition. There is one issue though, there is dust under the screen, it is not visible when turned on, only when off. But I am wondering if getting it at a lower price is worth it being I could get a new one more money, but with a chance it may not have an issue with dust.

It is through cingular, and I am not sure how helpful Cingular will be with replacing the unit if it gets worse.

Is this something that is proactively getting fixed between Cingular and RIM? I am not sure if I should risk getting it at a lower price and hope that Cingular or RIM can help me? Or should I just think about getting one from Cingular new?

Any thoughts?
If you do buy it I'd buy it under the assumption that Cingular won't replace it. They may very well swap it but you won't know for sure.

If the price is substantially lower and you can't afford a new unit I'd say go for it. As you said, the dust is onlu noticible with the screen off.

KonTiki, sure there's something wrong with it. The seller has admitted so, the dust.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:45 PM   #399
Liv

Model: 8330

Okay, if I did this I would need to take it somewhere to get it cleaned out (already found a place for cheap) and possibly try to figure out if I could seal it up on my own somehow (the place does not have anyway to fix or prevent dust from coming in)

I am going to call cingular I think, and see what they have to say about it.

I am getting a good chunk off, by getting it through this other person. So it will be a decision I am going to have to make.

Are the brand new ones coming out fixed now? Or are the new ones fixed to prevent that from happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreenberg
If you do buy it I'd buy it under the assumption that Cingular won't replace it. They may very well swap it but you won't know for sure.

If the price is substantially lower and you can't afford a new unit I'd say go for it. As you said, the dust is onlu noticible with the screen off.

KonTiki, sure there's something wrong with it. The seller has admitted so, the dust.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:09 PM   #400
KonTiki

PIN: 007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreenberg

What i mean is if it could be exchanged why hasn't the owner done so, so i agree with you I would consider it under the same assumption you suggest of it will not be exchanged. I know that at times it is very tempting to buy something at a great savings but like the saying says " If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. "

But on the same breath I will tell you that i have bought to BBs off e-bay the first was only about 4 weeks old and owned privately and I had no problems with it whatsoever. The second one was sold to me for a pittance ($30) and sold for parts. I got it looked at it, saw that it had an IT Policy in place, proceeded to remove it, called Verizon activated it and gave it to my son. My son did not like it and gave it back, I deactivated my first one and saved it for an emergency, and for the past three weeks have been using the $30 one as my BB. So the bottom line is that if you are willing to take the chance are a bit handy or resourceful then by all means even if it sounds to good to be ture give it a shot. But the final point I was trying to make is that I would expect the worst and hope for the best, and I wish you luck.

Running OS 6.0.0.524

Last edited by KonTiki; 02-13-2006 at 08:13 PM..
Closed Thread