Old 01-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
mark_n

Model: iPhon
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 02 UK
Default Advice needed for BB newbie.

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I am looking to get a BB Bold 9700 but I have a few questions.

Can you change the sensitivity of the touch pad? As the salesman from Vodafone didn't know if you could.

What is the real world battery life like? As I am a little sick of the battery life on my iPhone.

How well made are they?

Any advantages and disadvantages over the iPhone?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Options - screen keyboard, scroll towards bottom

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 01-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Welcome to the group, Mark.

People here who have the 9700 I think by and large are very happy with it.

See http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/BlackBerry_FAQ and browse, just to get a sense of the blackberry.

FYI, I recommend you have a blackberry data plan. That is, data service specific for the blackberry. You will not have use of the blackberry/RIM data applications if you do not.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
JRawlinson
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

As akosnitsky said, the trackpad sensitivity can indeed be changed.

My experience with the battery life has been great, and anecdotal evidence from others that I have read supports that also. Once fully charged, you can use the 9700 for a *long* time without needing to charge again.

The 9700 vs IPhone debate has been discussed ad nauseum and you can find plenty of arguments for each. It comes down to a personal preference.

The build quality on the 9700 has been a pretty hot issue with people coming down on both sides of the fence, especially as it relates to the trackpad and the side rails. My 9700 trackpad works fine, although it becomes a little iffy is your finger isn't completely dry. My side rails flex ever so slightly, but that's fine with me. It's a phone, not a brick. Any time you have dissimilar parts attached to each other you're going to get some of that.

My advice would be to read the specs on each, go somewhere you can pick them up physically, and spend about 10 minutes with each one. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRawlinson View Post
As akosnitsky said, the trackpad sensitivity can indeed be changed.

My experience with the battery life has been great, and anecdotal evidence from others that I have read supports that also. Once fully charged, you can use the 9700 for a *long* time without needing to charge again.

The 9700 vs IPhone debate has been discussed ad nauseum and you can find plenty of arguments for each. It comes down to a personal preference.

The build quality on the 9700 has been a pretty hot issue with people coming down on both sides of the fence, especially as it relates to the trackpad and the side rails. My 9700 trackpad works fine, although it becomes a little iffy is your finger isn't completely dry. My side rails flex ever so slightly, but that's fine with me. It's a phone, not a brick. Any time you have dissimilar parts attached to each other you're going to get some of that.

My advice would be to read the specs on each, go somewhere you can pick them up physically, and spend about 10 minutes with each one. Good luck.
No argument here. I am not good touching glass, so I will stay with a push button device or maybe a hybrid like the Storm 3. This is the first generation of touchpads. Things will evolve. I still miss my 7250 trackwheel. A better quality trackball may have been the answer which I am told would not have been costly for RIM. We shall see.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 01-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
stevebubble

Model: 9700
Carrier: vodafone uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_n View Post
Hi,

I am looking to get a BB Bold 9700 but I have a few questions.

Can you change the sensitivity of the touch pad? As the salesman from Vodafone didn't know if you could.

What is the real world battery life like? As I am a little sick of the battery life on my iPhone.

How well made are they?

Any advantages and disadvantages over the iPhone?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
I have just upgraded my iphone for the 9700 about 10 days ago. I dont miss my Iphone at all, if anything i spend more time playing with my blackberry than I did the Iphone which i absolutely loved.

I have no regrets at all upgrading to the bold from my Iphone and am well and truly converted to the blackberry!!
Old 01-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Battery life really depends on a few variables and only you can really answer the question. Basically it depends on whether you are in a good 3G area or a fringe area (fringe uses more battery as it is constantly searching for 3G), the apps you have running in the background, particularly data intensive apps, and your use - phone and surfing.

My guess is they would be somewhat comparable.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
rontiu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT Wireless

Battery life - this forum has discussed this topic quite a bit, and it all depends also on the software version we are using on the phone, either the carrier specific or a version from another mobile operator.

We can agree that some of the latest OS updates have been great in extending the battery life on the phone, I personally use the 0.423 and it has been an extremely good improvement over the OS the phone came with.
Closed Thread