Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheIndian View Post
Yet all you have to say is "Google is evil! All hail the RIM Gods!"
Google is evil! All hail the RIM Gods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
That has got to be one of the most ignorant statements ever made...

So according to you, BB's have not improved since the 850?

Oh my... You want some of my medications???

And I say............. Tartar Sauce!
I want an 850, and I would like some of your meds (but first what are they?)
*passes lunk some tartar sauce*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
We (or most of us, at least) are all aware of the recent data issues, and yeah, it sucked. Bad. And yeah, it made RIM look bad. But here we are, a day or two later, and we are rolling along again. RIM is still here, as are the customers that rely on RIM. And the earth has not stopped spinning in the correct direction. I'm not entirely sure how you translate all of this into the end of RIM, however. I really don't understand.
I quite liked it myself, gave me a break from reading facebook notifications... And seeing as I never learned about the outages till after, I don't think rim looked /too/ bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
Hasta-la-Pasta (that's Chinese for see ya!)
Can I have the pasta that we're hasta-ing?

now - as far as that article goes, I say this:
-I wouldn't trust anything by someone who goes by 'furballz'
-That same article could be swapped for World of Warcraft, or Comcast when their stuff goes out, or Qwest, or anything else for that matter... which just makes it not that important?
-and finally, maybe if said users had something better to do with their time than hop on facebook and cry (like the OP did maybe?) there wouldn't be a problem in the least.

And the reboot time on the Storm is trillions of times better than on my old 8100, so I agree with daphne even though I don't have a tour

These rants get stupid... because most of the phones mentioned are designed with things in mind that are vastly different than what RIM's designs keep in mind.
I still hands down pick the berry over the iPhone for everything, other than the web and apps. I don't have a need to have everything web-ish on my phone, that's what my $1,000 computer and 12mb internet is for... But to stay up-to-date and do all the corporate crap (my last job that was pretty dang important) is why I still have my berry. If I wanted a neat-o frito toy I'd go to anything else.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:55 AM   #62
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Google's network is still more reliable then RIMs...
That may be true, but I don't know that for sure, and I suspect you don't know that for sure either. One thing that is certain, however, is that even the mighty Google has failures. Even with all their supposed widespread and redundant structure, they still have failures. There are no 100% uptime guarantees.

Quote:
...and yes the iPhone design is tired and in need of a refresh.
Yep. But it still sells well, does it not? True, RIM doesn't make significant changes to the design of their hardware much any more, but are you sure that is what's most important? RIM sold 10 million phones in the last three months. 10 million! They are obviously doing something right.

RIM can definitely stand some improvement, as can their devices, but I'm not quite ready to suggest that RIM is failing and will be gone any time soon. I also believe that RIM knows a bit more about how to run a business on the scale of RIM/Apple/Google than any of us do... I'm willing to accept that they will likely change their business model if/when they feel that they need to. But it seems to me that right now, they don't feel the need to.

If they don't meet changing times successfully? Well then I'll cross that bridge if that happens and consider something else. In the meantime, I'm officially convinced there are too many Chicken Littles around here.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #63
ApacheIndian
No longer Registered.

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizditz101 View Post
I still hands down pick the berry over the iPhone for everything, other than the web and apps.
Rigggghhht... and those things are just afterthoughts I guess

Can someone say "Missing the big picture" --
Old 12-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #64
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Well, for some of us web browsing and apps on the phone are there for some convenience, not core functionality -- in other pretty much afterthoughts.

Your commentary here illustrates one of the big issues that I have with your approach to this. You assume that your core requirements are of course EVERYBODY'S core requirements. They're not -- they are yours and some others. And the fact that you are willing to assume that they are everyone's core requirements are what makes you guilty of hubris, and also make you a jerk.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #65
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
Well, for some of us web browsing and apps on the phone are there for some convenience, not core functionality -- in other pretty much afterthoughts.

Your commentary here illustrates one of the big issues that I have with your approach to this. You assume that your core requirements are of course EVERYBODY'S core requirements. They're not -- they are yours and some others. And the fact that you are willing to assume that they are everyone's core requirements are what makes you guilty of hubris, and also make you a jerk.
Well said!!!
Old 12-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #66
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post

(y )
Old 12-26-2009, 10:02 PM   #67
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (overwhelmingly stressed)

My reply is simply GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOgle GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOgle
GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOgle
GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOgle
Old 12-27-2009, 06:30 AM   #68
CoDudette
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

People, apparently we're missing the big picture, because our man Apache said so. and his word is golden! he's always right!
Old 12-27-2009, 07:43 AM   #69
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

Quote:
Can someone say "Missing the big picture" --
You haven't left yet? Please get over yourself and leave.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:49 AM   #70
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:

Can someone say "Missing the big picture"
Yes the majority of the posters here can say it, except they apply that statement to you... You are the one who truly does not get it and is missing the big picture...

Old 12-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #71
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

Go to the guys profile and you can see a recent picture of him. Only issue is that is a negative and it will take about 10 seconds with photoshop or paint to convert. Why is his picture a negative? He also is into world domination. Not sure if that involves firearms or leather goods.

Auf wiedersehen.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #72
ApacheIndian
No longer Registered.

Apps are the future. You can deny it all you want -- doesn't make it any less true. Everybody in the tech cognoscenti acknowledges this, it amazes me that y'all's views are so parochial -- your clinging to the "SECURE EMAIL" mantra is very early 2000's.

The iPhone's app store is going to have 300K apps by the end of 2010, Android's is going to have close to 100K by then. And BB's app store? Please. What a joke. And even if you do find a few you like you have to be selective in downloading them, lest your wimpy BB memory cave in. But wait! What about SECURITY????? haha -- what a joke, as if others aren't gaining rapidly on this.

RIM's days of business handheld hegemony are numbered, mark my words
Old 12-27-2009, 11:48 AM   #73
ApacheIndian
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
Go to the guys profile and you can see a recent picture of him.
Hey! That was taken during my pre-mullet days, as you can see now I look friggin great
Old 12-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #74
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

We've already marked your words several times.
First it was the Droid, then Google in general, and then The Cloud, back to Google, and now to Apps and the iPhone.

Eventually - one day - one of your predictions will be right.

The ultimate consumer. Believes everything.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #75
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

Quote:
Apps are the future. You can deny it all you want -- doesn't make it any less true. Everybody in the tech cognoscenti acknowledges this, it amazes me that y'all's views are so parochial -- your clinging to the "SECURE EMAIL" mantra is very early 2000's.

The iPhone's app store is going to have 300K apps by the end of 2010, Android's is going to have close to 100K by then. And BB's app store? Please. What a joke. And even if you do find a few you like you have to be selective in downloading them, lest your wimpy BB memory cave in. But wait! What about SECURITY????? haha -- what a joke, as if others aren't gaining rapidly on this.

RIM's days of business handheld hegemony are numbered, mark my words
In the business sector APPs may be less of a future trend than you think. At my company this year a fairly massive crackdown was initiated where quite a few APPS and sites were locked out. Facebook, twitters etc. are locked out. Laptops now have Signify software installed. Procedures were put in place to stop quite a bit of activity. Hell, for a while BlackBerrys were restricted as RIM was considered a trapdoor for government spying.

In this real world I wonder how something like cloud computing/google apps & databases/uncontrolled communication will be allowed to continue. Most likely the only people using them in the future will be uneducated consumers who do not understand the concept of corporate and government spying. Do you think a CIO will allow this stuff when he can go to jail for allowing access of certain corporate data to the outside world?

I think that the next 10 years will see increased government regulation, taxing of certain internet functions and as a result a retreat of the use of certain technologies by business. A second "dot.com" bust may be a real possibility.

Happy New Year.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:41 PM   #76
ApacheIndian
No longer Registered.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
I think that the next 10 years will see increased government regulation, taxing of certain internet functions and as a result a retreat of the use of certain technologies by business. A second "dot.com" bust may be a real possibility.
Interesting perspective. And with Obama as el jefe I cede that, for the short run, you may be right. But I stand resolute that web 2.0, increased "open-ness," mobile computing (and that's what Apple and Google do -- RIM does NOT), and the growth of the cloud will continue in size, scope, and prevelance in our daily lives. All of these elements represent the "invisible hand" in the tech sphere -- and in this country you can stymie capitalism but you can't stop it. Not even you Obama.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #77
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Apps are the future. You can deny it all you want -- doesn't make it any less true.

The iPhone's app store is going to have 300K apps by the end of 2010, Android's is going to have close to 100K by then.
Of the 300k in the iPhone store about 250k are fart apps and images called an app... Ditto for the Droid app store..

Before you spout numbers off thinking we are to stoooooopid to know the difference, please check your facts...

The bottom line is most the apps in these stores are junk apps, and fart noise makers... Come on man.... You gotta do better than that tennis shoe..
Old 12-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #78
ApacheIndian
No longer Registered.

(exasperated sigh...)

LunkHead, son, allow me to edumucate you -- ever heard of the long tail?

While I agree that 99.9% of those apps are worthless to me personally, or to you, or to Joe Six-Pack... 100% of those apps are used by someone. Let's not be so pretentious as to think you and I rule the universe.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #79
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Model: iFon4
Carrier: at&t

WOW, some things never change. It's still idiotic to come on a forum called BLACKBERRYforums and try to convince the members that another smartphone is better than a BB and it's just as idiotic to think that only one manufacturer makes good smartphones. I've said it b4 and I'll say it again...variety is the spice of life. BB's are awesome, iPhone is awesome, I hear the droid is pretty awesome and I'm betting the new HP smartphone is pretty cool too. To each his own. Find the one you like and be happy but don't try to convince someone else to like what you like, let them like what they like. Gadgetfanatic out!!
Old 12-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #80
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Proponents of cloud computing should read this article: Technology Review: Security in the Ether

No dout the security issues will be solved, eventually. But look how long we have been waiting for Microsoft to understand that if security isn't built in from the start, it is much more difficult to bolt on after. Indeed the openness built into the original internet protocols are still providing fertile ground for malware.