Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
waveriderjh

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMobile
Talking Creating Contact Groups- Advanced

Please Login to Remove!

So I have created Contact Groups on my Blackberry and assigned people to them. Now I'd like to do the following two things:

1. When I go into my contacts folder I just want to see the group names I created, not ALL of my contacts...is this possible?

2. WHen I go into my contacts folder and then press menu and then filter it shows me two lists, business and personal. Whats the point of these two items? Pre made groups? How do I assign people to them?

3. I'd like to assign a ringtone to each group I created so I know when people from work are calling versus my friends and family. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Old 12-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

1. No, not with Groups. That would be Categories and Filters.

2. Categories aren't groups. Two separate items.

3. Nope, not to Groups or Categories.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
waveriderjh

Model: 9700
Carrier: TMobile

Categories and Filters? I dont get it. I'm new to the smartphone thing and its smarter than I am. Im not a tech minded type so I need things explained in etch-a-sketch simplicity.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:36 AM   #4
rbrooks86
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveriderjh View Post
So I have created Contact Groups on my Blackberry and assigned people to them. Now I'd like to do the following two things:

1. When I go into my contacts folder I just want to see the group names I created, not ALL of my contacts...is this possible?

2. WHen I go into my contacts folder and then press menu and then filter it shows me two lists, business and personal. Whats the point of these two items? Pre made groups? How do I assign people to them?

3. I'd like to assign a ringtone to each group I created so I know when people from work are calling versus my friends and family. Is this possible?

Thanks,
1. No and Yes. You have to search by the group name to bring it up. There is not a way to list all the groups together as the only thing showing. The purpose of Groups is to send out either emails or texts to multiple people at once by entering the group name in the "To" section instead of entering their individual names one by one.

2. Filtering works by using the assigned category for each entry. When you edit an entry, there is a field called category. Click on it and it will give you a list to pick one from. When you exit it will ask you to save. If you wanted to assign a category to multiple entries at once I would do it using your desktop program, i.e. Outlook. You cannot assign a category to a named group list.

3. Yes and No. You cannot assign ringtones to groups or categories, but you can assign specific ringtones to each entry. To do it to an entire group would just be time consuming doing it one by one.

I hope this may have explained it a bit better for you.

Last edited by rbrooks86; 12-05-2009 at 02:40 AM..
Closed Thread