Old 08-31-2009, 11:27 AM   #21
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbwyr View Post
For that matter, my V551 had access to the internet too. Access is not why they are requiring it. They are requiring it for smart phones because typically people with smart phones use more data than those with dumb phones and therefore they are essentially creating a usage tier. If they required data on dumbphones they would begin to lose the cell phone market. They know that smart phone users are more likely to pay it.

As for the HDTV arguement...I think you are still missing the point. If HDTV had builtin decoder boxes and did not require a cable box to view the HD content, then you can bet the cable companies would find a way to charge more for having an HD set. The way things work now is in order to get the HD you have to pay for it from some companies to get the HD box. If you had to have a seperate decoder box to get data on your smart phone then they would not be requiring data because they could insure that only those who pay for it, get it. You are comparing apples and oranges here. In addition, you can use all the features of your smart phone short of cell service without paying a dime just as you can do all those things with an HDTV (games, camcorder, etc) without paying for cable service.
I'm probably not being clear. I certainly understand why a RAZR, Blackberry/PDA and Laptop have tiered data plans for those whom want a data plan, no argument there; that isn't the issue. In fact I have a phone, blackberry and laptop with the proper data plans. I also have three smartphones without a data plan because they don't need data.

I don't agree that having a smart phone that isn't using data, or a V551 not using data, justifies AT&T adding the data service. Is my having a smartphone adding to AT&T's costs especially when I can easily data block a line?

Why does it make any difference to AT&T what I'm using if I'm not using it on their service? They're charging for a service you aren't using and don't want, if you're fine with that, great; I'm not. Think that's the end of the story, check this out and AT&T will be following Verizon in a few months based upon recent history:

Verizon xxx8220;Enhanced Multimedia Phonesxxx8221; to require data plans, death of the Vpak, and more : Boy Genius Report

Just as the cable company needs a box+data service, AT&T can block data services to a line. The end device doesn't determine what service plan I'm allowed to use, I choose that.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:02 PM   #22
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio View Post
I'm probably not being clear. I certainly understand why a RAZR, Blackberry/PDA and Laptop have tiered data plans for those whom want a data plan, no argument there; that isn't the issue. In fact I have a phone, blackberry and laptop with the proper data plans. I also have three smartphones without a data plan because they don't need data.

I don't agree that having a smart phone that isn't using data, or a V551 not using data, justifies AT&T adding the data service. Is my having a smartphone adding to AT&T's costs especially when I can easily data block a line?

Why does it make any difference to AT&T what I'm using if I'm not using it on their service? They're charging for a service you aren't using and don't want, if you're fine with that, great; I'm not. Think that's the end of the story, check this out and AT&T will be following Verizon in a few months based upon recent history:

Verizon “Enhanced Multimedia Phones” to require data plans, death of the Vpak, and more : Boy Genius Report

Just as the cable company needs a box+data service, AT&T can block data services to a line. The end device doesn't determine what service plan I'm allowed to use, I choose that.

You were simply comparing apples and oranges before. I agree that AT&T shouldn't require data plans for those who have a smart phone but don't wish to use data. I only use data on a limited basis so requiring a plan will cost me money for nothing. However, I understand why they are doing it. It's because people can get an account with a cheap phone currently add the cheaper media net plan, then put the SIM in a BB and have unlimited data at half the cost. They tried giving limited users a break with PPU but because of the people manipulating the system they have decided it's cheaper for them to require a plan than to try and track what phones are on what accounts. The system does detect the phone that's on the account, but when it's an unlocked unbranded phone it is not able to because it is not on their system. Then there are those who tether with their BB without the tether plan that results in even more data used on a Media Net Plan. Once again those of us who are honest pay the price for those who cheat.

Of course as long as you have a BB on account and no data now, you are grandfathered in and as long as you don't try and upgrade you are okay. Just buy unbranded unlocked phones from Horizon when you need to upgrade.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #23
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbwyr View Post
You were simply comparing apples and oranges before. I agree that AT&T shouldn't require data plans for those who have a smart phone but don't wish to use data. I only use data on a limited basis so requiring a plan will cost me money for nothing. However, I understand why they are doing it. It's because people can get an account with a cheap phone currently add the cheaper media net plan, then put the SIM in a BB and have unlimited data at half the cost. They tried giving limited users a break with PPU but because of the people manipulating the system they have decided it's cheaper for them to require a plan than to try and track what phones are on what accounts. The system does detect the phone that's on the account, but when it's an unlocked unbranded phone it is not able to because it is not on their system. Then there are those who tether with their BB without the tether plan that results in even more data used on a Media Net Plan. Once again those of us who are honest pay the price for those who cheat.

Of course as long as you have a BB on account and no data now, you are grandfathered in and as long as you don't try and upgrade you are okay. Just buy unbranded unlocked phones from Horizon when you need to upgrade.
If you think AT&T was trying to give limited users a break with PPU, I have a bridge to sell you. A MediaNet plan with a BB doesn't do much for you. AT&T could even easier just detect the IMEI of a phone and if it has the wrong plan (MediaNet on a BB) just block data and send a text to the user.

They're doing it because Verizon did it and got away with it, and it increases their APRU. If they wanted to even be as much as fair, they'd force you to a plan or data block; that should certainly protect them.

If it was just AT&T subsidized phone, I could even get on board with that. But the reports are any smartphone, purchased from AT&T or other sources will have a plan automatically added. I liked Cingular but hate where AT&T is going. The only problem is Verizon sucks even more. That leaves T-Mobile and Sprint, neither of which have the network footprint of the big two.
Closed Thread