BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 01:20 AM   #21
stevemcoat

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I agree that when I take by Storm out of the holster, I would like it to stay locked, except to answer calls. When I take out the Storm and it is unlocked immediately, I can accidently push a function button and that is annoying. I might end up calling someone or taking a picture of something before I am able to do what I want. So there is no way to keep it locked when I remove it from the holster?
Old 08-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #22
scassel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW US

Wow, did this thread get confusing. It really doesn't need to be. I believe a lot of the confusion revolves around the definition and function of both sleep and lock.

Sleep - When inserted in to a "proper" BB holster (contains a magnet), the unit will go to sleep. This saves battery and prevents inadvertent key pushes. WITH NO PASSWORD SET, when you remove the device from the holster, it will wake up and be ready for use. If you are not interested in protecting the information on your device or do not want to enter a password to unlock the handheld, this is how it will function.

Lock - In order to realize this function, you must enable it in Options/Password. When enabled, you can tell the BB to lock upon holstering in a "proper" BB holster. You can also set it to lock after a defined period of inactivity. When set, there is no way to tell the BB to automatically unlock upon removal from the holster. That would completely defeat the purpose of the password protection. Most individuals password protect their devices to protect the information stored on the handheld or accessible through the handheld. If the feature the original OP questioned was possible, a magnet would suffice to retrieve information off a password protected (locked) BB. Not much protection in my mind.

There is no "mixing" of these functions. You either do not have a password set and it will function as defined by sleep or you do have a password set and it will function as defined by lock when used with a proper BB holster.

Sorry for the rant but hopefully this clears things up...
Old 08-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #23
RayVoy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Z30
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Canada

scassel, I don't think you cleared up anything, just added more confusion, as I'm sure I will.

Firstly, the device can be locked, and un-locked, without using a password. Just push the button on the top.

Secondly, a locked device can be unlocked by simply removing it from the Holster. You must have, at least, the 148 os (I think). And, I do believe this is the question asked in the original post.

Why do I use the lock and not use the password?

At this time, I don't feel the need for a password, but I lock it each time I Holster.

I have the memory clean set to operate on lock (1 reason), and I know (yes, it should be asleep), that a bang/thump/finger will not turn on an app and do something I don't want. In other words, I feel good about it.

Last edited by RayVoy; 08-13-2009 at 07:27 PM..
Closed Thread